Link: Stoops tired of Bama's Sugar Bowl excuses.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Exactly.

3-0 is 3-0.

2-0 against a hampered Franny and Shula. And 1-0 in a game that the players didn't care about.

Woohoo, you go Bob!

Wait, what was the point again?
So, I guess Bama fans shouldn't dare bring up the 7 wins a row against Tennessee since they've been "hampered". Yup, those games didn't mean anything.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
So, I guess Bama fans shouldn't dare bring up the 7 wins a row against Tennessee since they've been "hampered". Yup, those games didn't mean anything.
I'm not disputing we're 0-3, which is a fact.

Are you disputing what I said, which were also facts? And where did I say the games didn't mean anything to the fans? Yes, the UT feelings would absolutely parallel ours, but they know all the turmoil under the surface of that 0-7 number. Numbers are a shallow representation of the picture as a whole.

Like you said, it is what it is.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Oh I hate it that we're 0-3 against that whiny old bat. Especially when we had the game won in Norman as massive underdogs, had them on the ropes as even bigger underdogs in Tuscaloosa, and decided we didn't have a clue in New Orleans. But it is what it is.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
All the Bama bashing by different coaches including but not limited to 'Bob Stoops and The Ol Ball Coach', serve only one purpose. They know they cannot compete in recruiting when going against Coach Saban so the have one option as they see it and that's to bash CNS and Bama every chance they get. CNS is easy to bash because any time his name or Bama is mentioned the media picks up on it. Really I see it as a good thing that they bash him because it keeps Bama in the mind of all the recruits and they know if their name is mentioned in the same sentence as Bama, they will be in the media headlines and the pro's will always remember them. All the way up until they get drafted. Most teams, I cannot name a single player on their team but most people who are college football fans can name at least one player that is on Bamas team.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'll be pulling for UT when they play Oklahoma this season. I'm just real tired of Stoops.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I don't care for Stoops one bit, but I respect what he's done at OU and frankly I didn't like all the excuses I've heard about us losing to them 7 months ago either. Saban got out -coached big time in that game on third downs and we got our tail whipped--it's as simple as that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I don't care for Stoops one bit, but I respect what he's done at OU and frankly I didn't like all the excuses I've heard about us losing to them 7 months ago either. Saban got out -coached big time in that game on third downs and we got our tail whipped--it's as simple as that.

Same. Hard to dispute Stoops' comments. We got whipped

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, we got ours handed to us. One can still attempt to explain why, further than the "they just whipped us."

I can say Alabama beat themselves and it not take away from what Oklahoma did. If Stoopsie feels that it is disrespectful for someone to say that, then I think he needs to check his inferiority complex.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Supposedly, one of the basics of Saban's process is to focus on the play that is happening NOW and dominate your opponent in doing so. How does someone square that with the idea of a "consolation game?"

To be clear, I am a huge fan of Nick Saban and the ways he has restored our program to life. I also am thankful and appreciative. A LOT.

With that said ,there is something about the consolation game bit that doesn't sit right. Was the staff and team focusing on the next game and dominating the opponent [Oklahoma]?

Too much simply doesn't add up within the framework of the way things are allegeldly handled within our football program. Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl was a most worthy opponent and they beat us convincingly. Our head football coach using terms like "consolation game" really sticks in my craw,

So, yes, I'm tired of Sugar Bowl excuses, too. Be a grownup about it and say they beat us, congratulate them, and continue to improve for the chance to dominate the next team on the schedule.

Thanks for letting me vent. ;)

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Supposedly, one of the basics of Saban's process is to focus on the play that is happening NOW and dominate your opponent in doing so. How does someone square that with the idea of a "consolation game?"

To be clear, I am a huge fan of Nick Saban and the ways he has restored our program to life. I also am thankful and appreciative. A LOT.

With that said ,there is something about the consolation game bit that doesn't sit right. Was the staff and team focusing on the next game and dominating the opponent [Oklahoma]?

Too much simply doesn't add up within the framework of the way things are allegeldly handled within our football program. Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl was a most worthy opponent and they beat us convincingly. Our head football coach using terms like "consolation game" really sticks in my craw,

So, yes, I'm tired of Sugar Bowl excuses, too. Be a grownup about it and say they beat us, congratulate them, and continue to improve for the chance to dominate the next team on the schedule.

Thanks for letting me vent. ;)
Agree 100%. If Saban or anyone on our team really used the phrase"consolation game' in describing the sugar bowl, that would tick me off too, though I probably would not have verbalized my frustration publicly like Stoops chose to do.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IIRC, the NCAA basketball Final Four has not had a consolation game in many years. Maybe it is a sign of the times that being #1 in everything, especially sports, makes for bad winners and bad losers. I can remember years ago playing for consolation in high school basketball, not much of a thrill then either, but I like to think we gave it our all. Social media, IMO, has fanned the flames giving poor sports and bitter fans a forum to vent their anger and spin endless numbers of excuses for losing a game.

If you are not in the final four team playoff, what are you playing for? The bowls benefit the coaches and players by giving them more practice time and possibly a nice trip to some place the players would have never gone. It has marginalized the bigger bowls and quite frankly, IMO again, has made the lesser bowls meaningless. I can honestly see that every bowl game but the one containing the final four teams is nothing more than an exhibition game, if you win that's great, if you lose no harm done except to the fans. The extra practice time and payout are the only rewards, which squares up with an NFL pre-season game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Didn't Stoops beat jimbo two yrs in a row a while back?

What does that have to do with anything? My post was in reference to someone saying Stoops is the man that "shut up the SEC." That title can only go to Jimbo since he coached the national title winner.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.