@ Mizzou - W
@ Arkansas - W
vs. Florida - W
@ Kentucky - W
vs. Auburn - W
vs. Charleston Southern - W
vs. Ga. Tech - W

Summary
I may not believe much in Mark Richt, but I believe in defense. UGA has no shortage of talent on the defensive side of the ball and Jeremy Pruitt will infuse the same energy into that unit as Todd Gratham did when he first showed up. They have 3-4 personnel and Pruitt (with his time at Bama and FSU) will help to get them to take leaps forward. There's not enough good things you can say about Todd Gurley. The guy is going to wind up as one of the SEC's all-time greats. Behind him is Keith Marshall, who's coming off of a knee ligament injury (those normally take a year and a half to two years before you're back to 100%), and freshman Nick Chubb who looks to be a load. Senior Chris Conley returns at WR and Malcolm Mitchell is also back, but he, too suffered a season ending knee injury last year.

They have a stout start to their schedule, both of which could wind up being losses. It think Clemson, despite having arguably the best DL in the ACC, has more question marks than UGA and that's the difference. The South Carolina game, though, could determine the SEC East in Week 3. Both teams have the ability to run through their schedules and they have share a cross-divisional (Auburn) and OOC opponent (Clemson). This could wind up being a tie-breaker if it comes down to it in determining who wins the East.

I think Georgia has a strong bounce back year. I think they lose to SC simply because the game is played in Columbia, otherwise I'd have them going undefeated and going to Atlanta for the 2nd time in 3 years. Them making it to Atlanta is still a very real possibility without them going undefeated. I think it's a toss-up between them and USCe, but I have the Dawgs at a very strong 11-1.

Your thoughts?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Hmm.. I see them losing 2 possibly 3 games. I don't think Pruitt is anything special, and I don't think he'll have their defense playing that much better. The offense should be okay, as you said....they return a ton of fire power. In the end, the one thing that always bites them is coaching. In a year like this, when expectations are clearly high, look for them to "pull a Richt" and underachieve.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I agree, if they can get by Carolina they should go undeafeted with a potential rematch with us in the championship game. If that turns out to be the case the rematch should be a dandy.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
When all is said and done, they are still Georgia -- and Richt is still Richt -- he tends to get caught up in sidebar events during a game and loses sight of the big picture. I bet he sucks at Chess -- as he tends to Coach reactively --

Their schedule is pretty stout -- and I think a slip up to Auburn and a loss to either USCe or Florida is in the cards.....I see 10-2.....

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
their defense sucked the last several years and i don't see that magically changing. their biggest problem in the past few years, imho, is that they play soft and undisciplined, and i don't see that changing anytime soon. i think they drop games to florida and usc (and one other east opponent in their annual "how the hell did they lose that game" game). emotionally, i want to say that gatech finally gets some revenge on them, but i have been following tech too long to realize the futility of those emotions.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Pruitt has been raised amongst college coaches who value good run defense and discipline from their defenders. UGA has been missing that as a defense for years now and Pruitt could be a huge positive for them...if he can impart a Saban-like regime. The offense seems stacked, Mason got valuable training time at QB last season, and they have a favorable schedule.

I have Florida as my East pick but if UGA can get a solid defense together then I think they could make a push.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Georgia always seems to have a lot of talent every year. From what I understand this year will be no different including no drop off at QB.

But if they beat Florida this year --- that will make four in a row - with former Bulldog player (and now head coach of Florida) Will Muschamp 0-4 against his alma mater....which happens to be a huge rivalry of Florida.

Personally I haven't bought into all the hype about his job being on the chopping block. But if Florida does lose to Georgia again this year - the natives are going to be very very restless.....despite the way the rest of the season turns out.

I'm expecting a full blown war this year --- and may the best team win!

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Schedule prediction

vs. Clemson - W
@ South Carolina - L
vs. Troy - W
vs. Tennessee - W
vs. Vandy - W
@ Mizzou - W
@ Arkansas - L
vs. Florida - W
@ Kentucky - W
vs. Auburn - W
vs. Charleston Southern - W
vs. Ga. Tech - W

10-2 (6-2)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Pruitt has been raised amongst college coaches who value good run defense and discipline from their defenders. UGA has been missing that as a defense for years now and Pruitt could be a huge positive for them...if he can impart a Saban-like regime. The offense seems stacked, Mason got valuable training time at QB last season, and they have a favorable schedule.

I have Florida as my East pick but if UGA can get a solid defense together then I think they could make a push.
Agreed. Pruitt is what they have been missing on defense. UGA is loaded with good players and he can get the most out of them in that side of the ball.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Somehow UGA cannot win the big game and get over the hump. IMO, this season will be no different. The Dawgs drop 2-3.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
And I'm sure he'll do a great job of encouraging the new OL as they get whipped off the line or miss an assignment and the trainers are scraping up their QB ;)
he'll let them take an extra turn on the diving board as they wrap up their grueling summer one-a-days with the annual pool party ;)

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
How many players will be suspended for the first 2-3 games? If they have their usual 3-4, they could be 0-2 after the SCar game.
A diaspora has descended on their defensive backfield and there are a lot of unanswered questions about their quarterback. Color me a little skeptical.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.