SEC Pre(diction) Season : LSU

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Why they’ll be good

Talent, talent, talent
Offensive line continuity (4 returning starters)

Why they’ll be bad

They won’t, but by their own lofty standards, they won’t see it as a good season. The attrition they’ve faced over the past two seasons with so many underclassmen jumping ship to the NFL will catch up with them in the meat of their schedule.

Schedule prediction

vs. Wisconsin – W
vs. Sam Houston St. – W
vs. La-Monroe – W
vs. Mississippi St. – W
vs. New Mexico St. – W
@ Auburn – L
@ Florida – L
vs. Kentucky – W
vs. Ole Miss – W
vs. Bama – L
@ Arkansas – W
@ TAMU – W

Summary

Like most LSU teams that have taken the field since 2002, this team is loaded with talent. The difference is that most of the guys in key positions have limited experience. They lose a two year starter at QB and replace him with either a freshman who showed flashes to defeat Arkansas, but was anything but special in the bowl game OR with a true freshman. They lose their top 3 receivers from past season in WRs Odell Beckham, Jr & Jarvis Landry and RB Jeremy Hill who all went pro. They’re deep at both positions with plenty of guys who have played meaningful minutes. They return 4 starters on their offensive line and on paper should have the best line in the conference.

Their defense will be young as well. Both starting tackles (Ego Ferguson & Anthony Johnson) bolted for the league and must be replaced. Can Kwon Alexander stay healthy at linebacker? Will the light come on for super talented LB Kendell Beckwith?

I think Auburn, Florida, and Bama’s experience will defeat them in 3 of their 5 biggest games. Of course, by the time they play Bama & Ole Miss, they won’t be freshmen anymore. This team, if it stays intact, will do very special things down the road. Most teams that take lumps don’t end up with a 9 win season. But the bar is set high in Baton Rouge. I have them going 9-3 and to the Capital One or Chik-Fil-A Bowl.

Your thoughts?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
vs. Wisconsin – W
vs. Sam Houston St. – W
vs. La-Monroe – W
vs. Mississippi St. – W
vs. New Mexico St. – W
@ Auburn – W
@ Florida – L
vs. Kentucky – W
vs. Ole Miss – W
vs. Bama – L
@ Arkansas – W
@ TAMU – W

I've got them going 10-2. They seem to do real well against offenses like Gus'. They'll beat Auburn. The Chief has assembled the type of talent on defense and implements a scheme that render that type offense as no real big threat to them.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I do not think they lose at Florida. The barn game is a toss up but the home team has the slight advantage. I know some will disagree with me, but I think Bama loses to them this year. One of those Auburn beats them but loses to us years. They could drop another game somewhere and likely will.I see them around 10-2 when all the dust settles.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I do not think they lose at Florida. The barn game is a toss up but the home team has the slight advantage. I know some will disagree with me, but I think Bama loses to them this year. One of those Auburn beats them but loses to us years. They could drop another game somewhere and likely will.I see them around 10-2 when all the dust settles.
I'm concerned about going in there as well. We both get bye weeks before the game though. I think we'll fare ok

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I se e them 10-2 or 11-1 the LSU and Alabama game could decide the SEC west. Auburn is key as well. I dlnt see them losing to LSU. I expect Auburn to have more losses than Lsu

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
8-4 and they'll be digging for that. Meaning their brand new running back is all that and their starting QB can read a defense a little. Johnny Football's spread is really the only team we just never showed a lot of aptitude to stop. LSU's scheme against the aggies, just much more effective. On the other hand, how did the tiger's lose to a depleted, limping, Ole Miss team with spread concepts? Trouble is where you find it. I think LSU, this season, will find their fair share.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
8-4 and they'll be digging for that. Meaning their brand new running back is all that and their starting QB can read a defense a little. Johnny Football's spread is really the only team we just never showed a lot of aptitude to stop. LSU's scheme against the aggies, just much more effective. On the other hand, how did the tiger's lose to a depleted, limping, Ole Miss team with spread concepts? Trouble is where you find it. I think LSU, this season, will find their fair share.
Kenny Hilliard & Terrance Magee are still there. Don't let the hype machine fool you. Like the past 3 seasons, they'll have a 3-4 headed monster at RB and rely on their massive offensive line to lead the way.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Kenny Hilliard & Terrance Magee are still there. Don't let the hype machine fool you. Like the past 3 seasons, they'll have a 3-4 headed monster at RB and rely on their massive offensive line to lead the way.
Not listening to necessarily any hype coming out of Oxford. But enough good SEC teams to make their QB beat em with his arm. Mistake free football will be needed cause loading the box will be the norm and these spread teams are scoring lots of points. Didn't like the way the tigers finished with the Mett. They haven't reached special since 2011. If they get there again, then Less is all that.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I see 9-3 or 10-2. Thet are at a point where the losses the last two years could really make a difference and cost them a game. I do, however, believe the Fournette hype...the kid will help lead a ridiculously good LSU rushing attack that will keep them in most any game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
With all the new QBs... teams are likely to load the boxes and make the new QBs beat the teams with their arm. I see LSU struggling later in season, because of their new QBs...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Absolutely. I have no idea where those "LSU run game is DOA" delusions are coming from, but they are nonsense. Even without Hill and Blue, they still have a couple of talented backs returning, and obviously the influx of Fournette as well, so the talent is certainly there. Besides, it's pretty easy to plug-and-play at tailback, especially when you have the OL strength that they have.

Ineffective QB play may stall the offense, but the run game will be just fine provided that the QB play doesn't devolve into a dumpster fire.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
On the other hand, how did the tiger's lose to a depleted, limping, Ole Miss team with spread concepts? Trouble is where you find it. I think LSU, this season, will find their fair share.
No way to explain the Ole Miss loss last year other than to simply say that it was a complete egg laid by LSU. Defense was just DOA in Oxford and the offense turned it over too many times and made too many dumb mistakes. As a whole, it was probably one of the worst games they've had under Miles, but I do think it's a mistake to take a one-off game like that and extrapolate it to mean larger things.

Again, QB -- as seemingly always -- will be the real concern in Baton Rouge, but the run game and the offensive line should be strong. Ditto for special teams. Defense is the big question mark, but most expect it to make a big bounce-back this season, myself included. I don't see a national championship contender, mind you, but I do imagine they are around ten wins and a serious threat to every team on the schedule. No one is just walking over them, you'll have to claw tooth and nail to take them down.

Last edited:

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
No way to explain the Ole Miss loss last year other than to simply say that it was a complete egg laid by LSU. Defense was just DOA in Oxford and the offense turned it over too many times and made too many dumb mistakes. As a whole, it was probably one of the worst games they've had under Miles, but I do think it's a mistake to take a one-off game like that and extrapolate it to mean larger things.

Again, QB -- as seemingly always -- will be the real concern in Baton Rouge, but the run game and the offensive line should be strong. Ditto for special teams. Defense is the big question mark, but most expect it to make a big bounce-back this season, myself included. I don't see a national championship contender, mind you, but I do imagine they are around ten wins and a serious threat to every team on the schedule. No one is just walking over them, you'll have to claw tooth and nail to take them down.
I don't take one game. I think they've lost some flash since our meeting in the superdome. It's up to them to get back. 8-4 says they don't make auburn at the barn, Florida at the swamp, Bama just because we are better and TAMU, the last game of the season at Kyle field. They still have to match up with Ole Miss and Miss State. I'll watch with interest against Wisconsin, just in case the badgers have a decent QB tucked away somewhere.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Wow...not too many are bullish on LSU. I'll say this. They're the only team in the country that can match us for talent top to bottom. And despite what he'd like us to believe, Les Miles isn't an idiot and is actually a really good coach. And I can't say enough about how highly I think of John Chavis as a coach. I have a ton of respect for their team and coaching staff, and understand that they're a legitimate threat in the west every year .

Action Jackson

Suspended
Jan 12, 2014
Tennessee & New York City
I don't think the Tigers will miss Jeremy Hill that much. I think Hilliard is one of the best backs in the conference, along with the Alabama three and the Georgia two. Also, watch out for Leonard Fournette.

I'll be interested to see Malachi Dupre, too.

I see LSU winning ten and losing to the two Alabama schools. I'm not particularly high on Florida, because I don't think too highly of Muschamp. I don't think much of their new OC, Kurt Roper, either.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think spotty QB play will cost them
I was in Baton Rouge during the 2009 season and what struck me about LSU and their fans is if they lose a game or two they get demoralized and can easily lose another game or two because of it.

Without a decent QB and their tendency on offense to be pretty conservative I could see them go anywhere from 10-2 to 8-4. I know that's a wide disparity but considering their personality you can never say for sure what they'll be able to accomplish.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.