Bad news from my surgeon Friday.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Found out Friday , I will need surgery again on my shoulder. Positive note is function was returning to my shoulder and arm, strength was minimal, and motion has improved. I am confident this should be my last surgery, and I will regain most of the function of my arm and shoulder.
As the only breadwinner in my family, I will become what I despise. I guess I have no choice but to apply for disability. I was optimistic I could return to work in December, but that will be pushed back to next spring/summer, surgeon really wants to be cautious with so much repaired tissue.
Again , wear your seatbelt, pretty simple idea.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hang in there bamaga and do what you need right now - in time you will recover. Use whatever safety nets are in place - that's what they are there for - nothing to despise - you (and many of us here) have paid into the system for just such emergencies.

Next Spring is just around the corner - compared to some out there - be grateful for what you have and that you are making progress.

I wish you continued recovery and if there's anything we can do - please keep us posted.

And please do continue your campaign on the use of seat belts - Lord knows it may help some out there who still don't get it.

always4bama

1st Team
Dec 14, 2006
Decatur, Alabama, United States
Good luck on the disability claim. Unless you have disability insurance you will most likely gave a very hard time with Social Security Disability. Unless things have changed there is not a short term disability and you have to have a disability that prevents you from doing any job in America. Those were some basic rules when I worked in this area.

i hope all goes well and quickly in your recovery.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good luck on the disability claim. Unless you have disability insurance you will most likely gave a very hard time with Social Security Disability. Unless things have changed there is not a short term disability and you have to have a disability that prevents you from doing any job in America. Those were some basic rules when I worked in this area.

i hope all goes well and quickly in your recovery.
I'm afraid that he'll be back to full strength before an SSDI claim goes through. OTOH, his injury seems as if it may be enough for a permanent SSDI claim...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I don't know much about disability, I hope it doesn't take a year. My Dr told me he will allow me to return to work 8-9 months after this surgery., it has already been 5 months. That should meet the requirement that an injury must last at least one year. I can prove my onset date, it was the date of my accident, march 7th , so that should take care of my 5 month wait period . I have no experience with this, and being in obvious need and meeting minimum criteria, I thought it should only take a few months. Guess I was wrong. So, should I hire an attorney?

BTW, 'any job in America' can no longer be a standard for disability, otherwise they wouldn't allow people that are disabled to make $1070/month before it impacts their disability. The standard they judge is by the type of work you performed previously. My Physical therapist has expressed doubts that I will ever return to that type of work( worked with robots at an auto plant). At times, it involves lifting several hundred pounds and working overhead. Look,I am not looking, nor will accept permanent disability, just need to keep family from going under.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would hire a lawyer specializing in SSDI matters. Normally speaking, there's no fee unless they recover and the SSA pays them. It's always important to ask specifically about fee arrangements. Nowadays, every personal injury lawyer states they handle SSDI, but I would want someone who handled nothing else...

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
I would hire a lawyer specializing in SSDI matters. Normally speaking, there's no fee unless they recover and the SSA pays them. It's always important to ask specifically about fee arrangements. Nowadays, every personal injury lawyer states they handle SSDI, but I would want someone who handled nothing else...
Totally agree. Here is a site that explains an attorneys role and fees in the process.

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/question16.html

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Ok, after talking to a couple of attorneys, I have decided to not apply for disability. I was under the mistaken belief social programs were here to help people in need, when they needed it, not a year and a half after you need them.
Thanks for all the advice.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Ok, after talking to a couple of attorneys, I have decided to not apply for disability. I was under the mistaken belief social programs were here to help people in need, when they needed it, not a year and a half after you need them.
Thanks for all the advice.
Huntsville times had an article this Sunday about the Social Security Administration computer system boondoggle. Right now they have 30 different systems which can't communicate with each other. They have spent $300 million in the last few years trying to implement a new system that will greatly speed up claims process. Not working too well.

Only four states have short term disability. Why don't you apply for disability now? Get a lump sum when you're approved. You can always get back off of disability. Apply for every assistance you qualify for. That's what it's there for.

Best of luck to you.

always4bama

1st Team
Dec 14, 2006
Decatur, Alabama, United States
The odds are truly against him for an approved disability claim. Though he can not return to the same line a work, SS takes the stance there is a job somewhere that he could do. Not fair, but those are the rules. For every year past the age of 50 more grace is given especially if there is a secondary health problem. It gets complicated. Most people get the attorney after a claim is denied, then submit an appeal, then more test and Dr appointments and then you wait for the Adminstrative Judge to hear the case. Long drawn out process without a permanent disability, unless you are a good scammer and plenty of those get approved too.

Huntsville times had an article this Sunday about the Social Security Administration computer system boondoggle. Right now they have 30 different systems which can't communicate with each other. They have spent $300 million in the last few years trying to implement a new system that will greatly speed up claims process. Not working too well.

Only four states have short term disability. Why don't you apply for disability now? Get a lump sum when you're approved. You can always get back off of disability. Apply for every assistance you qualify for. That's what it's there for.

Best of luck to you.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The odds are truly against him for an approved disability claim. Though he can not return to the same line a work, SS takes the stance there is a job somewhere that he could do. Not fair, but those are the rules. For every year past the age of 50 more grace is given especially if there is a secondary health problem. It gets complicated. Most people get the attorney after a claim is denied, then submit an appeal, then more test and Dr appointments and then you wait for the Adminstrative Judge to hear the case. Long drawn out process without a permanent disability, unless you are a good scammer and plenty of those get approved too.
Very accurate post. There is also the automatic denial for you. There are a few and I mean a few triggers that will get you approved but we are dealing with it now. Our attorney has handled over 6,000 cases and he said 99% were initially denied.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Most legitimate cases get denied because people do not understand what it is SS is looking for in deciding a disability claim. By and large it boils down to - once a disability is clearly established - how that disability affects ADL's )activities of daily living). The more clearly you can establish truthful disruption and interference with the ADL's the more likely your claim will be approved. So for instance, o ce a clear diagnosis is established for the shoulder issue then how does that affect your sleeping, lifting, ability to work overhead or lidt or climb ladders/stairs, prepare food, and so forth. What modifications have to be made to accommodate these problems. What things must be done for you and by whom. How is your movement and/or travel limited? So on and so forth. Establishing a diagnosis which is valid and qualifying is only about 1/10 of the battle. The rest is establishing the disabling effects of that condition. I was involved one time helping a very close loved one apply. They were approved on the first attempt. They no longer qualify and no longer receive it.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Just an update, Surgery has been so much fun, we are doing it again. Sept 19th I will have my 3rd 'last' surgery. I have now had my right arm strapped to my side for 6 months . During that time I have Taken almost 800 percocets and 120 Ambien . I never sleep, Have gained 50 pounds(302 now) as I am not allowed any type of physical activity in fear of ripping surgically repaired tissue. There are people with a lot worse problems than mine, just Frustrating when you can't tie your own shoes or buckle a belt. I am saying this because I have been testy on some messages, I am apologizing for some of my rants, trying to explain some of my comments

My arm for the last 6 months-
[/URL][/IMG]

BTW, I did apply for disability, but I could tell it will be denied. She acted like I was wasting her time.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hang in there Bamaga.....things always have a way of working out. You just have to keep going. One day at a time, as they say.

Sometimes for me in previous scenarios it's been a half day at a time - so feel free to go that route if it applies. :)

For what it's worth, I've not ever felt your posts were testy at all - in fact you have always been a very sage poster with very keen insight that I enjoy.

Best wishes to you - and please keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,
Baz

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Just an update, Surgery has been so much fun, we are doing it again. Sept 19th I will have my 3rd 'last' surgery. I have now had my right arm strapped to my side for 6 months . During that time I have Taken almost 800 percocets and 120 Ambien . I never sleep, Have gained 50 pounds(302 now) as I am not allowed any type of physical activity in fear of ripping surgically repaired tissue. There are people with a lot worse problems than mine, just Frustrating when you can't tie your own shoes or buckle a belt. I am saying this because I have been testy on some messages, I am apologizing for some of my rants, trying to explain some of my comments

My arm for the last 6 months-
[/URL][/IMG]

BTW, I did apply for disability, but I could tell it will be denied. She acted like I was wasting her time.
i feel you. although, i haven't quite had 800 percocet yet ;) here's hoping you find some relief soon

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Best of luck. Do the rehab!
Good luck to you, and I echo Earle's directive - 3 on one shoulder and mine is now worse than it was originally. Continuing the rehab might have helped, I'll never know now - I did it until I got full range of motion and (I thought) strength. But I'm thinking what he did to mine may have precluded my shoulder from ever being as good as it was - one makes do with what one has.
Hope everything works out and do whatever you must to survive - those who think ill of you for doing so are not worth your consideration.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.