Top 5 Concerns for a 2014 Title run

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If the good news is that we have 3 returning OL starters then that may not be such good news. If we are to win the SEC West, the SECC and be one of the final 4 we desperately need a dominant OL and a kicker who can be automatic from at least 30-40 yards.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Name one top flight QB we will face this year?

DBs will be fine
In 2010, was Stephen Garcia a top-flight QB? What about Jordan Jefferson and that other guy whose name I forget? What about Trevor Knight, was he a top-flight QB? *rests case*. Plenty of reason to be concerned.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Ryan Kelly will be the C all year barring injury. Arie has a shorter leash. I think Shephard is in good shape.

As others have said - DL is as good as it's ever been under Saban. We don't have an elite, 1st round NT, but we have depth all over the place like I've never seen.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think we need a left guard too but that's just my opinion.
I wouldn't disagree with the LG. He got blown up badly on 3rd and 1 at the 20 on our first drive and first subsequent FG miss against AU. He was also the culprit in the motion penalty that took 3 points off the board and the missed FG retry.

I was also surpirsed by his SEC pre-season selection but Coach Saban has singled him out for praise as well so maybe he's gotten better.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I wouldn't disagree with the LG. He got blown up badly on 3rd and 1 at the 20 on our first drive and first subsequent FG miss against AU. He was also the culprit in the motion penalty that took 3 points off the board and the missed FG retry.

I was also surpirsed by his SEC pre-season selection but Coach Saban has singled him out for praise as well so maybe he's gotten better.
I think most fans hope for the best with Arie and want him to succeed but past performance is the best indicator of future success and.. uh... I'll leave it at that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If the good news is that we have 3 returning OL starters then that may not be such good news. If we are to win the SEC West, the SECC and be one of the final 4 we desperately need a dominant OL and a kicker who can be automatic from at least 30-40 yards.
Not to nickpick, put to be "automatic" from 30-40 yards is a tall order. Don't know what a great percentage is from that distance, but I agree we need better consistency.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Not to nickpick, put to be "automatic" from 30-40 yards is a tall order. Don't know what a great percentage is from that distance, but I agree we need better consistency.
If we have genuine problems this season, here is where I fear the most. Not OL and not QB, way too much talent and options. Can we kick a field goal when it matters most? It's painful to think about recent losses that were totally unnecessary because we couldn't kick a less than average field goal and the price we paid. But then I'm the guy who still thinks about the Arky fiasco with Tiffin.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
One thing not mentioned is linebacker. C.J. made tackles all over the field, directed the defense and probably saved us 500 yards of explosive plays on instincts alone. Trey is bigger, experienced, but at least a step slower. Whoever plays with him is not only trying to fill enormous shoes but has almost no meaningful game experience. Potential, sure. Important snaps, not yet.

DePriest without Mosely, and a newcomer beside him. To me, linebacker is the biggest question mark on the defense.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I wouldn't go quite that far. I just know that on fourth and a foot against AU, if we make it, we're basically in the BCS Championship Game. Forget a bunch of miracle kick returns-wouldn't have mattered.
We ran left, T.J. got stuffed. It wasn't the only time it happened last season.
One foot. If a guard can't clear the way for that small of a gain with the national title three-peat on the line then I wonder about his desire and ability.
That's all I'm saying
I understand that he's a pre-season All-SEC pick. I also understand that he didn't finish last season as
a first or second team All-SEC choice.
So these media people must know something I don't.
sip
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe our fullback on the play fanned on his block.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
1. DB - If we have no injuries, then things will be better at DB for us.

2. QB - Coker must step up and be the man. We need a leader at QB to be successful.

3. K/P - Special teams could make or break us. Without a decent kicking game, we could come up short in several games.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

That false start on the FG was complete garbage. Funny how OL in these HUNH offenses can move around, stand up, and look this way and that and it's ok. I put that on an over zealous ref.

And yeah, if CNS singles out Arie we may want to sit up and take notice. I'm done with the criticism of what he did LAST YEAR.

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
1. Place Kicker
2. Offensive line
3. QB
4. Lane Kiffin
5. Defense's ability to better adjust to HUNH.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I don't know statistically about FGs between 30-40 yards either, but it seems every year auburn has a world class FG kicker who appears to be very consistent at that range and beyond. I just don't understand with the kind of program and coaches we have it is such a major weakness for our team.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
One thing not mentioned is linebacker. C.J. made tackles all over the field, directed the defense and probably saved us 500 yards of explosive plays on instincts alone. Trey is bigger, experienced, but at least a step slower. Whoever plays with him is not only trying to fill enormous shoes but has almost no meaningful game experience. Potential, sure. Important snaps, not yet.

DePriest without Mosely, and a newcomer beside him. To me, linebacker is the biggest question mark on the defense.
I think CJ is the only reason Reggie Ragland hasn't already been a starter. I believe Reggie is going to do fine.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
QB
OL
Kicking game, punter and PK
Level of commitment and buy-in from underclassmen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The underclassmen are going to buy into what they see from the upperclassmen.
Thus the reason that "senior leadership" is so important, and also the reason why A.J.'s comments after last season were totally ridiculous and unfounded.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
While this team may be short on experience at some positions, I believe it is one of the most talented. The coaches are the best in the nation. My biggest concern is that CNS will run out of Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies and that could adversely affect his preparation for the games.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.