Rich Rod comments on Nick Saban's opinion of HUNH offenses

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It was on twitter earlier, I guess the PAC 12 is having its media days this week, and Rich Rod was asked about Coach Saban's comments that HUNH offenses take the defensive coaches out of the game. Rodriguez said "Cry me a river. No one comes to games to watch the defensive coaches."
So my response to him (and all the fans and coaches with the same opinion) is, why even have the defense on the field? Why not run plays against air if we're not interested in defense and defensive strategy? That way, the offense could score on every play.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
I heard the real reason Richard took the Arizona job was because Rita's hair is much more manageable in the low humidity.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It was on twitter earlier, I guess the PAC 12 is having its media days this week, and Rich Rod was asked about Coach Saban's comments that HUNH offenses take the defensive coaches out of the game. Rodriguez said "Cry me a river. No one comes to games to watch the defensive coaches."
So my response to him (and all the fans and coaches with the same opinion) is, why even have the defense on the field? Why not run plays against air if we're not interested in defense and defensive strategy? That way, the offense could score on every play.
The funny thing is we have scored more pts than Rich Rod's Mildcats every year he has been there. Therefore with our defense we win championships and Rich Rod goes to the Holiday Bowl.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The guy who pooped out on taking the Bama job tells the current Bama coach to "Cry me a river."

I'm guessing Rod is simply too dumb to realize how pitiful these remarks are, especially coming from him.

But it seems to be in fashion for lesser coaches to take preseason swipes at Saban...poor babies want to get their licks in before the actual games begin.

And as Saban pointed out...Bama has a pretty good recent win-loss record, despite the hurry-up gimmick.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Dear Richrod: You're right---people don't come to see the defense. They come to see winners. Which is why attendance became an issue during your tenure at Michigan.

Sincerely,
jthomas666

PS: Bite me.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Pretty sure Brett McMurphy didn't properly translate Rich Rod's quote. I read it as "I'm stupid for listening to my wife and allowing Nick Saban to take over Alabama. I cry a river every time they win a national title."

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
this idiot should check the last time Arizona averaged more points per game than bama.....try 2008....shut up RichRod because you are no longer relevant! Thank God this idiot didn't come to Bama!

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
An Alabama fan believes defenses win championships. I love our great defenses and our championships. So, count me as one who does go to games to watch great defensive players and their coaches.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
i was in law school during part of his tenure at WVU and from what I'm hearing, he may end up back there if pantyhosen doesn't have a winning season this year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
All of the jokes about him not coming to Alabama are great and appropriate. But I just can't get over this argument by those who love the high scoring HUNH offenses - that "no one wants to see defense."
Ok then. Just play against air. Or let's make it flag football 7 on 7's and be done with it. But they'll say that is absurd.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For starters, here's the link:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/07/rich_rodriguez_fires_shot_at_h.html

And here's Rich Rod acting like a jerk:

"I call it a farce," Rodriguez said at Pac-12 Media Days. "That's just my opinion. No, but I can tell you, you can read long and hard, but if you think pace of play has anything to do with injuries, you drank the wrong poison. It's actually silly I think to treat injuries, but, again, that's been there, done that. I think it would be hard to find any hard data that shows the pace of play contributes more to injury, but that's my opinion."

Then we get this gem of intellect:

"Oh, hell, it's all personal agenda," Rodriguez said. "Why try to defend it when you can just change the rules? I don't blame them. I would do it too. I don't want to have to teach our guys how to substitute fast, let's just change the rules. That's all it is. I don't see any guys that are running the fast no-huddle saying we have a problem with injuries and pace of play. If it was, as a coach, if you have true concern with your players, which we all do, if you thought that was an issue, you'd change your system. I think it's just the opposite

For starters, Rich Rod doesn't even get it. It has to do with the DEFENSE getting injuries, MORON!!! Because the DEFENSE is running BACK and KEEPING PLAYERS ON THE FIELD while the offense is SUBSTITUTING PLAYERS running forward.

I can't tell if he's being disingenuous or he's really that stupid.

As far as defending it:

1) 2012 aTm averaged 44 PPG - Alabama held them to 29
2) 2013 Auburn averaged 41 PPG - Alabama held them to 28 (6 was on the return)
3) 2013 aTm averaged 48 PPG - Alabama held them to 42
4) 2010 Auburn averaged 41 PPG - Alabama held them to 28

In all four games, the Tide held the HUNH team A TOUCHDOWN BELOW their average. The record is 1-3, but ALL THREE LOSSES involved:
a) failure to execute at critical times
b) leaving points on the board (esp 2010 IB)
c) the aTm and 2010 Auburn losses were also due to turnovers

Alabama simply does NOT have the problem a lot of critics want to allege about the HUNH.

Incidentally, RRod's big-time offense only scored NINE POINTS against a Pitt team that averaged giving up 26 PPG in a lousy conference - all this with the national title on the line.

And in their first game without RRod?The Mountaineers mauled Oklahoma.

Let's face it: RRod is below average in a lot of ways.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Great post Selma. I like the data and it really shows that if we just don't make mistakes in these games, we don't lose to the vaunted HUNH teams.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
All of the jokes about him not coming to Alabama are great and appropriate. But I just can't get over this argument by those who love the high scoring HUNH offenses - that "no one wants to see defense."
Ok then. Just play against air. Or let's make it flag football 7 on 7's and be done with it. But they'll say that is absurd.
they already have that, arena league football. its success speaks for itself.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.