SEC Pre(dicition) Season: South Carolina

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Why They'll be Good
I could honestly almost copy & paste everything that I did from UGA yesterday, but here goes

• Mike Davis at RB
  • Very good offensive line; one of the best in the country
  • Senior QB with good game experience (although he didn't set the world on fire when he played)

Why they'll be bad
  • Do they have to replace too much on defense?
  • Can their reinforcements on the defensive line help to mask their weakness at the corner?

Schedule Prediction

vs. Texas A&M - W
vs. East Carolina - W
vs. Georgia - W
@ Vandy - W
vs. Mizzou - W
@ Kentucky - W
vs. Furman - W
@ Auburn - W
vs. Tennessee - W
@ Florida - W
vs. South Alabama - W
@ Clemson - L

Summary -

Again, many of the same things I said about UGA yesterday, I can say about South Carolina. However, studying them more closely, they could very well start 1-2. Will their defensive line and corners mature faster than A&M's QB and WRs? If not, they could REALLY take that L in the first game. And as said yesterday, the game vs. Georgia could settle East early on. I give them the edge simply because they're playing at home. And I also have them losing to Clemson in their last regular season game for that same reason (Clemson playing at home).

All in all, as goes Mike Davis & Dylan Thompson, so goes the Gamecocks in 2014. I personally have them going 11-1 and in the SEC Championship game vs. Bama. Your thoughts?

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
So you're predicting 11-1 for USC and for UGA. That would all but guarantee 2 SEC teams in the playoff. The SECCG winner and then UGA at 11-1 with their only loss against a 1 loss USC team on the road.

I assume you have Bama at 12-0?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think this is a team that is really going to have to rely very heavily on the run game and on a senior QB to make some plays in the passing game while protecting the football. They've got some definite areas of strength, and it looks to be a good team, but I do think this is a team that doesn't have the top-end talent that it has had in the past two or three years. There aren't any legitimate star-types on this team, as I see it, which is actually a big change of pace for them in recent years when they've had guys like Gilmore, Jeffrey, Lattimore, Ingram, and Clowney. I think they will have to be a lot more blue collar to succeed this year than they have in the past couple of years.

Good news is that the schedule is pretty easy. The East is fairly weak, and they draw A&M at home and at the absolute best possible time (i.e. in the season opener). Clemson won't be easy, but it shouldn't be a big obstacle because they are rebuilding and SoCar has done extremely well against them in recent years, too. Road trips to Auburn and Florida will be very tough, but otherwise you have to be bullish about this schedule. Don't know if the team is good enough to get to Atlanta, but they've got a chance, and you couldn't ask for more from the schedule.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'll say this. I would expect the following team to be in playoff: USC, UGA, Alabama or Auburn. two of those team will make it in. I think it'll be winner/loser of SEC CHampionship in Playoff.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I'll say this. I would expect the following team to be in playoff: USC, UGA, Alabama or Auburn. two of those team will make it in. I think it'll be winner/loser of SEC CHampionship in Playoff.
I expect the 2nd SEC team, if they make it in, will be a divisional runner up. I'm thinking USC or UGA. The loser of that game will probably be out of the running for the SEC, but may well be in a better position to play in playoff since they won't have that 2nd loss in the SECCG.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
They're losing their two best players. Blue collar is right. Their Quarterback simply hasn't impressed me like Shaw did and USCe is usually a team that needs their QB to make big plays. I see them losing at least two--but not to Clemson.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Remember the committee said that whoeever lose the conference game, but still have good record could still make the team. So let's say for example, Alabama goes 11-0, Auburn 10-1 ( Loss to Alabama) Alabama meets USC for SEC Championship. USC has 12-2 ) record and UGA has 12-2) USC lose to Alabama. Alabama Gets in, Auburn is in. USC and UG could miss out on making the playoff depsite the records. Now it is possible USC could get in because they played a close game against Alabama than Auburn did and that oculd be factor.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Hmm their only loss to Clemson who they've beaten 5 years in a row??? Idk. Mike Davis may not be the most talented RB in the SEC but I think he will lead the conference in carries, rushing yards and TD's because they will have to rely on him so much.

hokiefan10

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 17, 2013
vs. Texas A&M - W
vs. East Carolina - W
vs. Georgia - L
@ Vandy - W
vs. Mizzou - W
@ Kentucky - W
vs. Furman - W
@ Auburn - L
vs. Tennessee - W
@ Florida - L
vs. South Alabama - W
@ Clemson - L

I've watched South Carolina very closely, no way they run the table in the SEC. Go back and watch the Mizzou game from last year and see how Dylan Thompson played. He was craptastic. Connor Shaw, Clowney, and Kelcy Quarrles were all huge losses for them. Shaw saved their butts many games being able to scramble and pick up 10+ yards, Thompson can not do that. Davis will be sharing playing time with other RBs, he won't get as many touches as you think. The seconadry is new, I fully expect them to be exposed against UGA. They lost 90% of their DL sacks b/w Clowney and Quarrles.

I expect them lose to
UGA- its in Columbia but Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall to plow over SC's LB core, they are small. Gurley has power. This is going to be a heck of a game. Georgia prevails because they are more rounded on both sides.
31-28 Georgia

Auburn- Auburn wins because experience on O, O line, and at home. They will wear down SCs line and dice them in the run game. Nick Marshall can run also, thats a huge problem SC will face. Auburn 42-27

Florida- Last year was something that will probably never happen again to the Gators. They were slammed with injuries, I expect them to be very good and contention for the East. It will all come down to UF vs UGA, UF vs SC, and SC vs UGA. Those 3 games will determine the east. I've got the Gators in the swamp 27-17, the gators almost upset the Cocks in Columbia while they had all those injuries (19 to 14). I expect this to be a night game.

Clemson- Oh Clemson and Dabo, can they recover from losing Boyd and Watkins? I've seen their new QB, he is very good. Not AJ McCarron but good. Its at home, Clemson has had some great recruiting classes. Its gotta happen one of these years, right? I had Carolina at first, but Im feeling risky today.

P.S.- I have Alabama beating Auburn in the Iron Bowl and winning the SEC.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Schedule Prediction

vs. Texas A&M - W
vs. East Carolina - W
vs. Georgia - W
@ Vandy - W
vs. Mizzou - W
@ Kentucky - W
vs. Furman - W
@ Auburn - L
vs. Tennessee - W
@ Florida - L
vs. South Alabama - W
@ Clemson - W

10-2 (6-2)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I don't think whatever football gods there may be would have it any other way....followed by us facing Oklahoma again in this year's playoff.

I hope we get to play these guys in Atlanta and demolish them along the lines of 45-10. This the week after we destroy Auburn. Hoping anyways.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
The ole ball coach will come out throwing the ball and visor. SC will still lose at least twice this year bc of their defense.

Why They'll be Good
I could honestly almost copy & paste everything that I did from UGA yesterday, but here goes

• Mike Davis at RB
  • Very good offensive line; one of the best in the country
  • Senior QB with good game experience (although he didn't set the world on fire when he played)

Why they'll be bad
  • Do they have to replace too much on defense?
  • Can their reinforcements on the defensive line help to mask their weakness at the corner?

Schedule Prediction

vs. Texas A&M - W
vs. East Carolina - W
vs. Georgia - W
@ Vandy - W
vs. Mizzou - W
@ Kentucky - W
vs. Furman - W
@ Auburn - W
vs. Tennessee - W
@ Florida - W
vs. South Alabama - W
@ Clemson - L

Summary -

Again, many of the same things I said about UGA yesterday, I can say about South Carolina. However, studying them more closely, they could very well start 1-2. Will their defensive line and corners mature faster than A&M's QB and WRs? If not, they could REALLY take that L in the first game. And as said yesterday, the game vs. Georgia could settle East early on. I give them the edge simply because they're playing at home. And I also have them losing to Clemson in their last regular season game for that same reason (Clemson playing at home).

All in all, as goes Mike Davis & Dylan Thompson, so goes the Gamecocks in 2014. I personally have them going 11-1 and in the SEC Championship game vs. Bama. Your thoughts?
This is something that I have been wanting ever since they beat us in 2010. I think they'll lose one more, maybe to Auburn, but it is a toss up. Bama beats them in the SECCG.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
South Carolina goes 10-2 yet somehow doesn't win the East again. Seems like the thing to say after the last few seasons.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
The ole ball coach will come out throwing the ball and visor. SC will still lose at least twice this year bc of their defense.
This. Lot of posts questioning the passing game and hanging the offense on Davis, but USC has a very good and talented and deep WR corp returning and a very good pass-blocking OL. Thompson is a better passer than Shaw, but not nearly as good a runner. I expect the offense to be fine and to be well balanced.

Defense is the concern. Spurrier has put together back-to-back-to-back good seasons using very good defensive play, particularly DL and CB play (check NFL rosters if you question this). However, those two areas are a concern this year. LB corp and safeties should be good, but will be expected to cary the D. I look for USC to score more and give up more points this season than in recent year. Defense wins in the SEC, and for that reason I see 2 or 3 losses for USC - though I hope the OP is wrong about clemson.

Probably the game that is the most concern is at auburn. For whatever reason the aubies have had Spurrier's number, even when he was at Florida. His teams simply do not play well against them, and auburn should be good, so them on the road will be tough. Wild cards are Florida and Mizzou. If they are as bad as some are hoping, USC could sneak in with 11-1 or 10-2, but if one or both of those teams turn out to be really good then USC might be looking at 9 wins.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.