The new dust bowl? Drought Apocalypse approaches as CO River basin dries up

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Re: The new dust bowl? Drought Apocalypse approaches as CO River Basin dries up

Trying to irrigate the desert. What do you expect?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Only a tiny little piece of a huge jigsaw puzzle...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

Only a tiny little piece of a huge jigsaw puzzle...
They reported this in gallons of water which makes the number seem high. The usual measure is acre-feet; about 325k gallons. Two times the capacity of Lake Mead is about 57 million acre feet.

I read through a recent report by the Texas Water Development board that estimated the recoverable groundwater in Harris County (Houston metro) alone at 380 million acre-feet.

It's a lot of water, but not that much.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

They reported this in gallons of water which makes the number seem high. The usual measure is acre-feet; about 325k gallons. Two times the capacity of Lake Mead is about 57 million acre feet.

I read through a recent report by the Texas Water Development board that estimated the recoverable groundwater in Harris County (Houston metro) alone at 380 million acre-feet.

It's a lot of water, but not that much.
The problem is they are trying to make all the MUDs get off of ground water and move to surface water. The problem is there isn't that much surface water. Our MUD is part of the North Fort Bend Water Authority and we are supposed to tap into a reservoir from the Brazos. The problem is the Brazos is at all time lows as well so we continue to pump ground water.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

The problem is they are trying to make all the MUDs get off of ground water and move to surface water. The problem is there isn't that much surface water. Our MUD is part of the North Fort Bend Water Authority and we are supposed to tap into a reservoir from the Brazos. The problem is the Brazos is at all time lows as well so we continue to pump ground water.
You're mixing the issues here. The link you posted was about Cali/Ariz etc. implying some apocalypse because of some seemingly huge amount water decrease in the Colorado River Alluvium.

With respect to your MUD, the 80/20 surface/groundwater ratio is being pushed in the Metro for the reason of subsidence (this being arguable). I assume your MUD has been pulled in to WHRWA?

The Brazos is no solution; there are more water rights there than there is water, and the water is terrible quality.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

Check this link out. "Deep Underground Oceans Of Water May Be Trapped In A Crystal Sponge", http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...s-of-water-may-be-trapped-in-a-crystal-sponge

It could be a vast amount of water, says the Guardian. "If just 1 percent of the weight of mantle rock located in the transition zone was water it would be equivalent to nearly three times the amount of water in our oceans, Jacobsen said."

Makes my head hurt LOL! ;)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

You mentioned the report on Harris County groundwater which is why I commented on the MUDs and groundwater issues. Agreed the Brazos is no solution. Our groundwater quality is much better. We opted out of the WHRWA and went with the North Fort Bend WA. We straddle both counties so we had the option and it delayed our joining by a couple of years and the tax implications associated with it.

Regardless, it looks like the southwest is in for a rocky ride. I think desalinization plants and brown water need to be considered as alternative sources at some point.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

You mentioned the report on Harris County groundwater which is why I commented on the MUDs and groundwater issues. Agreed the Brazos is no solution. Our groundwater quality is much better. We opted out of the WHRWA and went with the North Fort Bend WA. We straddle both counties so we had the option and it delayed our joining by a couple of years and the tax implications associated with it.

Regardless, it looks like the southwest is in for a rocky ride. I think desalinization plants and brown water need to be considered as alternative sources at some point.
Is NFBWA doing the 80/20?

Edit. The report I was talking about is the TWDB TERS report.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Is NFBWA doing the 80/20?

Edit. The report I was talking about is the TWDB TERS report.
It hasn't been brought on line, but I think so. We're paying $1.2/every 1000 gallons of water used to build a "pipeline" from the Brazos reservoir to Cinco. Awesome....

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

It hasn't been brought on line, but I think so. We're paying $1.2/every 1000 gallons of water used to build a "pipeline" from the Brazos reservoir to Cinco. Awesome....
I read that NFBWA recently tied in to the Lake Houston system.

Also, it look like your mandate there is 30 percent surface water.

Sugar Land put on a surface water plant last year drawing from Oyster Creek. Not too big; about 9 MGPD.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Do we not have the technology to turn sea water into clean drinking water? Just seems like that could be a solution since the entire state of California is next to an ocean.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

Do we not have the technology to turn sea water into clean drinking water? Just seems like that could be a solution since the entire state of California is next to an ocean.
Sure. The barriers are cost (reverse osmosis is expensive to operate and pipelines are expensive) and what to do with the reject from the RO

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

we could always send waves of dehydrated americans south to seek water from our southern neighbors.
That is a great idea. How bout dehydrated troops? Vacuum packed in sealed plastic. 10,000 on one truck. Pop the seal, add water and voila, instant army. Imagine the possibilities for air and vehicle travel! Dehydration could solve prison overcrowding! 1,000 prisoners to a cell. Sentence over? Add water and off you go!! Endless applications!;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.