News Article: Treatment Of New Sea Ice Study Highlights Alarmist View Of Conflicting Evidence

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
A new study of how satellite data is interpreted shows that one of two views is wrong. Either Antarctic sea ice is growing very rapidly (as interpreted by the latest updated algorithms), or it's growing not quite so rapidly (as interpreted by older antiquated algorithms). The fact that it's "stubbornly" growing at all is viewed by the LA Times and some of their sources as a "problem" that needs to be resolved. It's a "problem" because it conflicts with the warming model as they understand it.

I think it's interesting that when confronted with evidence that doesn't jibe with the theory, even when that evidence should be viewed as good news, warm-earth proponents view it as a problem and cast doubt on the evidence, rather than as an indication that maybe their theory is perhaps a little to bleak.

Link

The paradox of expanding Antarctic sea ice has troubled scientists for many years. Although climate models predict southern sea ice should shrink, it has stubbornly refused to do so.
But while the study marks “an excellent piece of scientific vigilance,” as Paul Holland of the British Antarctic Survey told Nature, it doesn’t change the overall story of Antarctic sea ice.

“Both datasets say Antarctic sea ice is expanding now at a statistically significant rate,” Eisenman said. At best, it might make the trend a little easier to explain.

“If the error is in the current version, it doesn’t resolve the problem, but it does lessen it,” Eisenman said. “But if the error is in the old dataset, it will not help us resolve that enigma.”

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Didn't you hear? The debate is over!

Political gain trumps everything - science, economics, race relations, common sense, etc.
If sea ice growth is going to win me more votes, you know I'm going to tout that story. I'm sure Obama will take credit for it by pushing carbon credits and working with China to increase their pollution control standards.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think it's interesting that when confronted with evidence that doesn't jibe with the theory, even when that evidence should be viewed as good news, warm-earth proponents view it as a problem and cast doubt on the evidence, rather than as an indication that maybe their theory is perhaps a little to bleak.
As I read it, the problem is the inconsistency of the data, not the ultimate implications of warming or not-warming.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Just curious, did it say specifically that the area of Antarctic sea ice was expanding or the total volume?

As far as global warming:
Last Month Was Hottest June On Record Since 1880
If you aren’t currently a quickly evaporating puddle on the floor, than congratulations! You’ve just survived the hottest Jun ever since records started being kept in 1880. That according to climate data released Monday from the National Climatic Data Center of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which found that the worldwide average temperature over land and sea in June 2014 was 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than the 20th century average of 59.9 degrees.

The record was driven largely by warmer than normal ocean surfaces. Last month saw the highest temperatures on the water for any June on record, and the highest departure from the average for any single month ever. Average global land surface temperatures for June 2014 were also the seventh hottest June ever recorded.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2014/07/21/june-was-hottest-on-record/

Last edited:

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/...n-on-coldest-start-to-the-year-in-us-history/
amazing how every yr is hottest ever when we keep having things like this:
US temperatures through April 26 are third coldest on record, just barely behind 1899 and 1912. This week is forecast to be cold, and will likely push 2014 into the #1 spot.
anybody remember the brutally cold winters in europe recently? but suddenly it still is the hottest yr ever. it seems a little baffling how we can have the coldest temps ever during winter yet have the hottest yr on record.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/...n-on-coldest-start-to-the-year-in-us-history/
amazing how every yr is hottest ever when we keep having things like this:

anybody remember the brutally cold winters in europe recently? but suddenly it still is the hottest yr ever. it seems a little baffling how we can have the coldest temps ever during winter yet have the hottest yr on record.
Um, not really. The global warming predictions, which are still only half-formed, if that, because of the complexities of climate, predict more extremes - which may shift. Stormier storms, etc. I used to live in New York. If you'd suggested that there might be a tornado in NY in July, I'd've thought you were crazy...

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
As I read it, the problem is the inconsistency of the data, not the ultimate implications of warming or not-warming.
That's one interpretation. Several paragraphs seem to indicate otherwise - that there are actually two problems discussed. The first is the point you make: the two data sets don't agree. Therefore, at least one is wrong. The second problem is that no matter which data set is wrong, they both indicate expanding sea ice, which contradicts what their climate models say should be happening. I'll refer again to the paragraphs I originally quoted, along with the final paragraph of the article.

Ted Scambos, a sea ice expert at the National Snow and Ice Data Center, agrees: “I don't think this lets us off the hook of explaining how Antarctica's sea ice is expanding in a warming world,” he told Nature.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I have it on good authority that Al Gore has stolen the Bush-Cheney Hurricane Making Machine and will soon begin using it for political purposes.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Just curious, did it say specifically that the area of Antarctic sea ice was expanding or the total volume?
They don't specifically say, and that is a pertinent question with regard to the overall debate concerning total ice growth or shrinkage. The actual study however does repeatedly use terms such as "coverage" and "extent", while avoiding terms like "mass", etc. So I have to think that its focus was restricted to area vs volume.

My
focus in the original post however was restricted to the LA Times and several of its sources' reaction to the study, and their clear disappointment (in my view, cbi1972's opinion notwithstanding) with expanding antarctic sea ice. Shouldn't this be viewed as good news?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Um, not really. The global warming predictions, which are still only half-formed, if that, because of the complexities of climate, predict more extremes - which may shift. Stormier storms, etc. I used to live in New York. If you'd suggested that there might be a tornado in NY in July, I'd've thought you were crazy...
Of course, how do we know if tornados in July in New York are normal or not? Maybe your earlier experience was a abnormal.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Of course, how do we know if tornados in July in New York are normal or not? Maybe your earlier experience was a abnormal.
Doesn't really matter, anyway. The situation is what it is and it's most probably non-reversible, even if the political will existed to reverse it - and it doesn't. So we will deal with the consequences, whatever they may be. It's cast in stone at this point...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.