Top 5 Concerns for a 2014 Title run

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Each year teams are studied by fans, coaches, media, etc to predict or forecast where they may finish in the upcoming season. There are hundreds of ways to analyze rosters, stats, schedules, matchups and unknown variables that may present themselves such as breakout players, injuries or suspension. Rather than go into the stats, schedules or even matchups I wanted to identify the 5 most important position groupings of concern of weakness or unknowns I had going into this fall. These five IMO are the most impactful to not only a positive season but a championship season for this years team. Depth, talent, productivity are extremely important as well as how impactful a position is to this specific team and our season. I will list my 5 from impactful to critical to a possible title. Please feel free to post your thoughts and top 5.

#5 DB- Sure this is an area that has been on the minds of all of us the last couple of years. We have seen some great effort and play but at the same time seen numerous opportunities slip away with this grouping that could have been game changing. Your secondary is very key to success because they are the last line of defense and are the last opportunity to keep teams out of the endzone. However, we have won and won big with inconsistent DB play at times the last several years. But they have also cost us a couple games along the way that could have gone down as a win. We have tremendous talent at this position and pretty good depth even though a large portion is not game tested and may not be ready for a Saban system. I think we will see some playmakers born this year and our DB by the later part of the year will be stout. We need average but solid production out of our DB to win big.

#4 OL- Most might rank this groups concern higher for 2014. OL is where it all starts on the offensive side of the ball. You can have all world talent at the skill positions but poor OL play can neutralize it in 2 seconds after the snap. We have several returning and proven players with a few new comers who possess all world potential but have to prove it on the field. Our OL needs to be a force, they need to be nasty, they need to prove they can dominate even against top talent. For us to win big in 2014 our OL has to be better than average and create the identity for our offense.

#3 QB- I know there are some of you who just spit your coke out. How is our unknown QB not the most important concern for this years team? From how see it thats an easy answer. With the skill set and overall talent on this Bama team we do not need a Heisman QB, we don't have to have a Elite QB. I cant believe I am about to say this but all we need is a player who can play smart, distribute the ball and make the open plays. Because there will be plenty of open plays to be made throughout the year. Ball control and security will be a focus no matter who is at this position. Honestly, I think we can win Big with Average play at the QB this year and anything above Average from this postion is going to make this team dangerous to scary good. I think we have an Average QB in the line up and one who is potentially well above average as well.

#2 K- Elite success in 2014 is going to be directly tied to our production at the Kicking positions. I think a lot of people took our punting for granted last year. It was extremely important to our defense getting put in favorable field position more times than not. We need someone to step up and make punting not a weakness this year. It does not have to be a weapon but must be adequate. Now the PK position is a whole other story. Most people dont worry so much about the PK in college until its too late and you lose a big game. Just think about every championship season we have had recently. Our PK was above average or came through in some very critical situations. I dont think anyone has to be reminded of last Nov. With a confident PK we win in NOV and things could have been totally different. Sure our offense missed some plays as did our defense. But many of the big games come down to just making average FGs and being consistent. Your offense is going to shoot itself in the foot every now and then and defenses are going to make their share of big plays. So you MUST be able to take three points inside of 40 yards a high percentage of the time. Our PK this year will be the difference in us winning or losing at least 1-2 games.

#1 DL- There can be lots of finger pointing at the reasons we lost 2 games last year. But IMO it all boils down to whether or not our DL controlled the game. Several games they did but in the two loses they came up well short of that responsibility. Can we win it all with an average DL? NO. Can we bring home the trophy with an above average DL? IMO not this year. We need an Elite, top 5 and dominant DL to defeat the various HUNH teams we will face this fall. They will have to rush the passer and cause havoc as well as build a wall against the rush. We have talent coming out our ears on the DL but its not all proven and it still has to produce week in and week out. And there will be two games at least our DL will either step up and win the game or cause us and our playoff goals to evaporate. We have the talent to field an Elite DL for the first time in several years but will they answer the call?

RTR

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
It hit me...we are talking about an NCAA run when we have lost the following starters: Offense -- left tackle, right guard, quarterback -- 3 yr starter and go to wide receiver. On Defense we have lost: 2 DE's who either started or played a lot, 2 lb.'s including an all world middle lb, 2 safeties and 1 starting DB; our punter and place kicker.

We could easily lose 2 games...this will be an interesting and exciting season I believe.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I kinda disagree with this a little. It should be ranked in order: 1. DB 2. QB 3. 0L. 4. K 5. DL

Here's why: DB- Texas A and M, Auburn, and Okl game, our DBs especially Cyrus Jones kept getting burned consistently and he was always confused when it came to coverage. Slyve struggled at times. They need to be consistent on daily basis this year in order to give our Defense a chance, especially the DL and linebacker.

QB- We have unknown QBs and we don't know what they can do. They determine the game by playing well.
OL- I'm not really concerned about it, because it seems to me the issue was leadership and no one played well on OL. This year, it seems to me that has been addressed, but we won't know for sure until the fall camp.
K- Enough said.
DL- Least concern of all, because we have talents, and we have the right pieces this time.

Another concern of mine that may not be on the list is the Running backs and their fumble issues.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
It hit me...we are talking about an NCAA run when we have lost the following starters: Offense -- left tackle, right guard, quarterback -- 3 yr starter and go to wide receiver. On Defense we have lost: 2 DE's who either started or played a lot, 2 lb.'s including an all world middle lb, 2 safeties and 1 starting DB; our punter and place kicker.

We could easily lose 2 games...this will be an interesting and exciting season I believe.

Yet, some odd makers have made Bama co-favorites to win it all with FSU. The talent level is embarrassingly good. The coaching has been upgraded and the motivation should be high tide. Did I mention how embarrassingly rich we are at every single position, including QB?

Best of all, If we don't win it all with this year's edition, we all get to keep our day job.

Roll Tide!!!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I realize I may be swinging a low stick here but I'm not expecting 15-0. I'm thinking somewhere around 9-3 is where my expectations lie. We simply don't know how our QB and OL play will come out. We also don't know if the ball control from our running backs will improve. Our receivers are supposed to be good but we saw most of them drop easy passes in '13 they would not have dropped in '12. Is that going to be fixed, I wonder?

The defense I'm not as worried about but there are concerns:

• I'm ok with defensive line playing contain when needed (esp. against mobile QB's and the like) but I'd like us to get more sacks and tackles for negative yards by the DL.
  • The LB's *should* be good as they seem to have a little bit of experience (though somewhat limited) -- they simply aren't Courtney Upshaw or C.J. Mosley at least not yet.
  • I feel the same for the CB's as well because they have a bit less experience and even more to improve on.

Special Team concerns as well:

• The kicking has been bad (compared to Bama's standards from the past -- FG's inside 45 yards were usually a given but not the last few years). It is what it is but it must get better.
  • Kickoff recovery has occasionally been a sore spot -- I think we saw a mixed bag last season. I sure hope that gets fixed. You can NEVER afford to give up a kickoff return -- that has to be the Special Team's mentality.

So, if we lose 4 games, to me that will be disappointing but anything better than that will be good. Making it to the SEC CG would be gravy -- winning it even better :) Yes, looking at the schedule, in theory based on what we've seen from last year and heard about in Spring/Summer, we should be able to handle the schedule but at this point (Jul 24), I'm not confident enough to say we win it all or even make the SEC Championship game just yet. If we make the playoffs, I'll be ecstatic, of course! So far everything coming out of Tuscaloosa sounds great but remember it's talk mostly. We won't know what we have until the season starts. And even then we may not truly know until the Iron Bowl. Whoever said this season will be exciting, I have to second that. My 2 cents.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i feel like we can work around our weaknesses if we could get strong offensive line performance. Which means we can control games running the ball and hit the occasional play action pass. As far as the secondary goes. Nowhere to go but up. I just cant imagine being as bad as last year for a Saban coached secondary.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I thought we did well against kickoff returns last year.. I think we allowed none ... that was it?
I realize I may be swinging a low stick here but I'm not expecting 15-0. I'm thinking somewhere around 9-3 is where my expectations lie. We simply don't know how our QB and OL play will come out. We also don't know if the ball control from our running backs will improve. Our receivers are supposed to be good but we saw most of them drop easy passes in '13 they would not have dropped in '12. Is that going to be fixed, I wonder?

The defense I'm not as worried about but there are concerns:

• I'm ok with defensive line playing contain when needed (esp. against mobile QB's and the like) but I'd like us to get more sacks and tackles for negative yards by the DL.
  • The LB's *should* be good as they seem to have a little bit of experience (though somewhat limited) -- they simply aren't Courtney Upshaw or C.J. Mosley at least not yet.
  • I feel the same for the CB's as well because they have a bit less experience and even more to improve on.

Special Team concerns as well:

• The kicking has been bad (compared to Bama's standards from the past -- FG's inside 45 yards were usually a given but not the last few years). It is what it is but it must get better.
  • Kickoff recovery has occasionally been a sore spot -- I think we saw a mixed bag last season. I sure hope that gets fixed. You can NEVER afford to give up a kickoff return -- that has to be the Special Team's mentality.

So, if we lose 4 games, to me that will be disappointing but anything better than that will be good. Making it to the SEC CG would be gravy -- winning it even better :) Yes, looking at the schedule, in theory based on what we've seen from last year and heard about in Spring/Summer, we should be able to handle the schedule but at this point (Jul 24), I'm not confident enough to say we win it all or even make the SEC Championship game just yet. If we make the playoffs, I'll be ecstatic, of course! So far everything coming out of Tuscaloosa sounds great but remember it's talk mostly. We won't know what we have until the season starts. And even then we may not truly know until the Iron Bowl. Whoever said this season will be exciting, I have to second that. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The players we had in the past, we shouldn't try and be them... we need to let our players to develop in a player that they know they can be and get the job done. comparing them to Mosley and others isn't fair at all because they all were on their own level.. and if Reggie and Trey do what they're supposed to do, then they will achieve the level they want to be on. Also, I don't think this team will lose 3 or 4 games... There are three situation where I can see this team being undefeated, 11-1, or 10-2... but I highly doubt it will be 3 loss games.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The players we had in the past, we shouldn't try and be them... we need to let our players to develop in a player that they know they can be and get the job done. comparing them to Mosley and others isn't fair at all because they all were on their own level.. and if Reggie and Trey do what they're supposed to do, then they will achieve the level they want to be on. Also, I don't think this team will lose 3 or 4 games... There are three situation where I can see this team being undefeated, 11-1, or 10-2... but I highly doubt it will be 3 loss games.
I kind of doubt it but I am thinking worst case I suppose. We are playing in Death Valley - we did ok and won by the seat of our pants in '11 but recently we haven't exactly dominated there. To me, the LSU game is always 50/50 no matter where it is.

The Iron Bowl is kind of like that in a way but I give us the nod slightly because (1) we're playing in BDS and (2) I know we'll be out for blood (I'm hoping).

I expect Florida to be surprisingly good (as in 9-3/8-4) for them. Usually a coach flailing for his life like Muschamp will pull something out of his behind. Richt managed to do it a few years ago and kept his job. We should beat them by a couple of scores at least but I expect them to be more competitive than last year. If losing to Ga. Southern doesn't motivate you the next season, I don't know what will.

I tend to think either Ole Miss or Mittittippi Tate will give us a game this season. They (and we) are due. At least for 2-3 quarters. If not for an absolutely horrible MSU offense, they would have beaten us last season hands down.

So, we probably shouldn't lose more than 2 but if things don't go as we're hoping, I do see 3 losses as remotely possible.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Florida will be real good, but since they had so much injuries, it'll take them a while to " click" so I don't think They will beat us just yet.... not with Driskel... Ole Miss and Miss State.. not concerned about them... they play us real good, but we still prevail. LSU... is always 50/50 but remember they have a young QB/RB... they don't know what it's like to play in SEC the first year, and it's going to hurt them. Auburn.. they got lucky...... I think if anyone who will have three losses, that would be Auburn. Have faith in our team.. We are what we expect... If you claim the team to have 9-3.. you're calling that to happen.. Think positive.
I kind of doubt it but I am thinking worst case I suppose. We are playing in Death Valley - we did ok and won by the seat of our pants in '11 but recently we haven't exactly dominated there. To me, the LSU game is always 50/50 no matter where it is.

The Iron Bowl is kind of like that in a way but I give us the nod slightly because (1) we're playing in BDS and (2) I know we'll be out for blood (I'm hoping).

I expect Florida to be surprisingly good (as in 9-3/8-4) for them. Usually a coach flailing for his life like Muschamp will be will something out of his behind. Richt managed to do it a few years ago and kept his job. We should beat them by a couple of scores at least but I expect them to be more competitive than last year. If losing to Ga. Southern doesn't motivate you the next season, I don't know what will.

I tend to think either Ole Miss or Mittittippi Tate will give us a game this season. They (and we) are due. At least for 2-3 quarters. So, we probably shouldn't lose more than 2 but if things don't go as we're hoping, I do see 3 losses as remotely possible.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
One thing I think noone's mentioned here is that this team is hungry, and has a chip on their shoulder. If not for the last 2 games of last year then I bet they have a chip for some of the Head coaches that are running their mouth. Like Spurrier for instance, barking about how much talent we have and Natty's but less SEC championships, and saying we oughta win it every year. Also him spitting out remarks about CNS. Also what about ole' Stoopsie, and his shooting off his mouth about our program and our league. You can't tell me these kids don't hear that crap those Head coaches have spewed outta their piehole sewers. As a player, that would tick me off, and motivate me even more this year. Instead of the hunted this year, we're the hunter! So we have some inexperience at some positions this year, but those positions are LOADED with talent. And I bet by the time the season starts they'll be ready and hungry, wanting to prove themselves! Just wait and see.... Just my optimistic outlook for this season...:biggrin2:

Last edited:

drsmithofga

1st Team
Dec 7, 2004
My take:

1)The offensive line, while maybe not 2012 quality with the starters, have 11 players in the two deep that are above average, not even going to consider the incoming with the exception of Cam. Will end up being a non issue.
2) WRs/RBs, well above average.
3) TE--Solid
4)QB--These aren't the days of sanctions and probation, you could throw a rock and hit a good QB with this bunch. Experience-short, talent-long.
5) Punter-We have one that can average 40, and the incoming kid is possibly better
6)Place kicker--at a minimum, we can kick extra points and short field goals.
7) DL/LBs--I wouldn't trade 'em. Do hope Ivory goes out with a bang.
8)Safteties--no fall off here for starters, solid experienced backups
9) CBs-We have four with game experience, plus Jackson who will come on soon, plus Brown and Humphrey, and we don't know where Geno Smith will end up. That's 8 that are not a bad group to do battle with.

I'm not a koolaid drinker, but from the week we play Florida (with the gained experience) with a 3-0 record and beyond, I'll bet a dollar we'll be favored in every single regular season game.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I'm concerned about:

1. QB/turnovers, poor game management, 3 and outs, please God no.
2. OL/consistent push in the run game...we have the backs we need the holes.
3. ST/can we make FGs from 25+ yds? A game or two is liable to hinge on it
4. CB/we really got burned a lot last year and are so young this year...potentially bad mix
5. Injuries/can't control this but a few in key spots could really hurt (QB, WR, OL, DB)

BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG - I think we'll have a great team, always do. RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.