80 yr old man shoots fleeing, unarmed pregnant burglar

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He'll spend the last of his time on this earth in jail, as he should.

ETA: also, the caliber of the firearm - two shots from a .22lr revolver and she's dead (read this in another article)...

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The only person who deserves jail time is the surviving burglar.

Greer returned home shortly after 9 p.m. Tuesday to find the pair in his home. Both suspects attacked him, hitting him with their fists and ultimately "body slamming" him to the floor, breaking his collar bone, McDonnell said.
Pregnant or not, fleeing or not, she deserved to be shot IMO.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
She may have been pregnant, but would you really trust anything coming out of the mouth of someone who had just finished robbing and beating you? I guess the autopsy will tell.

Normally you don't have the right to shoot someone who is fleeing. But I have heard of people doing just that and not being convicted.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
He'll spend the last of his time on this earth in jail, as he should.

ETA: also, the caliber of the firearm - two shots from a .22lr revolver and she's dead (read this in another article)...
We'll disagree on this one. He was assaulted, body-slammed to the floor, had a broken collar bone, so who knows what state of mind he was in. He may have been concussed for all we know. As you like to say and Buzzard quoted it above....

She took a risk to pursue illegal activity and it cost her life.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We'll disagree on this one. He was assaulted, body-slammed to the floor, had a broken collar bone, so who knows what state of mind he was in. He may have been concussed for all we know. As you like to say and Buzzard quoted it above....
And according to the shooter, she was running away. There was no imminent threat, so this is simply revenge, like it or not.

Do I think the law should be different? Perhaps, but it isn't. He committed murder under the law.

She took a risk to pursue illegal activity and it cost her life.
Yup.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
She may have been pregnant, but would you really trust anything coming out of the mouth of someone who had just finished robbing and beating you? I guess the autopsy will tell.

Normally you don't have the right to shoot someone who is fleeing. But I have heard of people doing just that and not being convicted.
If more of them were shot, the crime rate would definitely drop.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
And according to the shooter, she was running away. There was no imminent threat, so this is simply revenge, like it or not.

Do I think the law should be different? Perhaps, but it isn't. He committed murder under the law.

Yup.
How do we know what state of mind an 80 year old man was in after he got body slammed to the ground and had his collar bone broken?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How do we know what state of mind an 80 year old man was in after he got body slammed to the ground and had his collar bone broken?
The jury will decide that, but he seemed pretty clear-headed and non-remorseful in the followup interviews.

You can disagree with the law (I don't in this case), but you the reality is you can only shoot someone if you are in imminent fear of grave bodily harm or death in most every state. Like it or not, he had zero right to shoot her.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The jury will decide that, but he seemed pretty clear-headed and non-remorseful in the followup interviews.

You can disagree with the law (I don't in this case), but you the reality is you can only shoot someone if you are in imminent fear of grave bodily harm or death in most every state. Like it or not, he had zero right to shoot her.
PTSD

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

I disagree sir, I think he absolutely had a right to shoot her. Now, legally, I don't know; you are probably correct there, but if I was on the jury, I would be the not guilty hold out.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I disagree sir, I think he absolutely had a right to shoot her. Now, legally, I don't know; you are probably correct there, but if I was on the jury, I would be the not guilty hold out.
OK, so where is the line between self defense and a revenge killing? If someone walks up and punches you in the jaw then runs away, do you think you should be able to shoot them?

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
OK, so where is the line between self defense and a revenge killing? If someone walks up and punches you in the jaw then runs away, do you think you should be able to shoot them?
I think it's different by the nature of the home break-in. Even if the person is fleeing, I'm willing to afford a person a lot of leniency in defending their home.

The guy did us a favor. Who is more dangerous to society? The one who broke into someone's house and assaulted the elderly man living there, or the man who shot fleeing intruders?

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I guess if it happens during or immediately following a violent act, I will always give the benefit of the doubt to the person who was attacked. If it is a good while later, ok, you're correct; that is revenge. Which I am also ok with in some situations such as violence toward children. etc.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
The guy did us a favor. Who is more dangerous to society? The one who broke into someone's house and assaulted the elderly man living there, or the man who shot fleeing intruders?
This really doesn't make a lot of sense. Are you saying that, if someone isn't a danger to society, they didn't really commit a crime?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.