QB battle dividing the team?

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Furman Bisher, the late writer for the AJC once wrote an article for the Saturday Evening Post accusing Coach Bryant and Georgia coach Wally Butts of fixing the outcome of the Georgia-Alabama game.
Coach Bryant sued big time and won a huge award. The Saturday Evening Post eventually declared bankruptcy, and Butts was forced out as Georgia Athletic Director.
The AJC, seemingly, has been after us ever since for some dumb reason.
sip
Thanks sip! This is the kind of thing that I come here for. I learn so much from you guys here with little to offer in return but my "Roll Tide!"

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
It is almost time to hit the field with a game coming up in a month. No better time than to try and start distractions I guess.I got a feeling this team will be hungry like the 2009 team and little pointless distractions are not going to be given a second thought. I think they are more concerned on how they looked in the last two games and how they can avoid that this year.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I have never seen so many preseason criticisms of a team as I have this summer on Alabama. Either there are a lot of people concerned for Bama's well being or the team is going to be crazy good and they are extremely worried. Some of the comments and questions are bordering on paranoia and psychosis (or maybe just plain lies). It's nice to be The King of CFB.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
We'll the team actually is divided. We have offense, and we have defense. Maybe that's what he meant. Of course , special teams are not divided.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Certainly the team is somewhat divided in its sentiments now. That's perfectly natural. I haven't heard anything which indicates that it's pathological. I think Coker will start but Sims will get substantial minutes with a package Kiffin is designing for his talents. I wouldn't envy opposing DCs, particularly if we run Blake's package HUNH...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Certainly the team is somewhat divided in its sentiments now. That's perfectly natural. I haven't heard anything which indicates that it's pathological. I think Coker will start but Sims will get substantial minutes with a package Kiffin is designing for his talents. I wouldn't envy opposing DCs, particularly if we run Blake's package HUNH...
I feel like this might be a method we use in the red zone from time to time.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
There is not now nor will there be any dissension between JC and BS. JMO, but I base it on BS's sidelines demeanor. Every shot of him shows a guy that's really a team guy, a guy that is pulling for everyone, regardless of position. No one celebrated big plays by AJ more than Sims.

Also JMO, but I'm thinking that he knows that if he has a future in football, it will be as a coach, not as a player and where better to learn than from the generally acknowledged best in the game? Plus as previously mentioned, I believe BS is gonna get meaningful PT this season and not just in a mop-up role, I'm convinced that Coach Saban is gonna be a man on a mission this season and will be willing to use ALL his weapons.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
Phil Savage was on the OD last week and he said he would not be surprised if we have a zone read package installed with Sims. I think it would be a smart idea because we have ran the wildcat some with Mark and Trent. You put a guy back there that can throw it and it is hard to stop. Also it makes teams take time in practice to work on stopping us. ...
Yes, that will certainly give the other teams much more to prepare for. Sims has run the zone read the past couple of seasons. He ran for a TD against Arkansas with it. But his chances has been limited to when we're not in a run the clock mode.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yes, that will certainly give the other teams much more to prepare for. Sims has run the zone read the past couple of seasons. He ran for a TD against Arkansas with it. But his chances has been limited to when we're not in a run the clock mode.
Me and my college roomie at Bama were having a beer the other night, and discussing the offense.
Understand, we were at Bama during the Bryant wishbone era.
Our thoughts? Or his question---"Can you imagine us coming out and lining up in the wishbone with Sims at QB, Fowler at fullback, Yeldon and Henry at the running backs"?
I was like, "Man that would be tough to stop".
He was like, "Yeahhh, who are they gonna key on?"
Good point.
In a goal line situation, that might be an idea for Coach S. to consider.
sip

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

The embed is screwy, but if you go to 2:11:35 there's the TD run. Very impressive.

Last edited:

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
If you watch the replay around minute 211 you will notice that the graphic at the top of the screen credits Ha-Ha Clinton Dix with two rushes, one for a TD! I understand they were both number 6 but that is just bad. Most of the time Sims has come into the game it was to sit on a lead. He has never really been able to show what he can do. I am hoping we use both quarterbacks for four or five games until our staff can decide what direction to take the offense this season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.