80 yr old man shoots fleeing, unarmed pregnant burglar

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And I think, BB, this is why they are still contemplating whether or not to press charges against Greer.

Even if he is charged - I don't see it going anywhere. A plea agreement with probation - that's if he is charged.

Couple things mentioned in the story that I keep thinking may factor into how it plays out is the part where she claims to be pregnant and he said he shot her anyway - and something about dragging her body back onto his property. Those may work against him if indeed it gets that far.

Your comment about his mental state at the time - that's huge in working in his favor.
I'm not sure how many people in this thread have ever been "jumped", had someone physically attack them or simply been in a fist fight. But normally it is a very high, high intense situation that renders you to nothing more than instinct and knee jerk reactions and it takes more than just a few minutes for your thoughts and emotions to come back down to normal. I haven't been in many fights. But unfortunately I've been in some and I was still "jacked up" a few hours after it was over and could easily say wasn't completely in my right mind. Getting physically assaulted is an extremely traumatic experience.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
This case is no different than the cop that shot Brown running away in Ferguson. Both are bad shoots, regardless of the supposed 'benefit to society'...
Eh, still hard to say with Greer after getting slammed to the ground. Who knows what mental state he was in at that moment. I'll go out on a limb and say he gets no-billed.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's weird that some think that shooting retreating (not surrendering) soldiers is somehow 'wrong'. As someone who studies WWII, this was commonplace then - you either walk towards the victor unarmed with your arms raised (a universal sign of 'I surrender') or you take your chances running.

Were I a warrior, I'd not think twice about shooting at someone retreating for the opportunity to kill me again. Surrender is different.

That said, none of this is relevant to the subject at hand, imo. Professional solders ≠ average civilians.
It was worse than that. Anyone trying to "surrender," after an active exchange of gunfire, who had no ammo on him was shot. The unwritten rule was that you could only surrender when you still had the wherewithal to kill someone. This is not widely known, but it was the rule. You didn't surrender unless you had a full clip, especially right after trying to kill someone. Harsh, but understandable under the circumstances. That said, the rules of war have no application here at all. Brad is correct. The shooter's remarks are very damning. It was basically an execution. However, given the totality of the situation - his being body-slammed with broken bones, plus his assertion, if true, that they'd targeted him twice before, I'd be surprised if he's true-billed...

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I understand the actions of the victim here, but based on what little we know IMO he went beyond what he should have. At best this was a shooting to keep them from doing it again much later. He seems to admit he did not fear an immediate return attack.

As others have said, in most places I would be surprised if it got past the grand jury. There, you never know.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.