Kenyon Drake Tweet

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
It is 16 in under 15 with less than 30 seconds rest. It's not the workout it is a conditioning test.
No way they're doing 16 with 30 seconds rest. Maybe that's the hope, but there's no way more than a couple of guys could handle that. That's incredibly difficult. Nope.

None of the linemen could do 16x110y at 17'' with 30" rest.

Last edited:

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
No way they're doing 16 with 30 seconds rest. Maybe that's the hope, but there's no way more than a couple of guys could handle that. That's under a 6 minute mile. Nope.

None of the linemen could do 16x110y at 17'' with 30" rest.
It is true but we only did 100 yards not 110. I did them when I played and we could not get pads until we passed. And I make my players do them now. Of course some can not make it but after a week of trying they are better conditioned and may then get pads depending on there level of effort.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It is true but we only did 100 yards not 110. I did them when I played and we could not get pads until we passed. And I make my players do them now. Of course some can not make it but after a week of trying they are better conditioned and may then get pads depending on there level of effort.
We did the same thing in HS - a long time ago. The time goal was based on each persons best 100 time - essentially had to stay within a few seconds of your best time before you could get practice reps. Guys that didn't pass the test got to keep running while the rest of us were practicing.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
It is 16 in under 15 with less than 30 seconds rest. It's not the workout it is a conditioning test.
That sounds insane. I remember my old high school conditioning coach would make us rest about two minutes or more between sprints because fast-twitch activities tire muscles fast and you need time to recover. It amazes me these guys can run so many 100's in 15 seconds.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That's nothing. I did this in HS... That's normal. Guys, calm down and for those who ran tracks before, that's not bad at all. Just think, they're practicing kickoff returns:)

Methylred

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 29, 2006
I say no way any of our linemen could do that, even with the extra two seconds. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I run 24-50's 4-5 times per week with about 60-90 seconds rest and serious stretching in between.
7.5 seconds, which for my age is pretty fast.
It took me about 10 months to get to that number and I'm in shape, but it still kicks my butt.
I can't imagine 110's in 16-17 seconds with 30 seconds in between. Maybe the first four or five, but those legs are gonna get mighty weak after about number six.
But, we don't have regular "humans" on our football team so you never know.
sip

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That's the point, that's what 4th quarter program is for.... That's why we wear our opponents down
I run 24-50's 4-5 times per week with about 60-90 seconds rest and serious stretching in between.
7.5 seconds, which for my age is pretty fast.
It took me about 10 months to get to that number and I'm in shape, but it still kicks my butt.
I can't imagine 110's in 16-17 seconds with 30 seconds in between. Maybe the first four or five, but those legs are gonna get mighty weak after about number six.
But, we don't have regular "humans" on our football team so you never know.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
That's the point, that's what 4th quarter program is for.... That's why we wear our opponents down
I imagine that's the goal, and obviously it has worked for the most part. Still, the backs, I can see--but those big linemen...whoa, that's a tough tough tough workout. Good for them for completing it.
sip

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
Direct quote from the handbook:

"The 16x110 conditioning test represents the ultimate test for cardiovascular conditioning, strength, endurance, and mental toughness."

Tough stuff but it separates the men from the boys!

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
In my opinion, this would be a pretty tough workout, especially if the coaches want it to be a conditioning workout. I've run track as a distance runner in high school and college, and I coach XC/track now. This would be a tough workout for anyone, especially considering the rest is only :30 seconds. It would be tough on distance runners because they don't normally have the fast-twitch muscles that sprinters do. It's tough on the sprinters because of how many they would have to do. It's tough on the big guys because they have to carry that extra weight.

The workout would start as an anaerobic workout, forcing the body into oxygen debt. But, due to the number of intervals, it turns into an aerobic workout in the end. So it's a conditioning workout that is working two different body energy systems. Great, great workout. My distance runners would accomplish the same kind of workout doing 200-400 meter hill repeats, or doing ladders at race pace with only a 1:1 or 1:.5 rest.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
In my opinion, this would be a pretty tough workout, especially if the coaches want it to be a conditioning workout. I've run track as a distance runner in high school and college, and I coach XC/track now. This would be a tough workout for anyone, especially considering the rest is only :30 seconds. It would be tough on distance runners because they don't normally have the fast-twitch muscles that sprinters do. It's tough on the sprinters because of how many they would have to do. It's tough on the big guys because they have to carry that extra weight.

The workout would start as an anaerobic workout, forcing the body into oxygen debt. But, due to the number of intervals, it turns into an aerobic workout in the end. So it's a conditioning workout that is working two different body energy systems. Great, great workout. My distance runners would accomplish the same kind of workout doing 200-400 meter hill repeats, or doing ladders at race pace with only a 1:1 or 1:.5 rest.
We used to end some of our workouts with laps around the track. Sprint the straightaways and jog the curves. We'd probably put in an extra mile doing that...so 8 sprints...with the main purpose to teach your body how to switch to "sprint mode" for the last 800m or so.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.