SEC Pre(diction) Season : Florida

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Why they’ll be good

Several returning starters to a defense that was dominant at times last season despite a lot of injuries

Strong running game with Kelvin Taylor

Somewhat favorable schedule

Why they’ll be bad

They won't be, BUT

Will we finally see the Driskell that was promised to us under new OC Kurt Roper?

Will the injury bug bite them again?

Can they match up with Georgia & Carolina?

Schedule prediction:

vs. Idaho - W
vs. Eastern Michigan - W
vs. Kentucky - W
@ Alabama - L
@ Tennessee - W
vs. Louisiana State - W
vs. Missouri - W
vs. Georgia - L
@ Vanderbilt - W
vs. South Carolina - L
vs. Eastern Kentucky - W
@ Florida State – L

Summary
The Gators have no lack of talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Despite not having the most successful season on the field last year, Will Muschamp has had great success on the recruiting trail during his time at Gainseville. His most crucial recruit, however, will be new OC Kurt Roper. Muschamp says that with his current personnel, they’re more comfortable in the shotgun, and thus the reasoning behind bringing in Roper. While their defense is a known commodity, it’s their offense that leaves several questions. They have a favorable opening 3 games, which may do to them this season what it did to them in 2010. They started against 3 inferior opponents and still won big despite several flaws in execution, simply because they had a huge talent advantage. And then they came into Tuscaloosa and got exposed, which led to a downhill spiral. I don’t think it quite happens that way this season.
In a nutshell, Florida has 6 games that could decide Will Muschamp’s fate (Bama, UT, LSU, UGA, USCe, and FSU), and I think he goes 2-4 in them at best. An 8-4 season at most places is respectable, but this is Florida. Muschamp is gone after this season.

Your thoughts?

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
They lose to Bama, FSU, and Georgia and go 1-1 against South Carolina and LSU.If they can beat TN and Vandy both on the road I see 8-4, if they split those two which is highly possible 7-5.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
The defense will be very good again, and I imagine they are the best unit in the SEC again this season if Fowler has the breakout year that most expect.

Real question, of course, is the offense. Driskel has to stay healthy and play reasonably well for them to have a shot, but obviously he's going to be held back regardless by a very weak wide receiver corps. The offensive line, however, is better than it has been, and so with Taylor, Jones, Brown and company, the run game might be able to carry a larger portion of the load. That doesn't get them to the Final Four, or even near it, but could a strong defense and a decent running game get them to 8 or 9 wins, do enough to keep Muschamp in Gainesville, and maybe have an outside chance at the East if a couple of things fall their way? I think so. FWIW, that was the basic strategy that Florida employed in 2012 to finish up 11-1, and while it's probably not realistic to expect them to do that again this year, there is a reasonable chance they can have a strong season with that basic formula.

Real problem here is the schedule, which is just brutal. Road games against arguably the two best teams in the country in 'Bama and FSU, and then three games against teams that will probably finish up somewhere in the top 15 nationally (LSU, Georgia, and South Carolina). Florida could be a really good football team this season and still end up no better than 9-3.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think this is a turnaround year for Florida and I'm picking them to win the East. @Alabama is going to be huge and their weak early schedule gives them a lot of time to invest in that gameplan. I think they're a 2-loss team (@Bama,@FSU).

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I think the Gators will be better this year simply bc of the injury situation a year ago. Muschamp begins his 3rd season I believe and should have have a better feel for the program. If not, the natives will be calling for his head soon. I can see 3-4 losses.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I don't think he loses to both UGA and USCe. He's gotta beat at least one of those teams. Beating UT really shouldn't mean anything. I think he loses to Bama and FSU. LSU is a toss-up. It will probably be an extremely boring game, shades of their 2012 matchup. I like UF cause they have less question marks and turnover. For me, CWM's season hinges on UGA and USCe. Can't lose to your two chief East rivals, especially when they both have question marks.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Schedule prediction:

vs. Idaho - W
vs. Eastern Michigan - W
vs. Kentucky - W
@ Alabama - L
@ Tennessee - W
vs. Louisiana State - W
vs. Missouri - W
vs. Georgia - L
@ Vanderbilt - W
vs. South Carolina - W
vs. Eastern Kentucky - W
@ Florida State – L

9-3 (6-2)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
It doesn't. Florida hasn't lost to Tennessee in 10 years -- and won't this year, either -- but that's not going to be enough to save Muschamp.
Thing is...if they DO lose to UT, it says that while UF is sliding, UT is trending upward. I doubt seriously if Boom survives a loss to Tennessee

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thank you for an excellent analysis Mack - and all other posts looking good as well.

My 2 cents.....Florida looks very good on paper but they will be using a new system with new coaches with a fairly tough schedule so they will have their work cut out for them to succeed - no doubt.

New coaches in crucial segments.....OC, OL, plus Chris Leak taking over WR coaching duties.

Couple other things...last season the OC and OL coach DISLIKED each other - all season long. You can only imagine how disruptive that was. Now we have replaced both positions and these 2 new guys actually LIKE each other and are working in unison, thank goodness.

Also - Florida is going up tempo this year - a style more suitable to Jeff Driskel's natural ability.

Also remember Andre Debose? Injured before the season started last year - well he's back and he's healthy. Could be a huge factor in kickoff returns and receiving.

Also nice transfer back in May from Virginia...TE Jake McGee at 6'6" 250 lbs. leading receiver at UVA in 2013....could be the leading receiver at Florida this season...

I think Florida could do very well this year barring injuries but will 'wait and see' before making any predictions myself. Like you guys said - first 3 games of the season will be very important and also very telling.

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
Unless Driskell shows MAJOR improvement (& I'm not convinced that he will) we may actually get to see Muschamp's head explode.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
They could be vastly improved and still go 7-5 or 8-4. I don't know what happened down there but the Gator program went south in a hurry. They've got quite a mountain to climb to get it back.

hokiefan10

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 17, 2013
vs. Idaho - W
vs. Eastern Michigan - W
vs. Kentucky - W
@ Alabama - L
@ Tennessee - W
vs. Louisiana State - W
vs. Missouri - W
vs. Georgia - L
@ Vanderbilt - W
vs. South Carolina - W
vs. Eastern Kentucky - W
@ Florida State – L

^Yes

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
vs. Idaho - W
vs. Eastern Michigan - W
vs. Kentucky - W
@ Alabama - L
@ Tennessee - W
vs. Louisiana State - W
vs. Missouri - W
vs. Georgia - L
@ Vanderbilt - W
vs. South Carolina - W
vs. Eastern Kentucky - W
@ Florida State – L

^Yes
You may quote me. :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.