Link: Stoops tired of Bama's Sugar Bowl excuses.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
While I agree that we don't need to be making excuses for losing those games, the first step in fixing the problem is identifying it. I think CNS nailed it. He wasn't making excuses, he was asked a direct question and gave an honest answer. The fact that Big Game Bob doesn't like it is irrelevant. Unfortunately, the press knows they'll get a sound bite by asking him about Bama, and he knows that the interviews give him media exposure to start lobbying the selection committee before the season even starts.
On a related note, the Oklahoma Board of Regents announced a multimillion dollar expansion to Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Turns out they needed the extra room for Stoops' inferiority complex...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I was watching CFB Live. Today and they showed their 'insiders'. Strength of schedule rankings . The ten hardest were

1. Utah. 6. Stanford
2. Barn. 7. Hawgs
3. Florida. 8. Washington st
4. A&M. 9. Cal
5. Viles. 10. Irish

Bama was rated 43rd and the Sooners were 52nd. It was funny because they really banged on Stoops for commenting on A&M's supposed weak schedule. They made a point of the fact Stoops complained last year that the bottom of the SEC wasn't very good , yet He wants to brag about scheduling the viles . The Viles being one of those lower tier teams. One commenter even said 'He wants it both ways'
Bama had the 2nd hardest schedule among the projected 5 power conference winners. Ducks were 30th and FSU had the weakest at 59th which speaks to the weak ACC as FSU plays a pretty tough OOC schedule. I know at this point as everything is pure speculation, but, Everyone knows you should just shut up Bob

Last edited:

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I don't blame him. Saying Alabama didn't show up is a backhanded way of saying that the victory was meaningless and downplays Oklahoma's role in the result. You can argue the first point, but few other teams could have beat Alabama the way that Oklahoma did.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I take what Coach Saban said as we just didn't prepare the way we should have. I feel like when the kickoff took place we played hard. If you don't prepare leading up to that kickoff though, you just don't play the way you can. The little things got us in the end.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
I take what Coach Saban said as we just didn't prepare the way we should have. I feel like when the kickoff took place we played hard. If you don't prepare leading up to that kickoff though, you just don't play the way you can. The little things got us in the end.
The in-game effort was fine, imo - but as you say, it was the pre-game prep that showed in our mistakes and turnovers.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was watching CFB Live. Today and they showed their 'insiders'. Strength of schedule rankings . The ten hardest were

1. Utah. 6. Stanford
2. Barn. 7. Hawgs
3. Florida. 8. Washington st
4. A&M. 9. Cal
5. Viles. 10. Irish

Bama was rated 43rd and the Sooners were 52nd. It was funny because they really banged on Stoops for commenting on A&M's supposed weak schedule. They made a point of the fact Stoops complained last year that the bottom of the SEC wasn't very good , yet He wants to brag about scheduling the viles . The Viles being one of those lower tier teams. One commenter even said 'He wants it both ways'
Bama had the 2nd hardest schedule among the projected 5 power conference winners. Ducks were 30th and FSU had the weakest at 59th which speaks to the weak ACC as FSU plays a pretty tough OOC schedule. I know at this point as everything is pure speculation, but, Everyone knows you should just shut up Bob
Gee I wonder who said that first? Oh that's right - it was me:

The problem here is that Stoops is trying to have it both ways.

Hey, his team won the game and you've never heard me say any different. Stoops can say "Alabama (Whatever)" and nobody can say anything. Ok, so he's tired of excuses.

But then he brings up aTm.

Uh.....

ATM 41
OU 13

If he's going to get tired of excuses, he can't then imbibe sour grapes.

Oh and speaking of OOC schedules, Bob, how is it you have a problem with Texas A/M playing ULM WHEN YOU JUST PLAYED THEM LAST YEAR??????

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I don't blame him. Saying Alabama didn't show up is a backhanded way of saying that the victory was meaningless and downplays Oklahoma's role in the result. You can argue the first point, but few other teams could have beat Alabama the way that Oklahoma did.
I agree no matter how you spread the butter when you are done it is still butter.They outplayed Bama, and deserved to win. Like you say few teams can say they beat us like that but they did. I do not blame him for boasting about it at all. Maybe the next time we get a shot at him we will shut him up.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree no matter how you spread the butter when you are done it is still butter.They outplayed Bama, and deserved to win. Like you say few teams can say they beat us like that but they did. I do not blame him for boasting about it at all. Maybe the next time we get a shot at him we will shut him up.
In my opinion that's the only positive way to approach it, rather than making excuses about, "we weren't fired up" etc.
Who cares if we weren't fired up?! That's not Oklahoma's fault!
They showed up. It doesn't matter about our poor "widdle" excuses about why we didn't.
The team that wanted the game more won the game, and they deserved it.
Again, it ultimately came down to turnovers. You can't fumble with the score tied 17-17, first and goal on the 8 yard line. We did. You can't throw interceptions in critical situations. We did, although it was the younger players fault because they didn't buy in, cough.
If the only game that matters is the next one, then we need to play the next one and forget the last one.
sip

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
In my opinion that's the only positive way to approach it, rather than making excuses about, "we weren't fired up" etc.
Who cares if we weren't fired up?! That's not Oklahoma's fault!
They showed up. It doesn't matter about our poor "widdle" excuses about why we didn't.
The team that wanted the game more won the game, and they deserved it.
Again, it ultimately came down to turnovers. You can't fumble with the score tied 17-17, first and goal on the 8 yard line. We did. You can't throw interceptions in critical situations. We did, although it was the younger players fault because they didn't buy in, cough.
If the only game that matters is the next one, then we need to play the next one and forget the last one.
sip
Agree

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Stoops is trying to make the SB win as important as his BCS championship win almost 15 years ago. Dude's desperate.

Gotta hurt to be the only coach to have lost three BCS championship games...

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
I've never seen more posts on any board about a game that didn't matter. Every Sooner fan could see from the kickoff that Bama wasn't as sharp as normal. I wish we had gotten Bama's A game, but I'm also realistic, football players are human. That game is history, time to move on. Let's play again in January!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've never seen more posts on any board about a game that didn't matter. Every Sooner fan could see from the kickoff that Bama wasn't as sharp as normal. I wish we had gotten Bama's A game, but I'm also realistic, football players are human. That game is history, time to move on. Let's play again in January!
We tend to post about it when Bob runs his trap about it.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've always understood when someone "stooped" to doing something, they were doing something beneath their dignity.

Here's how I found it defined on the internet:

stoop: lower one's moral standards so far as to do something reprehensible.
"Craig wouldn't stoop to thieving"
So now Bob Stoops stoops to taking cheap shots at Saban. Stoops... what an appropriate formal name for the coach fondly called Big Mouth Bob.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.