SEC Pre(dicition) Season: Auburn

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I agree.... I think Malzhan and his offense are the real deal. I hate to admit it but, when Gus has a QB that can run the system, he will give Kirby and Saban fits. As long as Gus stays, he will have Auburn in the top 5 consistently. BAMA will be good but, with all we have lost the past couple of years, a questionable secondary, new QB and LT, 9-3 (5-3; 4th in SEC West) and a Gator or Music City Bowl assignment is about what I expect. (Losses to LSU, AU and Ole Miss) I do see us back to challenging for the SEC West and playoff bid in 2015 with an experienced Coker at QB, Cam at LT, Henry at RB and a secondary led by Humphrey and Brown.

Arkansas - W
San Jose State - W
at Kansas State - W
Louisiana Tech - W
Louisiana State - W
at Mississippi State - W
South Carolina - W
at Ole Miss - W
Texas A&M - W
at Georgia - L
Samford - W
at Alabama - W (Saban falls to .500 against the Barn as BAMA HC)

I see them 11-1 SEC W champions. Beat SC in SEC Champ game and take the #3 seed in the playoffs behind FSU, OU, and ahead of Ohio St.
Better team....worse record

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
Honestly, I think picking them on last years record(what most pundits are doing) is about as sketchy as picking them last year based on 2012 record.

Scheme wise they are sound and difficult to defend, but D coordinators are now a year ahead of last year. Depth and experience wise I don't think they are overall any better.
schedule wise they are much worse off. They were honestly a 4 loss team last year and with two of the luckiest play is history managed to only lose 2. That is what I base my 4 loss and 4th in the west prediction.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I agree.... I think Malzhan and his offense are the real deal. I hate to admit it but, when Gus has a QB that can run the system, he will give Kirby and Saban fits. As long as Gus stays, he will have Auburn in the top 5 consistently. BAMA will be good but, with all we have lost the past couple of years, a questionable secondary, new QB and LT, 9-3 (5-3; 4th in SEC West) and a Gator or Music City Bowl assignment is about what I expect. (Losses to LSU, AU and Ole Miss) I do see us back to challenging for the SEC West and playoff bid in 2015 with an experienced Coker at QB, Cam at LT, Henry at RB and a secondary led by Humphrey and Brown.

Arkansas - W
San Jose State - W
at Kansas State - W
Louisiana Tech - W
Louisiana State - W
at Mississippi State - W
South Carolina - W
at Ole Miss - W
Texas A&M - W
at Georgia - L
Samford - W
at Alabama - W (Saban falls to .500 against the Barn as BAMA HC)

I see them 11-1 SEC W champions. Beat SC in SEC Champ game and take the #3 seed in the playoffs behind FSU, OU, and ahead of Ohio St.
They are being paid to win, not lose. So, if you are right, the barn got their money's worth again this year.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It's hard to predict the barn because they do seem to have a horseshoe up their..... However, I don't think Artis-Payne or Grant can produce as well as Mason and that will hurt their other options. I also don't see their defense improving and may backslide some, if that's possible.

As for stopping their offense I've been dumb founded that Alabama didn't do it or seem to know how to do it. The way you stop it is the same way you stop the Wishbone, penetration and forcing the QB to make his read a little too quickly. We did it to perfection against LSU in the BCSCG with Jordan Jefferson, who is equal to or better than Marshall.

Despite what some think about our defense I think the key will be the play of our NG, who is a critical component in run stopping and pass rushing in Coach Saban's defense.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
A reasonable prediction based on last years performance, IMO. Many people forget how young their team was last yr. malzahn has a qb and more experienced team going into 2014, and LSU at home. I think they are set up to have a very good season, unless they self-destruct.

I tend to agree with dman and Wylie about auburn. I see only two possible losses, UGA and Alabama both on the road. If they get by UGA then I see them beating us, if they lose to UGA I like our chances. Either way they will be a tough out.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It's hard to predict the barn because they do seem to have a horseshoe up their..... However, I don't think Artis-Payne or Grant can produce as well as Mason and that will hurt their other options. I also don't see their defense improving and may backslide some, if that's possible.

As for stopping their offense I've been dumb founded that Alabama didn't do it or seem to know how to do it. The way you stop it is the same way you stop the Wishbone, penetration and forcing the QB to make his read a little too quickly. We did it to perfection against LSU in the BCSCG with Jordan Jefferson, who is equal to or better than Marshall.

Despite what some think about our defense I think the key will be the play of our NG, who is a critical component in run stopping and pass rushing in Coach Saban's defense.
Jordan Jefferson doesn't compare to Marshall as far as being a running QB. NM is a great athlete playing QB. That's why he is poor at passing.

Last edited:

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Jordan Jefferson doesn't compare to Marshall as far as being a running QB. NM is a great athlete playing QB. That's why he is poor at passing.
He beat us with his arm and legs in 2010 and 2011. The point is LSU tried a lot of option plays in the BCSNG but we were ready for them and shut them down by forcing him to make the pitch when he didn't want to.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He beat us with his arm and legs in 2010 and 2011. The point is LSU tried a lot of option plays in the BCSNG but we were ready for them and shut them down by forcing him to make the pitch when he didn't want to.
LSU's offense that beat us with Jordan Jefferson was very different than what AU is running now. Of course there are some similarities but I don't remember LSU putting up over 300 yards rushing against us or leading the nation in rushing. The main reason for that is because of what my original point was, that NM is a superior athlete to JJ IMO. Better QB? Maybe, maybe not. But much better athlete IMO.

LSU in 2010 rushed for 225 yards
LSU in 2011 rushed for 148 yards
AU in 2013 rushed for 296 yards

Last edited:

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I think AU will lose 4 games minimum.

Gus is a pretty smart coach and he will try take advantage of teams preparing for last years offense which was not really what he wants to run.

They will come out passing much more than last year and it will yield some big plays and perhaps win a close game early.

By mid-season after a loss to LSU, reality sets in that NM is just not going to win games by passing so they go back to last years MO but everyone is ready for it. They will go 2-2 against LSU,MSU,USC,OM. Playing at GA will get them a loss.

Whatever the records are come Nov 29, they will not leave Tuscaloosa with a win. Not this year.

To keep from losing more than 4, they will have to go practically injury free in the starting groups. If they lose a Dismukes,Coates,Wright, Therezie, NM, it will be a major blow.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I think AU will lose 4 games minimum.

Gus is a pretty smart coach and he will try take advantage of teams preparing for last years offense which was not really what he wants to run.

They will come out passing much more than last year and it will yield some big plays and perhaps win a close game early.

By mid-season after a loss to LSU, reality sets in that NM is just not going to win games by passing so they go back to last years MO but everyone is ready for it. They will go 2-2 against LSU,MSU,USC,OM. Playing at GA will get them a loss.

Whatever the records are come Nov 29, they will not leave Tuscaloosa with a win. Not this year.

To keep from losing more than 4, they will have to go practically injury free in the starting groups. If they lose a Dismukes,Coates,Wright, Therezie, NM, it will be a major blow.
Yeah I like our chances this yr as a rematch from a L.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think Gus recognized that people are gunning for them this year, and that's why he worked so hard to get Marshall and Johnson ready for passing the ball more often this year, and it'll be more balanced to the point where it'll be even harder to guess what they'll do on each series throughout the game. The Arkansas game will tell us a lot about their offense. Arkansas use 4-3 format, and they didn't like to blitz a lot last year, and you can expect that to change this year. Look for them to be aggressive up front against Auburn,and there will be lot of pressure coming from linebackers and safeties to force them to make play down the field. SO we'll see Auburn throwing a lot in that game,and we might get a chance to see them showing their " hands" and by the time they get to Alabama, teams will figure them out for most part.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
There is no point in bringing up how to stop the HUNH because we all know by now, and you can bet that the coaches around the league have been thinking the same things, so I expect that any team with a good D will make the necessary adjustments to at least slow them down. They aren't a bunch of Supermen, and they can be beat with the right approach on defense.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
the no-huddle isn't impossible to stop...I just feel our defense is kinda geared for pro-style offenses and we just don't see many of those from our real competition anymore.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
LSU's offense that beat us with Jordan Jefferson was very different than what AU is running now. Of course there are some similarities but I don't remember LSU putting up over 300 yards rushing against us or leading the nation in rushing. The main reason for that is because of what my original point was, that NM is a superior athlete to JJ IMO. Better QB? Maybe, maybe not. But much better athlete IMO.

LSU in 2010 rushed for 225 yards
LSU in 2011 rushed for 148 yards
AU in 2013 rushed for 296 yards
I understand that LSU's offense is not the same as AU's offense. What I'm trying to point out is that LSU ran a lot of option when Jefferson was the QB. In the 2010 and 2011 game Lee played QB in those games as well.

During the BSCNG that we won against LSU they tried running more of an option attack than they had in the past because they went with Jefferson exclusively. We stuffed everything they tried to do with the option because we were more prepared for it and attacked with defensive penetration forcing Jefferson to make the wrong decisions.

My overall point is you have to attack option type offenses, which AU's offense is.

The biggest difference in LSU's offense when Lee and Jefferson shared QB responsibility was that LSU was a little schizophrenic offensively whereas AU is committed to an option style offense.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Auburn has an offense. I'm not sure what LSU was in the period. They just outhustled us in a few games with a pretty haphazard offensive scheme (but supremely talented skill in it).

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
NM is a much better athlete than JJ is IMO. His running ability was the real driving force behind that offense. He was bad as a passer last year either hitting his open WR or being way off target. I'm betting they come out passing more this season but his int's are probably going to go up as well.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I understand that LSU's offense is not the same as AU's offense. What I'm trying to point out is that LSU ran a lot of option when Jefferson was the QB. In the 2010 and 2011 game Lee played QB in those games as well.

During the BSCNG that we won against LSU they tried running more of an option attack than they had in the past because they went with Jefferson exclusively. We stuffed everything they tried to do with the option because we were more prepared for it and attacked with defensive penetration forcing Jefferson to make the wrong decisions.

My overall point is you have to attack option type offenses, which AU's offense is.

The biggest difference in LSU's offense when Lee and Jefferson shared QB responsibility was that LSU was a little schizophrenic offensively whereas AU is committed to an option style offense.
We "stuffed" LSU's offense because JJ is like a statue compared to NM lol. The real athletic QB's we have played, Cam, JFF, and NM, we have never really stopped. JJ is not in the class of any of those guys. That's why it looked like we more prepared when we shut JJ and LSU down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.