Senate Candidate In Montana Accused Of Plagiarizing Master's Thesis (NYT)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Dem. Montana Senator claims he had PTSD when he plagiarized paper

For the life of me (maybe Staci can answer this)....I cannot figure out how in the world PTSD can cause you to plagiarize something and pass it off as your own. I can understand A LOT of things it could make you do - avoid Fourth of July fireworks because it reminds you of bombs going off, dive under the table when you here a siren, even attack someone who reminds you of someone who tortured you.

All of that - whatever we want to do to address it - I can understand THOSE things and a lot of others. But how in the world can this make you pass off something without attribution. I guess - and this is just a hunch - I guess he's going to try and argue that he "got sloppy" that he "forgot to put the quotes in" because "I was tired" and "suffering from PTSD."

But maybe I should counter with this notion: if he actually DOES have PTSD THIS SEVERE then for the good of the nation he needs to get out of the race. What if he wins and gets put on the Intelligence or Defense Committees? John Tower was turned down as Defense Secretary, primarily because the Democrats wanted to get even with Bush for winning but ALSO because he was seen as a risk to national security because of his drinking and womanizing. (It is indeed a delicious irony to me that this led to the ascendancy of Dick Cheney to Defense Secretary - all because some pols wanted to get even with the guy who beat them).

If he has this that badly, he needs to quit. Guess what? I'm sure they've already got a shrink hired to say, "He had it back then but he's cured now!!!"

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

It said he would consider apologizing to the people he stole from. What is to consider? He admitted he did wrong, why not apologize to the people who actually did the research?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well he had PTSD...that's why he'd only consider apologizing. What a doucher.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Well he had PTSD...that's why he'd only consider apologizing. What a doucher.

That's my big beef. I really don't care about him plagiarizing that much. If he had said "I was under a lot of stress after coming hom from the war and trying to finish my education. I apologize to those whose work I did not properly cite, to my professors, my school and my family. I hereby voluntarily relinquish my claim to the master's degree I was awarded", I would have respected him a lot. Now, I just think he is a low life.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

http://news.msn.com/us/senator-says-he-had-ptsd-when-he-wrote-thesis

This is the difference between Republicans and Democrats. The Republican would have resigned, the Democrat makes excuses.
Did Rand Paul resign after being repeatedly caught plagiarizing Wikipedia and the writings of others? When seeking examples of moral fortitude, Congress probably isn't the best population of study.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Did Rand Paul resign after being repeatedly caught plagiarizing Wikipedia and the writings of others? When seeking examples of moral fortitude, Congress probably isn't the best population of study.
No doubt. You typically don't see me touting the GOP or the DNC anymore. Let's just more times than not the Republican resigns and the Democrat makes excuses or laughs off the allegations of wrongdoing.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

We're not talking morality here, we're talking academic integrity. And it is not the GOP that asserts it's academic superiority or appeals to a Ivy League educations as proof of intellectual superiority. Consequently, there's a much higher standard once you've asserted superiority. It's no different than a Republican "family values" candidate being expected to not fool around. Rand Paul is supposedly a primitive Neanderthal, so such things should be expected. But too many academic snobs want to confuse college degrees with real world intelligence. You simply can't look down your nose as an intellectual superior and then be proven a fraud any more than you can play the family values card and nail the bimbo. Surely you can understand the difference. And for the record, I never called on anyone to resign - but once busted owe up to it. We're a pretty forgiving country but too many idiots don't realize that who hold office.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.