Question: How many official visits are allowed at each university?

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
I read something in a post on the football board that mentioned the lack of official visits at SEC schools (some coach in another conference was complaining about the SEC again).

Now, I understand each recruit is allowed to take up to 5 official visits and as many unofficial visits as they want. But is each school only allowed to extend a certain number of official visits each recruiting cycle? And is this number different in each conference? Who sets the rules concerning this....NCAA or each conference?

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Good question. I don't have a clue, but for official visits, since they're pretty expensive, I think most places can only entertain what their budget allows. We may be an exception like Texas or Notre Dame with our budgets.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Each school gets 56 official visits per year as a general rule, though schools with a new head coach are allowed an additional 14 official visits (i.e. 70 total). You can also roll over to the next year up to 6 official visits, provided that they weren't used the year before (for example, you use only 50 this season, you can use 62 the following season).

As for the message board / coach complaining, I don't know what that is about, because the above is directly in the NCAA by-laws and has nothing to do with conference membership or affiliation. I suppose the actual complaint was the prevalence of unofficial visits in the SEC, which is legitimate, but frankly it's not our fault we as a conference routinely have fierce games played in incredibly entertaining venues in ideal weather conditions. Shouldn't be much of a surprise that fewer people are jumping the gun to go freeze at the 11:00 a.m. Michigan v. Illinois game.

Last edited:

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Each school gets 56 official visits per year as a general rule, though schools with a new head coach are allowed an additional 14 official visits (i.e. 70 total). You can also roll over to the next year up to 6 official visits, provided that they weren't used the year before (for example, you use only 50 this season, you can use 62 the following season).

As for the message board / coach complaining, I don't know what that is about, because the above is directly in the NCAA by-laws and has nothing to do with conference membership or affiliation. I suppose the actual complaint was the prevalence of unofficial visits in the SEC, which is legitimate, but frankly it's not our fault we as a conference routinely have fierce games played in incredibly entertaining venues in ideal weather conditions. Shouldn't be much of a surprise that fewer people are jumping the gun to go freeze at the 11:00 a.m. Michigan v. Illinois game.
is there a limit to how many official visits a particular school is able to provide to a single prospect? in other words, if someone wanted to take all 5 of their official visits to UA, would they be able to do so or can only 1 be used on each prospect?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.