SEC Pre(diction) Season: Missouri

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Why they’ll be good:

Maty Mauk, ladies & gentlemen

A pass rush that will be equally as productive despite losing Kony Ealy & Michael Sam. Markus Golden and Shane Ray got plenty of playing time last season and helped to keep Sam & Ealy fresh. They’re primed for breakout seasons. Their defensive interior will be strong as well.

Why they’ll be bad:

Depth – while last season, they were able to show what they could do with a fully loaded holster, they’re very talented up top this season in certain spots, but not as talented past the 1-deep as they were last year. Injuries could make this season look like their 2012 inaugural SEC campaign.

Schedule prediction

vs. South Dakota St. – W
@ Toledo – W
vs. UCF – W
vs. Indiana – W
@ South Carolina – L
vs. Georgia – L
@ Florida – W
vs. Vandy – W
vs. Kentucky – W
vs. TAMU – L
@ Tennessee – L
vs. Arkansas - W

Summary –

Replacing a long time starter at QB and several All-Americans on defense would the offseason story under normal circumstances. But the Tigers’ offseason started with Co-SEC defensive player of the year, Michael Sam, announcing to the world that he was openly homosexual. And for the next couple of months, it was all anyone wanted to talk about. Then, former 5-star WR Doriel Green-Beckham was dismissed from the team after repeated team violations. His departure (along with the loss of 2 senior WRs) puts an amazing amount of pressure on Bud Sasser and Jimmie Hunt to turn into reliable targets for Mauk. They got torched in the secondary last year with seniors EJ Gaines and Randy Ponder, now they replace them both with greenhorns. It may not get better. They will have a SOLID starting defensive front 4. Beyond that, it’s shaky. They get a favorable first part of their schedule and will probably get through unscathed (Toledo is solid, but won’t win…UCF is not the same team as last year, although it’ll be a tough out) before taking consecutive losses to South Carolina & Georgia. I have them beating Florida. And this one could go both ways. I picked them to beat Florida because they catch the Gators between 3 rivalry games. Florida plays (in the span of 5 weeks): @ Tennessee, vs LSU, vs Mizzou, BYE, Cocktail Party. I think Mizzou can catch them in a vulnerable emotional state and sneak up on them. And that’ll be the highlight of their season. I have them finishing with an 8-4 record, but that’s best case scenario since I can’t predict injuries. If they lose one or more players at the top of the rotation, it could go downhill fast.

Your thoughts?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think they can hit 9 wins, and possibly (depending on the WR situation and staying injury free) compete for the East. I really like Matty Mauk, bit he's going to need some help. They also need to find a solid replacement for Henry Josey. I think they are slightly being USCe and UGA, but have the best QB of the three...so you never know.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Nice evaluation of the Tigers! I too think it could be a 4 loss season, maybe 5. The Tigers lost a lot on defense from last year. Mauk filled in several game last year and did a good job. This kid can flat out throw the ball if given the time. Losing their go to receiver to a dismissal from the team is going to be huge on the offensive side of the ball.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
8 to 11 wins I think they will get 1 of the two out of UGA and UF but I give USCe the edge because they really are the only team to take mizzou serious both years. But TAMU won't beat them

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I have always believed the QB position is the most important on a team and maty Mauk proved last year he can play.

I think a 9 win season is do-able if only for that reason - but their D will have to show up as well.

Thanks Mack - good work with all your pre (dictions)!

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I agree with the having a 7-5 8-4 type season. The key game that is the difference is the Florida game. I am not sold on them going to the swamp winning.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Why they’ll be good:

Maty Mauk, ladies & gentlemen

A pass rush that will be equally as productive despite losing Kony Ealy & Michael Sam. Markus Golden and Shane Ray got plenty of playing time last season and helped to keep Sam & Ealy fresh. They’re primed for breakout seasons. Their defensive interior will be strong as well.

Why they’ll be bad:

Depth – while last season, they were able to show what they could do with a fully loaded holster, they’re very talented up top this season in certain spots, but not as talented past the 1-deep as they were last year. Injuries could make this season look like their 2012 inaugural SEC campaign.

Schedule prediction

vs. South Dakota St. – W
@ Toledo – W
vs. UCF – W
vs. Indiana – W
@ South Carolina – L
vs. Georgia – L
@ Florida – W
vs. Vandy – W
vs. Kentucky – W
vs. TAMU – L
@ Tennessee – L
vs. Arkansas - W

Summary –

Replacing a long time starter at QB and several All-Americans on defense would the offseason story under normal circumstances. But the Tigers’ offseason started with Co-SEC defensive player of the year, Michael Sam, announcing to the world that he was openly homosexual. And for the next couple of months, it was all anyone wanted to talk about. Then, former 5-star WR Doriel Green-Beckham was dismissed from the team after repeated team violations. His departure (along with the loss of 2 senior WRs) puts an amazing amount of pressure on Bud Sasser and Jimmie Hunt to turn into reliable targets for Mauk. They got torched in the secondary last year with seniors EJ Gaines and Randy Ponder, now they replace them both with greenhorns. It may not get better. They will have a SOLID starting defensive front 4. Beyond that, it’s shaky. They get a favorable first part of their schedule and will probably get through unscathed (Toledo is solid, but won’t win…UCF is not the same team as last year, although it’ll be a tough out) before taking consecutive losses to South Carolina & Georgia. I have them beating Florida. And this one could go both ways. I picked them to beat Florida because they catch the Gators between 3 rivalry games. Florida plays (in the span of 5 weeks): @ Tennessee, vs LSU, vs Mizzou, BYE, Cocktail Party. I think Mizzou can catch them in a vulnerable emotional state and sneak up on them. And that’ll be the highlight of their season. I have them finishing with an 8-4 record, but that’s best case scenario since I can’t predict injuries. If they lose one or more players at the top of the rotation, it could go downhill fast.

Your thoughts?
@ atm

Only one 1A team, Utah State with 7, returns fewer starters than does MO with 8. Single digits in this area does not bode well for a team. MO will do well to win 6 games this year.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
@ atm

Only one 1A team, Utah State with 7, returns fewer starters than does MO with 8. Single digits in this area does not bode well for a team. MO will do well to win 6 games this year.
That number is misleading. Many of the returning players played big minutes last season. But their depth is indeed questionable

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Schedule prediction

vs. South Dakota St. – W
@ Toledo – L
vs. UCF – L
vs. Indiana – W
@ South Carolina – L
vs. Georgia – L
@ Florida – L
vs. Vandy – W
vs. Kentucky – W
@ TAMU – L
@ Tennessee – L
vs. Arkansas - L

4-8 (2-6)

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Sounds about right, but I think they beat Tennessee. UF could beat them, as could UCF (I'm guessing they split the games). If they lose to anyone other than UGA, UF/UCF (toss up), A&M, or USC, things went poorly for them in either the injury or luck department. Even if they aren't as deep, they are more talented than the other 7 teams on their schedule.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Phillip Ely will probably be the QB at Toledo.

"Listed as co-No. 1 at quarterback on spring depth chart...Completed 17-of-30 passes for 220 yards and two TDs to lead Blue team to a 20-7 in the spring scrimmage."

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209433469&DB_OEM_ID=18000

If he is their QB, he won't even get his uniform dirty this season. Here's why:

"-When it came to protecting the quarterback and not allowing TFL’s, the Toledo offensive line was by far the best in the country ranking #1 in both as they incredibly only allowed 6 sacks last year despite being a pro-style offense. This year they return 9 of their top 10 guys (100 career starts) and are one of the best OL’s in the country." - Phil Steele

Toledo has also landed a Freshman WR, Chris Jones of Baltimore, that was originally signed by Wisconsin. And was expected to contribute immediately for the Badgers.

Potrykus article

Everyone may want to rethink their MO AT Toledo pick.​

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
That number is misleading. Many of the returning players played big minutes last season. But their depth is indeed questionable
I understand that, but Phil Steele did not have MO in his Top 40. I would think that any team he believed to have over 6 wins would be at the bottom of that list.

I believe MO was a flash in the pan last year and benefited greatly from the UGA and UF downward slide because of injuries. To believe that will continue would be like expecting *u to win several games in the same manner as last year.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I'm pretty sure ALA2262 is Phil Steele or he's the biggest Phil Steele disciple known to this planet.
:biggrin2: Now there's a thought. Anytime I quote him or use one of his charts in my writings, I could call it 'The Gospel according to ALA2262'.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I understand that, but Phil Steele did not have MO in his Top 40. I would think that any team he believed to have over 6 wins would be at the bottom of that list.

I believe MO was a flash in the pan last year and benefited greatly from the UGA and UF downward slide because of injuries. To believe that will continue would be like expecting *u to win several games in the same manner as last year.
To say that you are disregarding the fact their offense absolutely trounced Uga s defense and they made Floridas hyped up defense look horrible with a true freshman quarterback. I'll say they benefited in the Florida game with Driskel hurt but UGA with or without Gurley probably wouldn't made a difference because Sam and ealy were in the backfield all day long.
Make no mistake pinkel is a for real coach and mizzou is a better team than most people in the SEC give them credit for.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Mizzou could have a decent year and go 9-3. I believe their losses will be to UF, USC, and UGA - which sucks for them, they're all in their division! But then they win their bowl game, reach 10 wins, pretty solid. I am interested in seeing how their QB plays.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Before DGB got kicked off I would of had them winning 9-10 games. Now idk. I don't see them losing to Tenercee or A&M though. 9 wins is probably they best they could do. South Carolina is a toss up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Wheels come off at Toledo. They get back home against UCF and there are no brakes to stop the skid. Brakes fell off with the wheels.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.