Link: Stephen A Smith suspended by ESPN

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He shouldn't have been suspended. They should have brought Michelle Beadle (the one who went off on a rant on Twitter about his comments) on and allowed her to face him on live tv.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Yes, you should never hit a woman. But that doesn't give women carte blanche to do whatever they feel like. That respect cuts both ways. And that's not just an ideal, it's just common sense, because the history of violence against women demonstrates that not everyone has bought in to that ideal.

Furthermore, pointing out that women shouldn't do stupid things that might provoke an attack is not in any way misogynistic; similarly, saying that you shouldn't walk along through the ghetto at night flashing a wad of cash isn't racist--it's just common sense.

I get what he was trying to say, but good Lord, he expressed himself poorly. That's what happens when your job stresses being inflammatory rather than being articulate. His point might have worked better if we had a better idea of what happened in the elevator. It also didn't help matters that there have been a string of sports-related sexual assaults--a crime in which the typical defense strategy is to attack the victim.

As a professional commentator, he should have had sense enough to phrase his remarks more carefully; he didn't, and so he's paying the price.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Granted I'm not for hitting a woman but as someone has mention that same respect cuts both ways. I don't think it needs to be accepted that it is "okay" for a woman to haul off and physically punch or attack a man and he just sit there and take it. Because I'm here to tell you, there are some women who if you let them, have the ability to beat you down and seriously hurt you. Don't believe me, go to youtube and pull up some ghetto fights with women involved and tell me if you were in that same position that you wouldn't have to somehow defend yourself.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Granted I'm not for hitting a woman but as someone has mention that same respect cuts both ways. I don't think it needs to be accepted that it is "okay" for a woman to haul off and physically punch or attack a man and he just sit there and take it. Because I'm here to tell you, there are some women who if you let them, have the ability to beat you down and seriously hurt you. Don't believe me, go to youtube and pull up some ghetto fights with women involved and tell me if you were in that same position that you wouldn't have to somehow defend yourself.
My wife knows judo and has sharp elbows. Just sayin'.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
This is why you can't talk to Auburn fans.....

Rice "works" more than 16 days a year....he just is getting fined 1/8 of his check.

He's not banned from practicing, wearing his jersey, doing interviews, etc.
Well, I did admit I was being pedantic in my prior post, but I don't think there's any question that Rice's suspension is more severe concerning value of time lost.

Smith is not allowed on the air for a week...for answering a question he was asked honestly.

Smith didn't hit the gal. Smith didn't laugh, cheer, or support the abuse. He simply said that we should learn more about what provoked the abuse, before passing judgement on Rice and The Commish.
He may have been making a fair point, but he communicated it very poorly. It's one of those subjects where one must choose their words carefully. On the first listen (and the subsequent rant on twitter), I did think he dove headlong into victim blaming, but hearing it again did help me to understand his point. I forget where I read the comparison, but someone likened it to going for a jog at night wearing all black and getting run over by a drunk driver.

Besides my favorite numbers are 15 and 2.....are those better numbers?
That's cool. Good luck this season!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Well, I did admit I was being pedantic in my prior post, but I don't think there's any question that Rice's suspension is more severe concerning value of time lost.!
Of course Rice's is more severe..... It should be. But Smith was suspended for a comment.....that's insane. It wasn't a destructive comment.

I agree you NEVER hit a woman -- BUT -- crazy women can really hurt you if they want to.....and without knowing what provoked the response -- it's hard to gauge how severe the penalty should be.

If you found out that it was an accident, and he was reaching to calm her down and she reacted and hit her head ....would that rate a different penalty as him giving her an uppercut and breaking her jaw? I think Smith was just saying -- before we all freak out -- let's find out what happened first.....so we can then analyze whether the penalty fit the situation.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I guess I am in the minority, cause I kinda like Stephen A. He is at least opposed to all the idiotic rants of Skip . Plus, he very Pro Bama and Very Pro Saban, going to the point of saying at times 'my Crimson Tide'.

I saw Beadle on sports Nation the other day, talking about this with Marcellus Wylie. She was about to blow a gasket because he was taking a similar stance as Stephen A. I mean to the point that it seemed personal for her.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.