My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

****2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #26 - P/K , J.K. Scott****

Scouting Report
    During his senior campaign, he had 39 punts averaging 47.1 yards per punt with a long of 63. Fifteen punts were downed inside the 20. Fourteen of them were 50+ yards.
    Scott is already considered the nation’s best punter, but he may very well get a long look as the Crimson Tide’s place-kicker in the fall should the struggles of Adam Griffith continue. His success rate was only 50% on field goals in 2013, but almost every attempt was from 50+ yards. Scott’s long make for the season was from 50 yards

BigEasyTider's Take
    A bit of a head-scratcher take at an initial glance, but then you see our punting issues this past Spring and you see why this happened. UA hasn't been able to develop a quality walk-on punting program, and needing to spend a scholarship, the good news is that Scott is widely considered one of the top prep punters in the country. His punting stats should be taken with a tiny grain of salt given the altitude he played in, but he clearly has some pretty serious leg drive. The real concern here is less with Scott in particular and more with our inability to evaluate kicker/punter prospects, so the fear is that Scott ends up as Jay Williams: Part II. If he is reasonably competent, though, he is the starting punter this fall.

Second question: Can he handle placekicking duties? He will certainly get a look at both, given Adam Griffith's ongoing struggles. That said, he was largely erratic in high school, so it's hard to see him doing much in the short-term at placekicker, though he may be able to handle kick-offs. Moving forward, his lengthy frame certainly makes it tough on him as a placekicker, just because the mechanics are a bit tougher with the added length. I generally tend to view him as a punter-only prospect. Maybe we get some mileage out of him on kick-offs, but I don't think you'll ever see him as a real contributor on field goal tries.

runtheoption22's Take

WMack4Bama's Take
    Without question, he's going to play this season. I don't know that you use a scholarship on a punter unless you plan to use him for 4 years. Alec Morris looked "not bad" in the spring at punter, but if Scott is the real deal, AS A PUNTER we need him to flip the field for us, make life easier for our defense, and to take pressure off of inexperienced QB on offense.
    As a kicker, all we need is consistency. Having an NFL caliber kicker would be superb, but what we need more than anything is someone to make anything from 40 yards in an automatic 3. If Scott can provide that, I'm all for it. I do think, however, that Griffith will be our answer.
    One other thing to keep in mind about these great numbers from Scott, look at where he's from..the thin air in the Denver area is conducive for a ton of homeruns in baseball and big time kicks in football (3 of the 5 longest FGs ever made in NFL history were IN DENVER). Hopefully, Scott lives up to his billing. We'll find out very soon in Atlanta vs. West Va.
    Last edited by BigEasyTider; July 28th, 2014 at 11:08 AM.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: ***2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #26 - P/K , J.K. Scott

Since he's a punter, does he get a NARCAS score? Since it's highly likely he's starting somewhere for us, is he ranked at the bottom because of the position or because a lack of score?

Despite his position, it definitely looks like he will be a significant contributor in our team this year.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    Since he's a punter, does he get a NARCAS score? Since it's highly likely he's starting somewhere for us, is he ranked at the bottom because of the position or because a lack of score?

Despite his position, it definitely looks like he will be a significant contributor in our team this year.
    I have no clue what NARCAS is or how it's calcuated. That's Jess's lane. He has an article up with NARCAS scores on the football board I believe.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-American

Kicking the ball 71 yds is impressive even if it is in Denver. We sure would have liked to have that 58 yd kick last year. I think Griffith will solidify the duties as kicker. But it is nice to have a punter and backup kicker in one person.
    I would like to see Alec Morris get some action this year as the punter, maybe a fake punt or 2.

News|BB|FB|Rec Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

bump

BamaNation All-American

47.1 yard average is awesome!

I really don't think that Colorado's altitude makes that much difference.

We shall see!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think he'll be our punter by the end of August.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    I think he'll be our punter by the end of August.
    I got a gut feeling he may be the punter at the beginning of August

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: ****2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #26 - P/K , J.K. Scott****

He enrolled at Bama on 5/25/14. He's been our punter since then

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    He enrolled at Bama on 5/25/14. He's been our punter since then
    I agree that is pretty much what I was getting at above.