Senate Candidate In Montana Accused Of Plagiarizing Master's Thesis (NYT)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/capito...nator-plagariazed-masters-thesis-report-says/

A New York Times report out Wednesday says Montana Sen. John Walsh plagiarized “at least a quarter” of his 2007 master’s degree thesis for the U.S. Army War College – a revelation that could seriously imperil the Democrat’s fall campaign bid.

Walsh was appointed senator in February 2014 to replace Max Baucus, another Democrat who left to be ambassador to China. The most recent Rothenberg Political Report ranking for the Montana Senate race is “toss-up/tilt Republican.”

That assessment may change in the wake of the report by the Times.

The senator told the Times “I didn’t do anything intentional here” and said he doesn’t believe he plagiarized.

====================

As author of a Master's thesis that required a truckload of research, I find this demeaning on the academic level. But here's something else - ever notice how EVERY SINGLE person accused of plagiarism has the EXACT SAME EXCUSE?

"I didn't do anything intentional here..."

What's funny is that the alternative is to believe the person awarded the degree is insanely stupid.

EDITED:

I should have noted he is IN THE SENATE right now. I didn't know about Baucus stepping down and this guy getting the job. Title should say "Montana Senator."

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Do you mean to tell me we have people in the Senate that are dishonest? I also have a Master's degree and I sure didn't get it by writing someone else's material.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Do you mean to tell me we have people in the Senate that are dishonest? I also have a Master's degree and I sure didn't get it by writing someone else's material.
You can probably count on one hand or at most two hands using your fingers for the count, how many are HONEST! I don't think you'll need to use any toes in this count. So if we use only fingers and all of them, that's only 10% that's honest. I say give them all a polygraph. I'm not sure any would pass!?! I guess they don't think "we can handle the truth" so that's justification for lying to the American people.

Some people lie to the American public and are applauded for those lies. I'll never understood this!

After all, the American people are disinterested in what's happening in this country as well as the rest of the world. They go to movies to see reality when none is there. Senior citizens are senile and don't know what's happening. Sometimes they can't even find the keys to the car they no longer have. So sad! Young people's brains are in their private parts (to some they are public parts) and they think with that brain and what they are thinking has nothing to do with our country or the world. This is even sadder! So, do we even have 1% who really care?

And we haven't even mentioned members of the House of Representatives.

I guess Nancy P. was honest one time. She said we'd know what's in the bill after it was passed. We're gradually learning more and more. It may take a decade, one of Lincoln's scores, or maybe a century to know what's in it. I would say a millennium but that's a long, long time. I'm still praying that that law will Pass from the scene of this horrible accident/disaster inflicted on the American people.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Dem. Montana Senator claims he had PTSD when he plagiarized paper

The only thing I'd like to know is.....which political consultant came up with THIS stroke of genius?

Typical liberal, though. "Boo hoo, I'm a victim of first, my illness, and second, the unfair press."

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

It said he would consider apologizing to the people he stole from. What is to consider? He admitted he did wrong, why not apologize to the people who actually did the research?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It said he would consider apologizing to the people he stole from. What is to consider? He admitted he did wrong, why not apologize to the people who actually did the research?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Idk but I'm sure the next step in this parade is to blame the opponent for the scandal.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I think that PTSD is in danger of becoming like racism as the de rigueur excuse for every failure to perform properly.
Not that there are no legitimate cases of racism (or PTSD), but to trot out that excuse every time someone in that particular category fails for some reason is getting a little tired. If the malfaiteur is black, the wrong-doing is because of rhe legacy of racism and slavery. If he was in the military, it is PTSD. The cry or "racism!" is getting a little old, as is the "I did it because of PTSD!"

Silverback

1st Team
Oct 5, 2010
Oak Grove

I think you are over-stating, PTSD has not been successfully used as a criminal or civil defense yet.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I think you are over-stating, PTSD has not been successfully used as a criminal or civil defense yet.
You are, of course, correct, but PTSD is not an uncommon "excuse" when a former service member does something wrong.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I have PTSD. Never once have I ever blamed anything I've ever done on it. (Maybe that and the academic aspect of it is what set me of)

(I'd be more sympathetic if this guy sort of flipped out in a restaurant when a fire truck with sirens blaring passed outside, but unless the standards at the Army War College are incredibly light - a THESIS takes MONTHS and sometimes YEARS to write; they usually get sent back multiple times for edits).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I have PTSD. Never once have I ever blamed anything I've ever done on it. (Maybe that and the academic aspect of it is what set me of)

(I'd be more sympathetic if this guy sort of flipped out in a restaurant when a fire truck with sirens blaring passed outside, but unless the standards at the Army War College are incredibly light - a THESIS takes MONTHS and sometimes YEARS to write; they usually get sent back multiple times for edits).
Thanks. I'm not the guy's shrink, but I'd be very curious to see what traumatic events this colonel experienced and how that influenced him to plagiarized one quarter of his thesis.
If he is merely grasping at a convenient excuse, then he is making light of a problem that many veterans do actually suffer from.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My son used to work in Montana. His editor used to describe the political climate in Montana on this wise: "Montanans lean heavily schizophrenic."

Silverback

1st Team
Oct 5, 2010
Oak Grove

You are, of course, correct, but PTSD is not an uncommon "excuse" when a former service member does something wrong.
I have heard it used but it has not been validated by the law. I hate the fact that some people try to portray all Veterans as fragile souls who are always near a melt-down. I would share a good OP/ED I read recently but I have already hijacked
this thread.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I have heard it used but it has not been validated by the law. I hate the fact that some people try to portray all Veterans as fragile souls who are always near a melt-down. I would share a good OP/ED I read recently but I have already hijacked this thread.
That kind of what I was getting at. I have no idea what has happened to this former soldier, but, man, did it really cause him to plagiarize his thesis? Or is he playing a "you can't criticize me" card?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.