Bo Pelini suggests Ole Miss dirty in its recruiting tactics

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Two years ago they signed the number one rated offensive tackle in the nation.
After an extensive recruiting process he had narrowed his choices to Bama and LSU.
He never visited Ole Miss.
On national signing day he signed with the Rebels. Hmmmm?
I know an Ole Miss grad who is an Orthaepedic Surgeon here in O.S..
I said, "Wow, you guys got the best O-Tackle prospect in America".
His reply, "Yeah, which means we're going to be on probation, sooner than later".
I'm not saying nuthin at this point.
sip

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Sure it's no time before ole Hugh fires back with a smart 'aleck' comment of his own.

Last edited by a moderator:

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
If you can't prove it, don't say it. Pelini is an emotional shipwreck. That being said, at least, it's one middle tier program calling out another. Seems like a fair fight.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Two years ago they signed the number one rated offensive tackle in the nation.
After an extensive recruiting process he had narrowed his choices to Bama and LSU.
He never visited Ole Miss.
On national signing day he signed with the Rebels. Hmmmm?
I know an Ole Miss grad who is an Orthaepedic Surgeon here in O.S..
I said, "Wow, you guys got the best O-Tackle prospect in America".
His reply, "Yeah, which means we're going to be on probation, sooner than later".
I'm not saying nuthin at this point.
sip

When I worked for Harrah's Entertainment one of the VP's was an Ole Miss graduate. That recruit's mom you're talking about allegedly received $10K and some door prizes. Was the guy's last name Massey or something like that? This VP said "It cost us $10K and some "door prizes". Was he kidding? I'm not sure. But he sure as heck didn't sound like it.

Edit: No, this was longer than two years ago that this happened.

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
When I worked for Harrah's Entertainment one of the VP's was an Ole Miss graduate. That recruit's mom you're talking about allegedly received $10K and some door prizes. Was the guy's last name Massey or something like that? This VP said "It cost us $10K and some "door prizes". Was he kidding? I'm not sure. But he sure as heck didn't sound like it.
Michael Oher just kidding. I believe it was Massey.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ole Miss landed their best recruiting class ever, leaving even their coach kind of dumbfounded to explain it. Basically, towards the end there you knew if someone was undecided, and being recruited by Ole Miss, there was a good chance they'd end up there. They were getting guys Alabama wanted, now just think about that for a bit.

It was more than obvious what was going on there, this wasn't like Massey which left you scratching your head. This was a series of head scratches that reached the point that there was no need to even be confused or wonder what was going on. I guess they figured that if Auburn was getting away with it, they might as well give it a shot, but I'm not sure I've seen a series of more obvious buys than what Ole Miss did.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
What's more surprising to me is that Nebraska has kept Pelini as long as they have..They can & should do much better than what Pelini has done there..It's a shame cause I've always have had lots of respect for the Cornhuskers..I hope they give him the boot after this year & hire them a better HC than Pelini..

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
During the 2000's, Big 12 programs made several hires from SEC coordinators that were odd.

Texas pulled Cheezit from the barn after the 2004 season, he was part of their BCSNC in 05, and then he left after the 06 season to take over at Iowa State.
Will Muschamp was the DC at the barn during the 06-07 seasons and then took over the DC position at Texas for the 08 season.
Bo Pelini had come from the Big 12 to take the DC posltion at LSU and then returned to the Big 12 as the Nebraska HC for the 08 season.

Chizik was a total failure at Iowa State, which obviously made him highly-sought for the barn's HC position when Tubberville left.
Muschamp hung around Texas like a vulture in-waiting for Mack to bow out, finally got tired of waiting for the carrion, and took the HC at Florida after Urban's gut exploded from being processed badly in two straight years. Things aren't looking great for him right now.
Pelini's not a fan favorite either after his publicized tirade and several mediocre seasons.

Bob Stoops was hired in 1999 from his DC position under Spurrier at UF and has been very successful at OU, even though he only has the one NC. Multiple other hires of coordinators and head coaches from the SEC followed and most of them ended in failure for those Big 12 teams. Franchione slithered out of Alabama to much fanfare in College Station, took one of the worst shellackings of modern history from the Sooners, embodied the term mediocre while at aTm, and then disgraced the program with his exclusive newsletter scheme. Tubberville came to Texas Tech after Craig James buried a slaughtered hooker and Mike Leach, had a decent record there, but bolted for Cincinnati a couple of years ago. Charlie Weis was hired just a couple of years ago after a one-year stint as Florida's OC and although he fits Mangino's leftover wardrobe nicely, he hasn't provided much of a decided schematic advantage for the JayHawks. Add these cases to those mentioned above and it's no wonder that the Big 12 doesn't like the SEC. Coaches that do well in the SEC go to die in the Big 12 in most cases.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know you shouldn't judge a fellow by his looks, but BP has always looked like he was a couple of sandwhiches short of a picnic. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.