Michael Bloomberg on immigration and the economy

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: Micheal Bloomberg on immigration and the economy

I am ever the contrarian:) . Here is an article from The Atlantic that supports some of Bloomburg's claims about net migration. Easy read.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/07/americas-emigration-problem/309410/

The conversation about immigration reform centers on all the people who want to come to the U.S. But the flow of migrants in and out of the country has changed markedly over the past decade, as have economic conditions in both the U.S. and its traditional feeder countries—most notably Mexico, the largest source of immigrants by far. Perhaps it’s time to broaden the discussion beyond who’s coming into the U.S., and look at who’s leaving.

Pretty graphs in the link. Data sources are at the end of the article.

I await the ire of my fellows!
:)
You know the line: there are lies, darn lies and statistics.
The chart shows that 2005-2010 more Mexicans were returning than coming.
First, it does not address net immigration just net Mexican immigration.
Second, what happened 2005-2010 does not really address what is happening now.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Awesome avatar, dude.
Off topic, but, in his defense, CLK is the only UT coach in the last few years not to have a losing record in the regular season and the only Tennessee coach to come really, really close to beating Alabama. It took Mount Cody's heroics to hold onto that win.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I hate Bloomberg with a burning passion, but he's right. We need an immigration system that works, now more than ever. Unfortunately, the current system is a bureaucratic nightmare.
Perhaps, but we need the right people immigrating: semi-skilled and skilled labor. We have scads of unskilled labor that we are currently paying not to work. I am not sure how more names on the welfare rolls is going to to help us compete with the Chinese.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Off topic, but, in his defense, CLK is the only UT coach in the last few years not to have a losing record in the regular season and the only Tennessee coach to come really, really close to beating Alabama. It took Mount Cody's heroics to hold onto that win.
I just think he's a troll, being that he has that coach in that attire on this message board.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Perhaps, but we need the right people immigrating: semi-skilled and skilled labor. We have scads of unskilled labor that we are currently paying not to work. I am not sure how more names on the welfare rolls is going to to help us compete with the Chinese.

I don't agree. Rather than importing skilled labor to meet alleged shortfalls why don't we train our own citizens in a skill along the lines of Germany. Now business just applies for a H1-B visa allotment. Strange how those folks are usually paid less than the citizens they often displace.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I don't agree. Rather than importing skilled labor to meet alleged shortfalls why don't we train our own citizens in a skill along the lines of Germany. Now business just applies for a H1-B visa allotment. Strange how those folks are usually paid less than the citizens they often displace.

I knew you had redeeming qualities, SB:D

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

You know the line: there are lies, darn lies and statistics.
The chart shows that 2005-2010 more Mexicans were returning than coming.
First, it does not address net immigration just net Mexican immigration.
Second, what happened 2005-2010 does not really address what is happening now.
What is happening now? A poster asked for some stats that might support Bloomberg. I provided some. You're welcome.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Okay, fair enough. I'd support choking down the semi-skilled & skilled labor immigrants as well.
The only thing we absolutely do not need it (a) people who come here solely to become welfare recipients (b) MS13 and 18th street gang members that admit in the ICE interviews that they are murderers.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

And pay SS that they will never get, so Congress can go on fact-finding trips to Bali.....

Action Jackson

Suspended
Jan 12, 2014
Tennessee & New York City

I just think he's a troll, being that he has that coach in that attire on this message board.
I am not a troll. I come in peace!

I like to think fans of opposing teams can be civil with each other and be friends. I like to think I stay above the fray of the silliness that can and does occur.

As Tidewater alluded to, CLK is the last coach to do a great job at Tennessee, although Butch appears to be trending in that direction.

I am a big fan of Lane Kiffin. Trust me: I receive plenty of flak for it in Vol circles!

I am also a fan of Nick Saban, and I certainly respect Alabama. You guys have the best program in the country. I think Lane is going to help you guys out tremendously. You guys are loaded this year, especially. Lane is going to love using O.J. Howard and those three backs.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I think immigration is a great thing: the more, the merrier. We need the numbers if we want to compete with the Chinese in the coming decades.
Right..........bring in folks who are not literate in their native tongue, and that will grow the economy. How many folks do we need to mow lawns?

Actually, you are wrong in more ways than one. Mrs. Cuda just came back from a conference, on how standardized testing is a complete disaster. And ways to rescue the educational system. The keynote speaker came here from China. I won't try to paraphrase his speech, but you are the one in need of some education. I'll leave it at that.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

There is no shortfall. That is a myth.

Years ago, the big lie was "there is an engineering shortage!" Which is why every engineer I knew was out of work.

Turns out is was just a projected shortage of engineering students. (Of course there was a projected shortage! Kids weren't stupid enough to join a profession where you are unemployable at 45.)

First they replaced us with kids, right out of college. Dumb enough to work long hours, and get treated like crap. Eventually, they got older and wiser, so they had to go. Then they hired foreign engineers. Even more willing to work long hours, and be treated even worse. (Hey, no matter how bad we treated them, it was better than where they came from.)

Eventually, they got really smart, and figured our it was a waste of money to bring engineers over here, when we can farm it all out to engineers who are over in those other countries. Since we educated them, they can't be all that bad, right?

(Which is also why all the foreign engineers I know are now just as unemployed as I am. Amazing, isn't it?)

No, the current big myth is we need to keep them here, instead of sending them back home. If you believe that lie, well................look at who promotes that lie, and compare it to the rest of their lies. If you believe any of them, I have pity on your children.

So, there lies, dang lies, and then statistics. They are all lies. Believe them at your own risk.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I am not a troll. I come in peace!

I like to think fans of opposing teams can be civil with each other and be friends. I like to think I stay above the fray of the silliness that can and does occur.

As Tidewater alluded to, CLK is the last coach to do a great job at Tennessee, although Butch appears to be trending in that direction.

I am a big fan of Lane Kiffin. Trust me: I receive plenty of flak for it in Vol circles!

I am also a fan of Nick Saban, and I certainly respect Alabama. You guys have the best program in the country. I think Lane is going to help you guys out tremendously. You guys are loaded this year, especially. Lane is going to love using O.J. Howard and those three backs.

Cheers! :)
I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Also, welcome aboard.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I think immigration is a great thing: the more, the merrier. We need the numbers if we want to compete with the Chinese in the coming decades.
If this was a flood of educated Indians or Cubans who usually become conservative voters the Dems would pinch this off faster than a poop at a rest area after a long road trip. This is all about getting a permanent underclass who become dependent on welfare and hence dependent on the Democratic Party.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The ironic part of that is...............

The term "Hispanic" first appeared in the 1970 census. Ol' Tricky Dicky et al thought that one up, as a special interest minority group, to offset the blacks, who all started voting demoncrat, wholesale. The idea being that they were culturally conservative, with their Catholic heritage.

That worked out great, didn't it!

Caesar Chavez was against illegal immigration. It lowered the wages of his farm worker union cohorts. His group manned a "wetback line" (his words, not mine), to rat out the illegals to the INS. Of course, the big bidnis types hated unions, so they imported as many illegals as they could, to break the union.

That also worked out great!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.