80 yr old man shoots fleeing, unarmed pregnant burglar

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Had a cop done this, people would be raising heck on here. The guy selling cigarettes illegally had been arrested 31 times. Had he found an honest line of work, he'd be alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Had a cop done this, people would be raising heck on here. The guy selling cigarettes illegally had been arrested 31 times. Had he found an honest line of work, he'd be alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Extensive training v. victim who reacted to a situation. Hmmm.

As for the guy selling cigarettes illegally, is that a violent crime or even a crime against property for that matter?

Last edited:

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
This really doesn't make a lot of sense. Are you saying that, if someone isn't a danger to society, they didn't really commit a crime?
As a hypothetical juror, I'd be more likely to acquit someone if I think they are not a danger to society, especially if they prevented home invaders from possibly picking my home as their next target.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Bill Shakespeare said:
ROSS: Your son, my lord, has paid a soldier's debt:
He only lived but till he was a man;
The which no sooner had his prowess confirm'd
In the unshrinking station where he fought,
But like a man he died.

SIWARD: Then he is dead?

ROSS:Ay, and brought off the field: your cause of sorrow
Must not be measured by his worth, for then
It hath no end.

SIWARD: Had he his hurts before?

ROSS: Ay, on the front.
If the woman's wounds are on her back, the guy may be in trouble. Depends on the jury, I guess.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If the woman's wounds are on her back, the guy may be in trouble. Depends on the jury, I guess.
It is California so you have to assume he's probably going to the slammer and her family will sue his estate and win his house and car and whatever savings he might have. After all, it wasn't their daughter's fault she broke into the man's house.

Her accomplice will probably sue for mental anguish and win as well.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Assault, burglary and breaking and entering? The man did what most of us would do, he shot at the person. I really hope he is not charged with murder.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It is California so you have to assume he's probably going to the slammer and her family will sue his estate and win his house and car and whatever savings he might have. After all, it wasn't their daughter's fault she broke into the man's house.

Her accomplice will probably sue for mental anguish and win as well.
I can tell you by personal experience that merely being charged with a crime is a very, very expensive proposition. That is why a Grand Jury is so important. If the charges are frivolous or the case is shaky, then the Grand Jury should probably err of the side of the accused and not return a true bill. When I was a Grand Juror, that was my standard. In this case, from what I know at this point, I might not return a true bill.
Don't want to get shot? Don't break into a house belonging to someone else, and if you do, don't physically attack the owner. The fact that she was apparently headed away from the owner is troubling, but as far as I know, she was moving to secure a weapon to continue the attack on an 80 year old.
If I was a juror on a civil case, I would have limited sympathy with the woman's family. Raise your daughter not to break into people's houses. I'd probably deny their complaint and vote to hit the family up for the court costs. There may be facts I am unaware of at this point that would change my mind, but as of now, that is how I see it.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Assault, burglary and breaking and entering? The man did what most of us would do, he shot at the person. I really hope he is not charged with murder.
BamainBoston said:
I dont think I'd charge this guy. Sounds like it all happened really fast. This is not like the one where the guy killed the kids in his basement.
I'll comment on both of these at once. When confronted with a burglar in your home, and IF you have a weapon handy, there is rarely time enough to do anything except shoot to kill. You either shoot them, or you don't. I never shoot "at" anyone with intentions of just scaring or wounding them. There's just not that much time. Either they're dead, or I am, and I'm not ready to die just yet.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
And according to the shooter, she was running away. There was no imminent threat, so this is simply revenge, like it or not.

Do I think the law should be different? Perhaps, but it isn't. He committed murder under the law.

Yup.
agreed. however if im on the jury. not guilty. i have an absolute disgust for home burglars. he committed murder, but the world is better off with one less piece of crap. the only shame is he didnt kill both burglars.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
If this happened in Texas, the man would not be charged , but in Kalifornia he probably will. My feelings are mixed on this, probably leaning more toward he should be prosecuted. If they do not prosecute he victim shooter for murder, how can they charge the perpetrator accomplice?

Wow, why a the bottom of the article in 'around the web' , does a headline read 'Cowboys Rolando McClain arrested again'. ?

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
"In his taped interview with the station, he said the woman shouted, "Don't shoot me! I'm pregnant -- I'm going to have a baby."

“I shot her anyway,” Greer said. “The lady didn’t run as fast as the man so I shot her in the back twice --she’s dead … but he got away.”

He says they burglarized his house twice before (not sure how he knows that), but the quote doesn't sound good for his case.

The coroner' office says the woman was not pregnant.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fatally-shot-woman-pregnant-20140725-story.html

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
"In his taped interview with the station, he said the woman shouted, "Don't shoot me! I'm pregnant -- I'm going to have a baby."

“I shot her anyway,” Greer said. “The lady didn’t run as fast as the man so I shot her in the back twice --she’s dead … but he got away.”

He says they burglarized his house twice before (not sure how he knows that), but the quote doesn't sound good for his case.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fatally-shot-woman-pregnant-20140725-story.html
Glad to hear she wasn't pregnant.

If I was on a jury there's zero chance I'd convict him of murder. Zero.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Maybe right there is his alibi. He may have been hearing things when he fired the shots as a result of being slammed to the ground and wasn't in his right mind at the time of the shooting. It's going to be interesting to see what happens regardless.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
If this happened in Texas, the man would not be charged , but in Kalifornia he probably will. My feelings are mixed on this, probably leaning more toward he should be prosecuted. If they do not prosecute he victim shooter for murder, how can they charge the perpetrator accomplice?

Wow, why a the bottom of the article in 'around the web' , does a headline read 'Cowboys Rolando McClain arrested again'. ?
If this happened in Texas it would be a local news article. If you come on somebody's property at night and commit merely criminal mischief (for example, tagging) you are in trouble. If you're fleeing with property, you're fair game. And none of this dragging across the threshold business.

So the thieves tend to work in daylight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.