Top 5 Concerns for a 2014 Title run

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
One thing I think noone's mentioned here is that this team is hungry, and has a chip on their shoulder. If not for the last 2 games of last year then I bet they have a chip for some of the Head coaches that are running their mouth. Like Spurrier for instance, barking about how much talent we have and Natty's but less SEC championships, and saying we oughta win it every year. Also him spitting out remarks about CNS. Also what about ole' Stoopsie, and his shooting off his mouth about our program and our league. You can't tell me these kids don't hear that crap those Head coaches have spewed outta their piehole sewers. As a player, that would tick me off, and motivate me even more this year. Instead of the hunted this year, we're the hunter! So we have some inexperience at some positions this year, but those positions are LOADED with talent. And I bet by the time the season starts they'll be ready and hungry, wanting to prove themselves! Just wait and see.... Just my optimistic outlook for this season...:biggrin2:
2009 ^^^^. 2014 is deja vu all over again.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
If we have a disciplined OL that can dominate the line of scrimmage:
*we have enough talent at the skill positions to make even an average QB look good.
*we can control TOP, which will help our defense immensely.
*we can convert those 4th and 1s at the end of games that mean the difference between a W and an L.

IMO, OL play will determine how far this team goes. Not to discount the other factors that have been listed; but this will be the straw that stirs the drink.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is way early yet to go out on a limb with predictions, but this year's team somewhat reminds me of 2010's team. Great talent everywhere, new OL and QB. With that said, I see us at 10-2 or no worse than 9-3.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Very good list..don't agree with any of them!

I might put them in a different order is all.

I think the kicking concerns are bigger than we might want to admit. It is probably the reason we didn't 3-peat. If we can make a field goal or two against the Barn....well y'all know what would have happened. :)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
It is way early yet to go out on a limb with predictions, but this year's team somewhat reminds me of 2010's team. Great talent everywhere, new OL and QB. With that said, I see us at 10-2 or no worse than 9-3.
15-0 is going out on a limb. 9-3 is jumping out of the tree and breaking your neck.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While some of you worry about the DL, 247 ranks it the best in the SEC. Link

1. Alabama – A’Shawn Robinson leads the way for this young but talented group. Nick Saban and Kirby Smart have had stellar defenses in Tuscaloosa, and they keep recruiting five-star talent like Da’Shawn Hand to maintain that excellence. D.J. Pettway is back for the Crimson Tide, and he should help the pass rush immediately. Other returners like Jonathan Allen and Brandon Ivory should combine with talented teammates like Darren Lake, Dalvin Tomlinson and JUCO transfer Jarran Reed to give Bama the best line in the league.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I agree! We are at a talent standpoint that we should be able to sleep walk to a 10 win season.
We seemed to do that last year. I hope we are "awake" this year in order to reach our potential. We have the talent to win championships, but just like last year and 2010 proved, the most talented team doesn't always equal the best team. I hope talent, hard work, and determination get us back to where we "make their ... quit."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The double edged sword for Bama is we are either National Champions each year or all else is failure. This is the reality that CNS has created for us.

That's right, 11-1 regular season is a failure if it's not good enough to get you in the playoff.

This is the "new" reality and it explains why we have had letdowns in recent Sugar Bowls when we weren't in the BCS/current playoff.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I think this team is more like 2011. The hunger should be there from a disappointing ending to last year, just like it was in 2011. We are starting a new QB and LT and but should have a nasty defense. We have a very good starting RB with future star (maybe 2 if Drake gets it together) backing him up. I think back to how bad Dee and Dre were in 2010 at times, but how good they were in 2011. I think our young DB's that took their lumps last year will be much better this year. The receiving corps we have this year is over and away better than we had in 2011. If whoever our QB is can come in and play solid and smart like AJ did in 2011, I can see the potential for a similar year. Defense will probably have to carry us at times to make a title run, but I truly believe the pieces are there. If they can do that, I think we can a special year. If not, 10-2 is probably about right.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
When your two biggest question marks are offensive line and Quarterback you can't really predict anything. If those two positions develop and improve as the season progresses we have a chance to be awesome. If not, we have a chance to be average.
I think our defense is going to surprise the heck out of some people.
It all remains to be seen at this point, at least from my point of view. A bunch of mysteries to solve.
sip

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think this team is going to be EXTREMELY GOOD
I think so as well. You never know before the season when the light turns on for certain players. If this team develops the attitude and consistency Coach Saban talks about the sky is the limit.

Every team we play this upcoming season has just as many, if not more, question marks, strengths and weaknesses as we do.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If we have a disciplined OL that can dominate the line of scrimmage:
*we have enough talent at the skill positions to make even an average QB look good.
*we can control TOP, which will help our defense immensely.
*we can convert those 4th and 1s at the end of games that mean the difference between a W and an L.

IMO, OL play will determine how far this team goes. Not to discount the other factors that have been listed; but this will be the straw that stirs the drink.
Agree 100%. Need to find a couple of guys to step up on the left side, enough so that the OL can play even a notch above last year and we`ll be tough to handle as a team. I think the talent`s there on the OL. Experience....not as much.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Agree 100%. Need to find a couple of guys to step up on the left side, enough so that the OL can play even a notch above last year and we`ll be tough to handle as a team. I think the talent`s there on the OL. Experience....not as much.
We have 3 returning starters from 2013 all of whom played some in 2012 so I wouldn't call them inexperienced. We need a RG and LT of which the LT is the most important but we have several good options for that position.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree Sip. My opinion is that by mid season, our three returning starters may not be starters.
I wouldn't go quite that far. I just know that on fourth and a foot against AU, if we make it, we're basically in the BCS Championship Game. Forget a bunch of miracle kick returns-wouldn't have mattered.
We ran left, T.J. got stuffed. It wasn't the only time it happened last season.
One foot. If a guard can't clear the way for that small of a gain with the national title three-peat on the line then I wonder about his desire and ability.
That's all I'm saying
I understand that he's a pre-season All-SEC pick. I also understand that he didn't finish last season as
a first or second team All-SEC choice.
So these media people must know something I don't.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.