SEC Pre(diction) Season : LSU

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wow...not too many are bullish on LSU. I'll say this. They're the only team in the country that can match us for talent top to bottom. And despite what he'd like us to believe, Les Miles isn't an idiot and is actually a really good coach. And I can't say enough about how highly I think of John Chavis as a coach. I have a ton of respect for their team and coaching staff, and understand that they're a legitimate threat in the west every year .
Yeah on every other year that they would have lost this much experience I would say 8 to 10 wins, but bama and auburn have a greater combination of talent and experience than they do. I think their chance here is auburn because auburns defense might not live up the hype of improvement but the game is at JhS so doubt they pull it off
Then you got teams with more experienced and proven 1st strings like UF,Miss, and MSu. I could see them winning one but I'm not convinced yet
Then Whisky. Yes I said Wisconsin will be hard for them. If Wisconsin plays big man football against them it could mean trouble for a young tiger team trying to find an identity in the face of adversity.
I'm sayin no worse than 6 wins but no better than. 9

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I hope they lose one game, and I hope it's against us. They have had great success defending Auburn, Manzeil, and other hurry up schemes, so I don't think Auburn can beat them--- and I don't think Florida can match up with them at all.
Fournette is the real deal, and with four O-linemen returning, you better believe they're going to pound it.
I think the west will come down to them or us, especially since Auburn isn't a "surprise" team anymore.
I'll say they'll go 11-1, and that's assuming we whip them down there, which isn't a given at all.
There's one team in the conference who has as much talent as us, and it's them.
They're gonna be very good.
sip

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I was in Baton Rouge during the 2009 season and what struck me about LSU and their fans is if they lose a game or two they get demoralized and can easily lose another game or two because of it.

Without a decent QB and their tendency on offense to be pretty conservative I could see them go anywhere from 10-2 to 8-4. I know that's a wide disparity but considering their personality you can never say for sure what they'll be able to accomplish.
Also take into account lsu was still more experienced than they are now.Also they had the last SAban recruited defense with Patrick Peterson as an addition. Also their skill group on offense was still above average. And it was sabans return to baton rogue so it was very hyped.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I hope they lose one game, and I hope it's against us. They have had great success defending Auburn, Manzeil, and other hurry up schemes, so I don't think Auburn can beat them--- and I don't think Florida can match up with them at all.
Fournette is the real deal, and with four O-linemen returning, you better believe they're going to pound it.
I think the west will come down to them or us, especially since Auburn isn't a "surprise" team anymore.
I'll say they'll go 11-1, and that's assuming we whip them down there, which isn't a given at all.
There's one team in the conference who has as much talent as us, and it's them.
They're gonna be very good.
sip
They lose a chunk of that defense, their best quarterback in miles tenure, and lose quiet a bit of skill players. Lsu has never really been an offensive team and has relied on their defense to bail them out. Their defense is very young and talented, and I will agree fournette may be a great, but the loss of zach mettenberger might be the nail in the coffin.
A lot of talk has been directed at bama at replacing a qb, but really it doesn't matter with the proven skill talent on offense if the qb is a nfl talent or not. I think for LSU that is not the case because what zach mettenberger did was gash an over agressive defense and prevented them from consistently loading the box so his running backs roamed free. If this new qb can't stretch the field it's going to be a long year.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
They lose a chunk of that defense, their best quarterback in miles tenure, and lose quiet a bit of skill players. Lsu has never really been an offensive team and has relied on their defense to bail them out. Their defense is very young and talented, and I will agree fournette may be a great, but the loss of zach mettenberger might be the nail in the coffin.
A lot of talk has been directed at bama at replacing a qb, but really it doesn't matter with the proven skill talent on offense if the qb is a nfl talent or not. I think for LSU that is not the case because what zach mettenberger did was gash an over agressive defense and prevented them from consistently loading the box so his running backs roamed free. If this new qb can't stretch the field it's going to be a long year.
It takes a capable QB to "distribute the ball", no matter how good your skill players are.
Coach Saban made that a point in his interviews with ESPN this week.
So who is our QB who is a lock to be able to do that, the one who gives us the huge advantage over poor LSU?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It takes a capable QB to "distribute the ball", no matter how good your skill players are.
Coach Saban made that a point in his interviews with ESPN this week.
So who is our QB who is a lock to be able to do that, the one who gives us the huge advantage over poor LSU?
If you think they go 11-1 with the inexperience and young talent going through a very difficult SEC west schedule then that's your prediction. I just don't see more than 9 wins giving the fact they will have to come together right out of the gate against a far better team than West Virginia and has an offense that can cause them problems, and then they have to play probably one of the deepest SEC West divisions in a long time.Alabama has time to gel before Florida, not to write of WV but their defense hasn't been the same since the Big East days.
I'm not saying they are horrible but they will be a potential huge step back from what they have been. But I think agree to disagree
As for the bama qb situation... I rather not start that again til august

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think LSU is one of these teams that makes me understand why other people get tired of Bama in the off-season when we're seemingly "losing so much" but are still thought of as a clear contender.

LSU simply does not seem like they be competing for a conference title with no QB, lots of WRs gone, etc but a strong running game and an always solid defense has them in that preseason top-10 area yet again. I imagine they'll be a tough team but I see 10-2 as their ceiling. They could beat a great team on a good night (a la Alabama).

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
LSU will probably win 10-11 games this year. They just have so much talent. I also think they beat the barn again. Chavis seems to have the HUNH all figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LSU will probably win 10-11 games this year. They just have so much talent. I also think they beat the barn again. Chavis seems to have the HUNH all figured out.

Maybe . Because if you remember last year it was a downpour early in the season in tiger stadium and lsus offense jumped on them d 1st half but the second half was the turning point in auburns season and they finally looked in sync, and this year it is at Jordan hare where the officials always give auburn bogus calls.
I think lsu will lose to Atleast one if not both missippii schools because their defenses have the personnel to stop the run and the offenses to score on this young defense. Florida will be a tough game for lsu if Florida is 100% and les has only one win in the swamp and it's going to be for mushmouth s job

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Maybe . Because if you remember last year it was a downpour early in the season in tiger stadium and lsus offense jumped on them d 1st half but the second half was the turning point in auburns season and they finally looked in sync, and this year it is at Jordan hare where the officials always give auburn bogus calls.
I think lsu will lose to Atleast one if not both missippii schools because their defenses have the personnel to stop the run and the offenses to score on this young defense. Florida will be a tough game for lsu if Florida is 100% and les has only one win in the swamp and it's going to be for mushmouth s job
True but still had it not been for that downpour, LSU would have done even more to them on offense and had an much bigger lead. Also in the 2nd half that stadium had like maybe 40k left in it. The barn wasn't going to win that game no matter what.

Last edited:

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
No way to explain the Ole Miss loss last year other than to simply say that it was a complete egg laid by LSU. Defense was just DOA in Oxford and the offense turned it over too many times and made too many dumb mistakes. As a whole, it was probably one of the worst games they've had under Miles, but I do think it's a mistake to take a one-off game like that and extrapolate it to mean larger things.

Again, QB -- as seemingly always -- will be the real concern in Baton Rouge, but the run game and the offensive line should be strong. Ditto for special teams. Defense is the big question mark, but most expect it to make a big bounce-back this season, myself included. I don't see a national championship contender, mind you, but I do imagine they are around ten wins and a serious threat to every team on the schedule. No one is just walking over them, you'll have to claw tooth and nail to take them down.
If I'm not mistaken, the Ole Miss game was the 5th or 6th straight conference game in as many weeks. Scheduling takes a toll. The UT game of '09 was our 5th consecutive SEC game while Tennessee had a bye (iirc). That game came down to the wire, and shouldn't have been close.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
LSU has some challenges they'll have to overcome. New QB that'll be pretty inexperienced either way, lost two absolute studs at WR...I wonder if Boone is back? But while the defense was young last year, they've got probably the best two young CBs in the SEC.

Every year we think they may take a step back they are the same ol' LSU. Tough, scrappy, and they improve over the course of the season. IMO they will again reach double digit wins, most likely go 10-2 with losses to us (they're gonna be out for blood though in BR) and UF (game is in the Swamp and I think Muschamp will have his boys playing at a really high level).

Still, 10-2 is a heck of a season and they will be playing for an 11 win season, likely against a quality opponent...OU in the Cotton, MSU in the Capital One.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Schedule prediction

vs. Wisconsin – W
vs. Sam Houston St. – W
vs. La-Monroe – W
vs. Mississippi St. – W
vs. New Mexico St. – W
@ Auburn – L
@ Florida – L
vs. Kentucky – W
vs. Ole Miss – W
vs. Bama – L
@ Arkansas – L
@ TAMU – W

8-4 (4-4)

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I'll gladly come and eat my crow if I'm wrong, but for the life of me I just can't see LSU languishing at 8-4 or worse. I agree that they have fallen a bit since 2011 -- which, in fairness, is natural because that was an absolute monster team they had, 21-0 or not -- but that's still a really talented team with some very good coaches on both sides of the ball.

And yes, QB play is a concern, but when is it not with LSU? This is a team that routinely wins a lot of football games even with subpar QB play, and that has been the case for many years now. Don't really expect we'll see it change this year, either.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, the Ole Miss game was the 5th or 6th straight conference game in as many weeks. Scheduling takes a toll.
That wasn't really the case. LSU had played four or five SEC opponents in a row coming into Oxford, but that was essentially a wash because Ole Miss was just coming off back-to-back-to-back games against Alabama, Auburn, and Texas A&M. Again, just a strange turn of events, no easy explanation to it.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I like LSU to win a lot of games behind their very good OL and strong group of RBs. Chavis is a good coordinator and the stupid HUNH ofenses don't do much sitting on the bench watching their defense get pounded to pulp on 4 and 5 yard carries. I see them losing 2-3 games this year. They do have a lot to replace and I just think Les is good for losing one game they ought to win. I will be very surprised if they are not playing at a high level by November and expect them to give us all we want. In fact, our defensive front vs. their offensive line may be the matchup of the season in the SEC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.