ESPN Show "Numbers Never Lie" Debunks Theory of Bama's Weak OOC Schedule

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This tweet is a few days old, but I just saw someone retweet it.

@ESPN_Numbers Over the last 7 seasons, Alabama played the 9th-toughest schedule in FBS and still outgained opponents by a nation’s best 14,047 yards.

Edit: I shouldn't have put "OOC" in the title. Mods, please change.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: ESPN Show "Numbers Never Lie" Debunks Theory of Bama's Weak OOC Schedule

It's been one of the best, even if presently unappreciated, runs in college football history.

Hopefully, we're still on it.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

Being the betting favorite in every single game dating back to Dec 2009 tends to make it look easier then it was or is. This will be appreciated by the SEC about as much as our 30 year win streak in Baton Rouge. Play on.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

This is all the more amazing when you consider it is a complete and total IMPOSSIBILITY that we can have Alabama on our schedule.

Just imagine if Arkansas hadn't imploded like they did recently when they were contenders how much tougher that SOS would rate.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Another point to be made: in at least 1/3 (probably more of those games) our STARTERS have been OUT OF THE GAME shortly after halftime if not before.

If the first string played every single play, it would be well over 20,000 yards.

In fact, it would be more - since the DEFENSE also gets to rest when the lead is huge.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

Another point to be made: in at least 1/3 (probably more of those games) our STARTERS have been OUT OF THE GAME shortly after halftime if not before.

If the first string played every single play, it would be well over 20,000 yards.

In fact, it would be more - since the DEFENSE also gets to rest when the lead is huge.
Add even more, because the other team's defense rests more when our second and third string offense is in.

Edit: also, the other team's offense is on the field more (against our back-up defense) when our first-team offense is out of the game and since we're talking differential in yards here, that greatly impacts those numbers.

Last edited:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

This is all the more amazing when you consider it is a complete and total IMPOSSIBILITY that we can have Alabama on our schedule.

Just imagine if Arkansas hadn't imploded like they did recently when they were contenders how much tougher that SOS would rate.
And Tennessee, too

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I was reading shaggy bevo the other day(Iknow, I know) ,I read a post about Bama the other day that Alabama was 2-3 in games when they were favored 7 points or less, but the most amazing thing about that stat was Bama was favored by a touchdown or less only 5 times in 5 years.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I was reading shaggy bevo the other day(Iknow, I know) ,I read a post about Bama the other day that Alabama was 2-3 in games when they were favored 7 points or less, but the most amazing thing about that stat was Bama was favored by a touchdown or less only 5 times in 5 years.
A 2-3 record in such games isn't great, but it's not that bad either.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

You didn't give a time frame but I would assume most of those 5 games were against LSU.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Here's another stat to show what Alabama has done during the run...

@BillBender92 Crazy stat: Alabama has more wins against top 10 teams last five years (14) than all but 5 FBS schools have against Top 25 teams. #RollTide

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

That is 149 yards per game more than the opposition on average, for 7 years running, playing SEC competition.

Simply. On. Another. Level.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I still find it hard to believe that there are people out there that still question Alabama, or really any SEC's teams SoS at this point.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.