Link: The Jaguars Unveil The World's Largest Scoreboards

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I would hate to have my tickets under the scoreboard. It would be like sitting too close at the movies, you just can't take it all in.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
And it will be 70% adds.
This is the ONLY reason to add boards like this. It gives you more space to place ads that can rotate...which means generating more revenue. The owners and investors of the Jaguars always care more about making money than they do winning games. Sure, winning brings in more money than losing, but it's clear that right now they can bring in more money via in-game advertising.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
If I was a Jags fan, I'd be upset that they would spend that kind of money building a giant screen instead of trying to build a better team.
That doesn't matter in the NFL because you have a hard salary cap and floor in place. Teams can't go over the hard cap of 133 million, but are required to spend a minimum of at least 88.5% of the hard cap amount on player compensation. It's not like with MLB where teams are given unfettered discretion such that you can find a 200 million dollar team taking the field against a 38 million dollar team. In the NFL, you basically have all teams spending roughly the same amount of money.

Now, to be sure, the Jags do have the most cap space available in the NFL at the moment, but that's actually football-driven reality rather than penny-pinching ownership. The harsh truth of the matter for them is that they don't have any young talent worth extending with big dollar contracts, and the higher-priced free agents have little interest in Jacksonville because (1) it's a small town with no real media market, and (2) the franchise has been an absolute joke on the field for several years now. As such, they have more cap space available than is typically the case, but still it's not a major gap between them and the rest of the league, nor is it one that they should even be trying to close at the moment (the only way they could do it would be to overspend on bad contracts to undeserving players).

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Sure, winning brings in more money than losing, but it's clear that right now they can bring in more money via in-game advertising.
It's more than simple desire. The reality is that winning in the NFL is a very difficult thing to do; making money as an NFL franchise, though, that's just taking candy from a baby...

bamajag600

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2006
Hawaii
I would hate to have my tickets under the scoreboard. It would be like sitting too close at the movies, you just can't take it all in.
No worries about that, there's another identical video board on the other side. :cool2: So the guy that shot that video was sitting under the other board.

bamajag600

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2006
Hawaii
This is the ONLY reason to add boards like this. It gives you more space to place ads that can rotate...which means generating more revenue. The owners and investors of the Jaguars always care more about making money than they do winning games. Sure, winning brings in more money than losing, but it's clear that right now they can bring in more money via in-game advertising.
Actually, not the only reason. As a Jags fan, I know there's a perception that they have the worst attendance in the NFL. But that's just not the case. On NFL.com, attendance figures go back 7 years and the Jaguars avg about 24th in the league. So that's better than the bottom third, including teams like St. Louis, Oakland, Tampa, Miami, Detroit, Buffalo, and Arizona. As for percentage of stadium filled, the Jags average around 20th in the league.

The thing is the Everbank Field is just too big for the city. Jacksonville is the 4th smallest NFL city, but has the 8th largest stadium. Something needed to be done to reduce the number of seats and improve the fan experience (Yes, winning would help too!) So they built the video boards, put in pools and party cabanas, and made the stadium size smaller without losing too much in the way of seat revenue.

*As for winning, it's really a quarterback driven league, and the Jaguars haven't had a good one since Mark Brunell. So here's to hoping Blake Bortles is the key!

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
My first thought: How hurricane prone is Jacksonville?
Actually, not very, believe it or not. Jacksonville and Savannah are in relatively safe places (compared to other locations on the southern atlantic coast, since hurricanes that get to that latitude are usually in the process of recurving northward. They tend to either hit farther southward along the Florida coast or recurve to make landfall in the Carolinas. Not saying it doesn't get hit, but much less than locations farther south and north.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.