American Athletic Conference wanting to roll with the big dogs

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Anybody see that conference today on ESPN U where the commish from the AAC was reading his statement about that he believed his conference the American Athletic Conference belonged in the discussion of "Autonomy" with the big 5 conferences? This conference has teams like Tulane, East Carolina, and Tulsa. Also some of these teams went to a bowl last year. I remember Tulsa playing in some bowl I don't remember. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting any of these teams down, but does the AAC really think that they are a power conference? Because that was the impression that I was getting from his statement today. He was almost in a ticked off mood while he was speaking. It was kind of humorous. I don't recall everything he said, and I don't have team stats and all that jazz. But these are teams that we schedule OOC aren't they? Once again I'm not putting them down, but I just don't believe they could really believe they should "roll with the big dogs"...I may be wrong. JMO..Thoughts?:conf3:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Money is a BIG part of it; but there are always going to be smaller programs who have nice, extended runs. Southern Miss had a nice, long run where they were consistently ranked and always competitive. Of course there's Boise; and you saw Memphis do it in basketball. If you have the right coaching staff, you can be a player.

To add to it, last season, the AAC had as many teams ranked in the final top 15 (2) as as four of the Power Five leagues (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten and Pac-12). And . . . it's champion - UCF - beat the Big 12 Champ in the Fiesta Bowl.

I have no idea whether the AAC can sustain it (I actually doubt it); but, right now, they ARE running with the big dogs.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.