News Article: Cecil Gives His Opinion for All the SEC Bashing by Other Conferences

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Not all wishes come true. Sometimes, a starry-eyed child rushes down the steps on Christmas and finds the vintage Alabama football jersey he asked Santa Claus for has become a Bill Curry-era Cliff Engle sweater made of a particular itchy wool. Disappointments are part of life.

So when I wished, a couple of days ago, the dialogue in the college football world could turn to the actual season that starts in just over a month, I knew the odds of that happening weren't great. But the extent to which that hasn't happened over the course of the week has been remarkable even for a cynic. In every league that has followed the SEC in holding its media days, and in trekking up to Bristol to appear on various ESPN platforms, there has been little talk of what is ahead and a constant barrage of swipes at the SEC. Even a hardened cynic couldn't help notice it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not as worried about the playoff as some seem to be.

We've been pretty consistent in getting into the top 2 spots since CNS's arrival.

I think we should have just a tiny bit more wiggle room when it comes to making the top 4.

Of course, this assumes a relative amount of "fairness" coming from the 13 person committee. And that is where the water gets muddy.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I could read Cecil Hurt all day long. Can there really be any doubt as to his being the best sportswriter in the South? I`ve always been real surprised that he`s still in Tuscaloosa. Can`t believe he hasn`t had opportunities to go bigger.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Who would have thought something like lobbying, which is as American as the flag and apple pie, would be used to influence the "blue ribbon panel. Is this a great country or what? :rolleye2:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I could read Cecil Hurt all day long. Can there really be any doubt as to his being the best sportswriter in the South? I`ve always been real surprised that he`s still in Tuscaloosa. Can`t believe he hasn`t had opportunities to go bigger.
Cecil grew up in Tuscaloosa. It literally is home to him.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Cecil is my favorite reporter that covers Bama. that's a pretty common opinion. Off hand, I can't remember him writing about other stuff, but I stopped seeing his columns when they put up that pay firewall at the Tuscaloosa newspaper. Now, I see one every once in a while by chance.

My point is he's real good at covering Bama, but I'm not sure how well he would make the jump to a bigger format where he covers more than just Bama. For example, if he replaced Barnhart at the Atlanta paper, and was expected to write about the SEC and not just Bama, I'm sure he could do it, maybe just not as well as he does covering everything about Alabama.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
All this bashing of the SEC is just like election year politics. Everybody else is the best candidate for the job, just like every other conference should be ranked ahead of the SEC. One day maybe the conferences can play it out kind of like the NFL. I don't know how, but it could take the human element out of the system.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Well we didn't win the BCS last year so obviously we are on the way down thus ripe for such talk. Let's see how this year shapes up.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
When a conference wins 7 or 8 straight National Championships other conferences are going to take every shot at you they can, good or bad.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Cecil is my favorite reporter that covers Bama. that's a pretty common opinion. Off hand, I can't remember him writing about other stuff, but I stopped seeing his columns when they put up that pay firewall at the Tuscaloosa newspaper. Now, I see one every once in a while by chance.

My point is he's real good at covering Bama, but I'm not sure how well he would make the jump to a bigger format where he covers more than just Bama. For example, if he replaced Barnhart at the Atlanta paper, and was expected to write about the SEC and not just Bama, I'm sure he could do it, maybe just not as well as he does covering everything about Alabama.
You could well be right Chukker. but a part of me would really like to see if he could. No reason not to put my money on Cecil!

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

We've been pretty consistent in getting into the top 2 spots since CNS's arrival.

I think we should have just a tiny bit more wiggle room when it comes to making the top 4.

Of course, this assumes a relative amount of "fairness" coming from the 13 person committee. And that is where the water gets muddy.
Except now the conference champ carries more weight.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN

This is my concern as well. I feel like SEC fatigue is not going to do us any favors.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.