Question: Who Will be Bama's Most Likely Heisman Contender in 2014?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I'll win the Heisman before Coker does and I'm 58. How in the world can anybody mention the former backup QB at Florida State, a guy who has never taken a snap as a starting QB in college, and a guy who hasn't even been yet named our starting QB as a Heisman candidate? That's just not right dude.
Not trying to be ugly, but this guy isn't the second coming, for goodness sakes. Can we please get off this, "Coker's the incoming savior" attitude. He was a BACK UP at Florida State.
So you think their program is so awesome, and better than ours, that he qualifies to automatically be our starting quarterback?
I'm sorry, but he has something to prove to me before I become a fan of his, and he has done exactly nothing to do that as of yet.
sip
Easy there, fella - don't hurt yourself! ;) I agree that we haven't seen anything from Coker yet, but him being FSU's backup doesn't mean anything either. AJ was once GMac's backup, sCam was once Tebow's backup, etc, etc. People are basing their opinions on how he may play based on talent and potential. It's no different than people who see a 5* HS athlete and say he has the potential to be a All American or a Heisman winner one day.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Easy there, fella - don't hurt yourself! ;) I agree that we haven't seen anything from Coker yet, but him being FSU's backup doesn't mean anything either. AJ was once GMac's backup, sCam was once Tebow's backup, etc, etc. People are basing their opinions on how he may play based on talent and potential. It's no different than people who see a 5* HS athlete and say he has the potential to be a All American or a Heisman winner one day.
I hope Coker turns out to be an outstanding QB for us, and he certainly has some skills and athletic ability. I just know that the last time I saw so much anticipation and excitement about the arrival of a "can't miss" QB prospect, it was a young man named Billy Ray who turned out to be a complete and total bust. I just want to see Jacob perform before we give him the Heisman :)
And this too--If the expectations are through the roof, it really puts a ton of unnecessary pressure on the young man that he doesn't need at all.
Sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Here's an ironic twist to this plot--
First, I think Amari would have the best shot at present but he'd have to have about 1,500 receiving yards to have a prayer.
Now, conversely, if Amari did have say 1,500 receiving yards that would mean that our QB completed 1,500 yards worth of passes to just one receiver, which would probably translate into him throwing for about 3,000 yards or more overall.
In that case, then our QB may even have a shot.
Hmmm...
As far as our running backs I think too many will be in the rotation for one to have a Heisman like year. I do think if Henry was our starter and carried the ball 30 times a game that he might even be a front runner, but we won't find out this season.
sip

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
To the op. Ashawn Robinson will not be our highest draft pick in 2015, because we are lucky enough to have him for at least on more year after this one. He is a true Sophomore so he won't be eligible until the 2016 draft.

As for the question, it depends on one thing. Who us our starting QB. Most of us assume Coker, because he seems to make sense. If that's the case then the offense will likely be so balanced that no one garners any real chance at the Heisman. Experience or not, as pointed out the last two winners had never started either, Coker would be in the mix if he produced at AJ's level and we remain undefeated.

Now the other side of the coin is Blake Sims. If he is our starter, while I think we'll still be decently balanced, we'll run the ball a ton. Then all it takes is a couple of big games by Yeldon (or any back) and they will be thrust into the competition.
I was actually referring to the 2016 draft. Hence why I said that he might be in the conversation for 2015 and will be our highest pick the following year. Sorry if that wasn't clear or if I mispoke.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I don't care. I want to win ball games not Heismans.
I think most of us would prefer wins to the Heisman. We'd prefer wins to Thorpe Award winners, NFL draft picks, and recruiting success too. Doesn't mean we can't discuss all of the above, right?
Heismans also tend to go to players whose teams are very good. What, 3 of the last 5 winners have played for the title? Winston, Newton, and Ingram? If Jacob Coker or TJ Yeldon is a legit Heisman candidate, it would probably mean that we are in the title hunt.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
IMO the heisman is a clown circus joke of an award. Team work and the we mentality is what counts in football not the individual success. They can give it to Rapis Winston again I don't care.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
With integrity ignored and thuggish behavior rewarded, it doesn't mean what it once did. That is how many of us see it as fans. I would like to know how the players see it. I know they all want to be rewarded for excelling and wonder if they even consider the changes in the criteria.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.