Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
Saw this on Twitter this morning. This doesn't sound good:

Follow

Michael Carvell
‏@Carvell_AJC

Heard #Bama QB battle is dividing team. Many players support Blake Sims, while Jacob Coker is superior talent

Anybody heard something like this?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Has practice started and I missed it? I'm not too worried about a divided team when the team hasn't gone through a single practice session yet.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I think this always seem to come up when there isn't a QB that is coming back with a proven track record. There seems to be respect for both of the QB's from tweets that have been posted on tidefans. It will all work its way out during August.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I always take anything from the AJC with a BIG grain of salt. Those guys do just about everything they can to try to put us down.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
We have all "heard" a lot of things, but just because some guy from the AJC heard it doesn't necessarily make it so.

I guess I'll wait to hear something official after practice starts on Friday before I start to worry. I'm sure there is some loyalty to Blake simply because of how long he has been in the program, but I can't imagine our players would support a player with less potential to lead them to the SEC championship.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think this is an issue. Lot of players have tremedous respects for Coker and Sims, and said that both are capable of leading the team this opener. I don't think it is necessary a bad thing, because it is a healthy compeitition and both QBs supports each other. They have worked out together all summer long, learning from each other. This is why Saban has said it over and over that it is an open compeititions and may the beset QB win. I think some people read into things little more than it should be. Lot of players support Sims because he waited long time for his shot and made best of his opportunities. Coker coming in a diffcult situation and that's why He has been letting Sims taking the lead this summer.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The question I would have is whether there is a difference of opinion on the team as to which QB is the better player/leader, thus affording the best chance to win. It`s hard for me to fathom a division of this team, any team for that matter, based on one group believing a player should start simply "because he`s been here longer".

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
My sister is very close to several of the players and knows Jacob on a texting basis (kids these days). To give you an idea of how close, she talks to two offensive starters multiple times a day and her best friend is engaged to one of them. They were also with her in New Orleans two weeks ago for her 21st birthday.

She laughed when I asked her about this. She said that Jacob and Blake are currently roommates with two other players. Also, Jacob spent the 4th of July with my sister and 3 offensive starters (2 of them at the skill positions). She said if there is a divide, they sure are hiding it well. She's dog sitting one of the player's dog (affectionately named Saban) right now, and said she will tell him about this tweet later today when he picks up the dog.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My sister is very close to several of the players and knows Jacob on a texting basis (kids these days). To give you an idea of how close, she talks to two offensive starters multiple times a day and her best friend is engaged to one of them. They were also with her in New Orleans two weeks ago for her 21st birthday.

She laughed when I asked her about this. She said that Jacob and Blake are currently roommates with two other players. Also, Jacob spent the 4th of July with my sister and 3 offensive starters (2 of them at the skill positions). She said if there is a divide, they sure are hiding it well. She's dog sitting one of the player's dog (affectionately named Saban) right now, and said she will tell him about this tweet later today when he picks up the dog.
I'd say your info is better than this "rumor."

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
I heard that Carvell and the AJC hates Alabama. Now, that may not be true, but that's what I've heard. I'd seriously doubt this guy has a source inside the Alabama program. Anybody can say anything, even if it's true or not.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
On a related note, I heard the tale end of a call to Jox this morning questioning Bama's recruiting of quarterbacks in recent years. I wasn't sure what the point was, but the caller sounded super misinformed. I thought he claimed that Blake Sims was a highly recruited qb out of HS and questioned why guys like him (basically dual threat qbs) would continue to come to Bama when they never see the field.

But IIRC, Blake Sims was actually recruited as an athlete and actually started out as a defensive back.

Did anybody else here the entire call? It sounded like he was trying to take Jay Barker to task about Bama recruiting quarterbacks.

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
I'd say your info is better than this "rumor."
Of course, there could be a few of the players that might not like the eventual decision. It's certainly not influencing the teams focus and preparation at this point, however. She just followed up with a text that said Jacob told her that he didn't even know how it would work out. There were NO guarantees when he transferred to Alabama. He also told her that it looks like both will play, regardless of the named starter.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I read some comments on a reputable Bama site - which appeared to come from knowledgeable fans, regarding this guy, three of which stated:

"Carvell is the mouthpiece for the AJC recruiting and a Dawg pumper."

"Carvell is another Saban hater who is trying to stir up a controversy where one doesn't exist. The man knows nothing about Alabama football."

"Carvell loves to carry the water for Rev Richt. That's all they can do at this point. The UGA fanbase and the cow college are much alike."

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
On a related note, I heard the tale end of a call to Jox this morning questioning Bama's recruiting of quarterbacks in recent years. I wasn't sure what the point was, but the caller sounded super misinformed. I thought he claimed that Blake Sims was a highly recruited qb out of HS and questioned why guys like him (basically dual threat qbs) would continue to come to Bama when they never see the field.

But IIRC, Blake Sims was actually recruited as an athlete and actually started out as a defensive back.

Did anybody else here the entire call? It sounded like he was trying to take Jay Barker to task about Bama recruiting quarterbacks.
I am not sure about the DB part. But you are correct he was recruited as an athlete. Seems like I also remember that Blake flipped his commitment to another program at some point. I also seem to remember that he later flipped again back to us and CNS was willing to honor their initial scholarship offering to him primarily because Blake was a high character guy.

Once he got here I thought he redshirted then started working in the RB rotation was but wasnt going to be able to break ahead of Ingram and Richardson. I think the Phillip Sims transfer precipitated his move to QB to shore up depth there.

Needless to say, I think it is a testament to Blake's work ethic and character that he is even in the discussion as possible starting QB for us at this point. Because, quite frankly, he was never in any initial plan for the QB rotation.

Honestly, he should have probably started on defense. Given how depth and injury has beset our secondary, he likely would at worst be considered a regular role player for us over there. Its just too late to make that transition now.

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
Sims is a team player and is well liked by team members. Coker is winning over the receivers by his accurate, long throwing ability. Others are sitting by just watching the battle. To me, it is nothing to get excited about, no division, just human nature. Coker needs to prove his decision making to be a clear cut winner, he has all the tools.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I heard that Carvell and the AJC hates Alabama. Now, that may not be true, but that's what I've heard. I'd seriously doubt this guy has a source inside the Alabama program. Anybody can say anything, even if it's true or not.
If you read it on the Internet then it's true. I read that on the Internet.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.