Strong kicks ANOTHER player from the Longhorns

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
clicky

Texas dismissed running back Joe Bergeron, the fifth player disciplined in the football program this week by first year head coach Charlie Strong, reports Anwar Richardson of Orangebloods.com.

Just this week during Big 12 media days, Strong said that Bergeron was "back in the mix" after reportedly having academic problems.

Bergeron, a former five-star recruit, rushed for 1,392 yards and 25 touchdowns during his college career.
Strong, who was hired by Texas in January, dismissed two players Thursday and indefinitely suspended two others.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Re: Strong kicks ANOTHER player from the Whorns

Sounds like he needs to take them down to Junction.
Hahaha, I would like to see how that would go over in today's society. I doubt many players would even attempt anything they were told in those tough conditions. There would be public outrage on social networks and no telling how many lawsuits. We may be considered more "civilized," but many immoral acts are now considered normal and forced down our throats, while many good actions are deemed unacceptable. It's a crazy world we now live in.

First Sergeant

Suspended
Jan 17, 2009

Wow! He's not gonna be able to field a team if this keeps up.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

Strong is doing exactly what he needs to. He is instilling discipline into his team. I applaud him for taking the steps needed to become a better team. I truly believe he is a good coach. He can be dangerous at a school like texas.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Strong is having to clean up CMB's mess and getting rid of the bad apples is part of the process.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

I have no problem with a coach coming in and getting rid of players who do not work, attend class and cannot follow the rules. Good for Strong! He may lose some games this year but he is going to have players that want to be a part of his program.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Have friends spending the weekend with us from St Louis - they are originally from Texas and huge Horns fans. They are happy to have a head coach who is a disciplinarian. They liked Mack but appreciate that he was a player's coach and the team totally lacked discipline.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

Strong is doing exactly what he needs to. He is instilling discipline into his team. I applaud him for taking the steps needed to become a better team. I truly believe he is a good coach. He can be dangerous at a school like texas.

The problem is that it may take a couple of losing or at least mediocre seasons before he can truly get the culture of the program turned around to where he can begin to really build a quality, disciplined team. The question is, will the big-wigs in Tejas have the patience to let him do what needs to be done without interfering?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Too bad he can't show some of those obnoxious Texas boosters the door.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Hahaha, I would like to see how that would go over in today's society. I doubt many players would even attempt anything they were told in those tough conditions. There would be public outrage on social networks and no telling how many lawsuits. We may be considered more "civilized," but many immoral acts are now considered normal and forced down our throats, while many good actions are deemed unacceptable. It's a crazy world we now live in.
Even Coach Bryant had doubts about his actions regarding the junction and whether it was a good thing to do. I think if he'd thought it was the right way to do things he'd have done it everywhere he went but he didn't. His practices could be brutal if he thought the team was too soft but he often vacillated between working his teams too hard or not hard enough and spoke about it often.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Kudos to Charlie for trying to clean up the mess that Mack made. Some interesting things I've found surfing the internets:

Charlie Strong, UT Athletic Department have been administering random drug tests, dismissed players may have been due to positive tests.
Senior CB Quandre Diggs: Some Texas players "didn't love football": "'Strong's actions...have served notice that he's serious about his core values and will not compromise them regardless of the situation"

Though the mainstream media hasn't played up Diggs' comments as an indictment of the previous coaching staff, his comments are an absolute indictment of the previous coaching staff, which recruited those players and, in all likelihood, let many of them stick around the program for too long.

It's not hard to imagine how former head coach Mack Brown's complacency in many regards contributed to both of those factors.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Glad to see any coach lay down the law. A renegade program makes the sport as a whole look bad.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

ESPN headlines (and also this board's) look like a police blotter lately. Can only mean one thing: fall camp is about to launch, where hope springs eternal. RTR

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

ESPN headlines (and also this board's) look like a police blotter lately. Can only mean one thing: fall camp is about to launch, where hope springs eternal. RTR
And it only continues. A Southern Miss player is one person named in an armed robbery. That story broke just minutes ago. And as you alluded to, there's a laundry list of these stories over the past 3 weeks or so.

Speaks to the point I made the other day that these guys need structure and a routine. The season can't get here fast enough for them

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

Auburn is going to have a field day with all these players to choose from.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I actually have nothing but respect for Coach Strong & the fact he's weeding out the players that doesn't need to be there..Mack seemed to allow the players to get away with too much nonsense the last few year he was their HC & it will take Coach Strong a couple years to right the situation..He's not cutting the players any slack & I can respect that, it will cause a couple years of poor football, the more talent he kicks off the team, but, if the ShortHorn Fans are smart, they will understand this if the losses starts to pile up..Coach Strong is giving the ShortHorn Football Program a much needed enema that will eventually produce a solid football program & the wins will come..If they allow Coach Strong to do what he needs to do & recruit his players into the football his system..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.