Urban Meyer's Wife on the SEC, Florida Fans.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
In other words, "it's just easier here." And she's right. As they are currently postured, you could take a team and end up 8-4 in the SEC and sixth in the conference as a forgotten also-ran, but you could take that exact team, place it in the B1G, and end up 11-1 and in the conference championship game.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I don't blame her or him really. It IS much easier in the Big10. Sure, he hasn't won a post-season game yet (0-2) but he's against teams he can generally dominate without too much effort.

Instead of facing Saban (4 titles) , Jimbo (1 title), Spurrier (1 title) and Miles (1 title) he's facing a buncha guys that have zero titles. It's really unbelievable how little pedigree the Big10 coaches have outside of Meyer. Mark Richt would instantly be the #2 coach in the Big10. In the SEC he's middle of the road.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I like seeing this in print about another fan base besides us. It was talked about with Coach Saban so much last year as the possible reason for his leaving. She said it best though about football in the south. It is extremely important to us. Coaches in big time football really have to have some thick skin to put up with all the people who know more about football than they do.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
"So, the people who are critical of us, it’s not the people who know us. It’s the people who aren’t even around the program. They just want their team to win, and whoever can get their team to win, that’s who they’re for. And if you can’t do it or if you left them, then they’ll hate you.”

I think the above statement says a lot as well about some fans. College football in the south is a big deal and we sometimes take it to the extreme. Remember when we went through our little stretch of 'down years' we were not happy campers.

I have lived in Ohio for the past 25 years but grew up in northwest Alabama. I can guarntee you the SEC fan base is more intense and involved with their teams. WE love our high school and college football teams!

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I wonder if Urban Meyer has an issue with intense competition? Or competition in general. I know that he won 2 National Championships at Florida but after his departure, his desire to compete seem to come into question.
I was listening to the Braves yesterday on the radio and Mark Lemke made an interesting comment. I do not know if he was taking about A ball or Rookie ball but he mentioned playing with Meyer at the Minor League level and at the time Meyer made a statement about how he was shocked by the number of guys competing for the same position at that level of the minors. Put that comment along with his UF departure and the guy may not like intense competition and it does not get more intense than in the SEC.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Any time I see a coach's wife saying something, I can't help but compare it to the stuff Ms. Gus said back when he was an assistant at Auburn. :eek:

I'm proud Urban's wife can put a complete sentence together, it must be a challenge living with a coach as stressed as Urban seems to be.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I wonder if Urban Meyer has an issue with intense competition? Or competition in general. I know that he won 2 National Championships at Florida but after his departure, his desire to compete seem to come into question.
I was listening to the Braves yesterday on the radio and Mark Lemke made an interesting comment. I do not know if he was taking about A ball or Rookie ball but he mentioned playing with Meyer at the Minor League level and at the time Meyer made a statement about how he was shocked by the number of guys competing for the same position at that level of the minors. Put that comment along with his UF departure and the guy may not like intense competition and it does not get more intense than in the SEC.
So, basically Urban is exactly who we thought he was. Thanks for confirming Mrs. Meyer.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It amazes me sometimes how detached these coaches and their families are from the fan bases.

I guess there are plusses and minuses to that; probably more plusses.
Unless you're in Starkville or Oxford, MS, they don't pay coaches millions of dollars to be mediocre or even above average. They pay them these enormous salaries to be the best. So expectations are set very high but good night the compensation more than makes up for it. That's why I don't feel sorry for coaches when they talk about the stress of coaching. It's a game played by kids for the entertainment of society. If that's the worse stress they have then they're doing aight in my book.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Unless you're in Starkville or Oxford, MS, they don't pay coaches millions of dollars to be mediocre or even above average. They pay them these enormous salaries to be the best. So expectations are set very high but good night the compensation more than makes up for it. That's why I don't feel sorry for coaches when they talk about the stress of coaching. It's a game played by kids for the entertainment of society. If that's the worse stress they have then they're doing aight in my book.
Agreed. And they should expect that, if they fall short of those expectations, fans are going to gripe and complain on the radio and on message boards.

Should fans gripe and complain? Do we know what all goes into the work these coaches do? Of course not. But it is the nature of the beast and it amazes me that they seem shocked that it happens.

Florida sucked bad in 2010 precisely because of how poorly Meyer managed his roster and because he is a basket case. It should have come as no surprise and not even as a let down that the fans were upset with him.

Had he stuck with it.. had he kept working hard and turned that thing back around, he would have been worshipped today just like they still worship Spurrier. But no, he "got sick", retired, un-retired, went to work for ESPN, and then to OSU. Why would anyone think that Florida fans would love him after all of that?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.