Bo Pelini suggests Ole Miss dirty in its recruiting tactics

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Bo Pelini will be fired. Ole Miss will be investigated at some point in the near future.. will anyone ever be implicated? I doubt it.
Ole Miss caught my attention with their recuiting class and I still can't figure that out. I don't think anyone knows how they did it. how you can have number 1 recuiting class and still not do well on the field.
I don't think any school will ever be put on major probation for recruiting violations ever again, AU gave everyone the blueprint on how to beat the NCAA. Lawyer up and play dumb then the NCAA can't touch you.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ole Miss' heralded 2013 class is the one that raised so many eyebrows. Of their 27 signees, over 10 did not commit to them until January or February. That's not really uncommon. Until you look at who the players were and consider the happenings of a well to do Ole Miss booster at that time.

Let's examine it:

Prior to January 2013, Ole Miss had four commits rated as 4* by Rivals. One was a QB from Jackson Prep in Jackson, and another was a RB from Memphis. The other two were JUCO guys (Nick Brassell - previously kicked off team at Ole Miss, and Lavon Hooks).

In December 2012, Ole Miss booster Dickie Scruggs was freed from prison after appealing a ruling to the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Here's a 2007 Wall-Street Journal piece about Scruggs legal issues. Here's the relation to Ole Miss:

It's no surprise that Oxford is rallying to Mr. Scruggs's defense. Oxford and the university have benefited immensely from the success of Mr. Scruggs, an alumnus of the "Ole Miss" law school. A music building at the university bears the names of Mr. and Mrs. Scruggs. In 1998 the couple pledged $25 million to help raise salaries of liberal-arts professors.

Mr. Scruggs moved to Oxford four years ago from the Gulf Coast town of Pascagoula, Miss. He earned hundreds of millions of dollars representing state attorneys general in a landmark, $206 billion settlement struck with tobacco companies in 1998. More recently, he has played a leading role in battling the insurance industry since Hurricane Katrina devastated Mississippi's coastline in 2005. The home he kept in Pascagoula was destroyed in the storm, along with the home of his brother-in-law, former Senate Republican leader Trent Lott, who is retiring from the Senate.
Going back to the recruiting class after December, these are the players that committed/signed.

Kailo Moore (4*)
Laquon Treadwell (5*)
Quincy Adeboyejo (4*)
Jordan Wilkins (4*)
Herbert Moore (3*)
David Kamara (3*)
Robert Nkemdiche (5*)
Marcus Robinson (3*)
Laremy Tunsil (5*)
Arshad Jackson (3*)
Austin Golson (4*)
Antonio Conner (4*)

Tunsil's recruitment was focused on three teams - Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. All of a sudden, he takes a trip to Oxford and decides that is the place for him.

Laquon Treadwell tweeted the below picture (we can't get too carried away since Dee Liner did the same).

Austin Golson was a FSU commit for over a year. He decides to flip to Ole Miss late in the process.

Antonio "Tony" Conner was seen as Bama's for months, but many expected his signature to be a tough pull out of South Panola.

Robert Nkemdiche originally committed to Clemson in the summer. He then decides he wants to reopen his commitment. He ends up signing with Ole Miss where his brother plays. However, word begins to spread that their father was offered a position at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.

What attracts all those stars to a place with very little history, especially recent history, like Ole Miss coached by a guy entering his third season of FBS coaching with an overall record of 17-8?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was referring to Tunsil, but I thought he never visited the campus. Perhaps I was wrong.
He took a visit to Oxford on either January 18 or 25. Link

The Bulldogs seemed to be leading for Tunsil with the Tide a few steps behind. But after Tunsil visited Oxford on Jan 25, everything changed. Tunsil and his family visited Oxford and came away highly impressed.
Reason I say "either or:"

Tunsil visited Alabama on Jan. 11 and Georgia on Jan. 25. Tunsil signing with the Rebels doesn’t come as a huge surprise now. Yet, a week ago Bulldog fans were convinced he’d spend the next four years in Athens.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I remember I think when Shula was our HC there was a recruit we were in the hunt for & then on Signing Day, he tweeted something like, "There's Millionaires In My House" & he magically signed with Ole Miss or it coud've been with Miss St..Pretty sure it was with Ole Miss though..

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I wouldn't get upset Ole Sis, Pelini makes disparaging remarks about his own fan base. No one pays him any attention. The man is lucky to have a job.

Of course, the insinuation is dead on........allegedly!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Pelini is just mad that he was the coach that had to deal with "we are going to run through the big 10 because we are Nebraska " expectations that the delusional fan base constantly dishes out. think the problem with Pelini is that he can't decide if he wants to stay and put up with the crazies or leave and be a D2 coach or a coordinator.

Last edited:

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Yeah we all know that OM has its share of ambulance chasing lawyers throwing money around.

Regardless, BP is really a despicable person.

"Even after signing scholarship papers to Nebraska, things changed for Stringfellow later in June. He took an official visit to Ole Miss with his mother and officially made his pledge to play for the Rebels on June 20.

Pelini wasn’t pleased with the way things transpired.

“Read between the lines,” Pelini said, per the Omaha World-Herald. “I think we all know what happened in that situation.”

In the world of college football, Pelini’s “read between the lines” comment like that can be perceived to mean a bevy of different things. I won’t put words into Pelini’s mouth, and, in a follow-up question, a reporter asked Pelini if it was frustrating if a parent gets too involved in a player's recruitment.

The coach replied: “Yeah. And especially when it’s a clueless parent.”

BP must prefer the boogs way of getting the recruit alone and take advantage of youthful ignorance and naivety to get them to sign.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Bo Pelini will be fired. Ole Miss will be investigated at some point in the near future.. will anyone ever be implicated? I doubt it.
Ole Miss caught my attention with their recuiting class and I still can't figure that out. I don't think anyone knows how they did it. how you can have number 1 recuiting class and still not do well on the field.
It's one thing to be a good recruiter, another thing to be a recruiter offering $ and still yet another to be a good football coach. ;) So far, how many of these newer SEC stud coaches from the last 10 years or so have been reputed to be great recruiters yet can't field a contending team?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So Nebraska has fallen so far from the nation's elite that it's head coach is compelled to comment about a mid-level at best SEC team? That's a bigger commentary on Nebraska than it ever will be about Ole Miss.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Does anybody else remember when Joe McKnight had Ole Miss in his final 3 schools of interest?? I've always thought that was shady. CEO IMO had to of been playing his players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.