2014 offensive line

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I have not seen much discussion bout the tide off line this season. personally, I am more concerned about the off line than any other major area. I look at the returning group, and I am concerned. probably a good freshman at left tackle, will need a few games to adjust, a left guard that I thought average, a center, I have always thought smart, but, not physical enough. missing a excellent right guard in steen, however, Jackson I think would be a good fit here. and a good right tackle. our offense could be outstanding, with the offensive line up to par with past lines. it just worries me early.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
We return Arie at LG, Kelly at C, and Shep at RT.

With another year of S&C and OL training I think all three of those fellas are solid.

LT and RG have to be solidified but there are able players there and coming in. Names like Dom Jackson, Grant Hill, Leon Brown, and of course, Big Cam will provide great competition and good depth.

I'm fairly optimistic about our OL's chance to be successful and improve upon last year.

Dakotatider

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005
My thought is

TE OJ Howard
OL Cam Robinson
OG Lester Cotton
C Ryan Kelly
OG Arie Kouandjio
OL Austin Shepard
TE Brian Vogler

Not sure about Arie but here ya go.

Dakotatider

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005
BTW, If the left side is what i posted that would be a sick left side from what i have heard of Lester Cotton and Cam.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My thought is

TE OJ Howard
OL Cam Robinson
OG Lester Cotton
C Ryan Kelly
OG Arie Kouandjio
OL Austin Shepard
TE Brian Vogler

Lester Cotton is in high school. He's a 2015 recruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shottistyeti

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2006
Worries me too. I remember last year when CNS was still trying folks at different positions along the offensive line as late as August. That concerned me greatly at that time, and ultimately my concern proved warranted.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
My thought is

TE OJ Howard
OL Cam Robinson
OG Lester Cotton
C Ryan Kelly
OG Arie Kouandjio
OL Austin Shepard
TE Brian Vogler

Also, Are is a left guard, not a right guard. I also don't think cam starts day one either. It wouldn't surprise me If he gets there by the end If the season, but we didn't even start CyKo consistently until his Soph year.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Also, Are is a left guard, not a right guard. I also don't think cam starts day one either. It wouldn't surprise me If he gets there by the end If the season, but we didn't even start CyKo consistently until his Soph year.

Cameron starts. Saban is going to get all this potential as many game reps as possible.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
With three returning starters, OL should be a strength, but in a big game which would have put us in the SEC championship, we could not pick up a first down on third and one and fourth and one against an average (or below) barn defense. Unless there is vast improvement, I'm afraid our OL will not be a dominate force.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm concerned about the OL (and PK and P, but those are for different threads).

We have three starters returning from a 2013 line that was suspect at best after the LSU game, and inconsistent prior to that, even though the competition wasn't all that great.

Consistently had false starts, missed assignments, and mental errors on 3rd and 4th and short. If we convert just one of three of those against the barn, we run the clock out. But we were repeatedly stuffed by an inferior defense, and you know the rest. Point being, I'm not sure three of those guys starting again is necessarily a good thing.

Saban has come as close as he ever will to anointing a true freshman as starting LT before fall camp, and consensus is that the fifth starter will be a juco newcomer.

Other more knowledgeable posters have expressed more optimism, and I would love to be wrong here. But facts is facts, and beyond another year under the belt for three guys, I don't see a lot of encouraging stuff here.

For those more optimistic, what am I missing? Why do you foresee better OL play?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i too am concerned about our line. Sure, we have some guys returning. But that doesnt mean much when their performance last season was not up to par for a Bama line. so many times certain guys got blown up or whiffed. in college on the offensive line, more times than not if you get beat it's something you did wrong.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
i too am concerned about our line. Sure, we have some guys returning. But that doesnt mean much when their performance last season was not up to par for a Bama line. so many times certain guys got blown up or whiffed. in college on the offensive line, more times than not if you get beat it's something you did wrong.
None of us know whether the OLine will click until the season progresses. However, with the game experience and all the practice time they've had, not to mention the talented depth available, if we don't show significant progress someone needs to lose their coaching job.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
With three returning starters, OL should be a strength, but in a big game which would have put us in the SEC championship, we could not pick up a first down on third and one and fourth and one against an average (or below) barn defense. Unless there is vast improvement, I'm afraid our OL will not be a dominate force.
while that had a lot to do with our o-line, a lot of that was on play calling too. we were very predictable with our run game last year and opponents were able to overload the line and stop us a lot.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
They started out the season typically slow as has been the case in 2011 and 2012 but unlike in those years we lost a starter (center) for multiple games and also unlike in those years the right tackle (Shep) battled to keep a true freshman (Hill) from taking his job. Arie predictably had to learn on the job and then got banged up toward the end. The end result is that after leveling off mid season the line took a step back to finish. It's probably worth noting that the line reflected the team in that regard.

When it comes to OL consistency is key because 4 guys can do it right and one can screw up and the play gets blown up. I think Arie, Kelly, and Shep will all be much more consistent this year after they get a game or two under their belt. The question marks will be at left tackle obviously and right guard. We really don't know who will start there or how good (consistent) they will be. It's going to be hard to sit Cameron Robinson down because he's got such a huge upside, Leon Brown played well this spring and we have yet to see how good this Dominick Jackson fellow is. Grant Hill is still around nipping at Shep's heels too and he added 20 lbs of "something" to his frame this winter. If that's muscle and not hamburger you got to think he will at least get some goal line tight end duty.

Having said all that the jury is still out on how good an OL coach we have. I don't really think last year answered that question either way except to say that I was impressed with how our guys off the bench performed.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I share the concerns. This is a good thread. O line must play better this year. As others have pointed out, we had not just physical, but mental, breakdowns that cost us last year. Got truly tired of seeing our rbs have to cut in their own backfield to avoid tackles. Crossing my fingers.....

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I share the concerns. This is a good thread. O line must play better this year. As others have pointed out, we had not just physical, but mental, breakdowns that cost us last year. Got truly tired of seeing our rbs have to cut in their own backfield to avoid tackles. Crossing my fingers.....

There was an awful lot of chaos and penetration at the LOS. With the talent and experience coming back, if we are staring at malfunction junction again, it may be time for an all points bulletin for one Jeff Stoutland.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
My thought is

TE OJ Howard
OL Cam Robinson
OG Lester Cotton
C Ryan Kelly
OG Arie Kouandjio
OL Austin Shepard
TE Brian Vogler

I do not think we signed Jackson out of Juco to sit on the bench. I am not sure where he will be, but he will see a good bit of playing time. IMO

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I've let go of my frustration from the IB. And in this case, the disappointment with the OL.

2013 is gone, history, and cannot be changed.

The root of optimism is a simple truth. Nothing teaches like experience, especially overcoming challenges AND struggling through tough times.

The OL and in particular one big fella at LG are human y'all. Geez we all make mistakes. Don't judge this year before a single snap. Or do. Doesn't really matter. The boys are gonna play.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
#1 biggest concern for me is O-line and A-day didn't do a whole lot to suppress that fear. IMO we have the best group of talent in the country in the skill positions on offense so if the O-line can play at 85% of the level of the last title winning group we'll be fine

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.