BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

How many official visits are allowed at each university?

I read something in a post on the football board that mentioned the lack of official visits at SEC schools (some coach in another conference was complaining about the SEC again).

Now, I understand each recruit is allowed to take up to 5 official visits and as many unofficial visits as they want. But is each school only allowed to extend a certain number of official visits each recruiting cycle? And is this number different in each conference? Who sets the rules concerning this....NCAA or each conference?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: How many official visits are allowed at each university?

Good question. I don't have a clue, but for official visits, since they're pretty expensive, I think most places can only entertain what their budget allows. We may be an exception like Texas or Notre Dame with our budgets.

BamaNation All-American

The barn spends more money on unofficial vi$it$...............

FB | REC Moderator

Each school gets 56 official visits per year as a general rule, though schools with a new head coach are allowed an additional 14 official visits (i.e. 70 total). You can also roll over to the next year up to 6 official visits, provided that they weren't used the year before (for example, you use only 50 this season, you can use 62 the following season).

As for the message board / coach complaining, I don't know what that is about, because the above is directly in the NCAA by-laws and has nothing to do with conference membership or affiliation. I suppose the actual complaint was the prevalence of unofficial visits in the SEC, which is legitimate, but frankly it's not our fault we as a conference routinely have fierce games played in incredibly entertaining venues in ideal weather conditions. Shouldn't be much of a surprise that fewer people are jumping the gun to go freeze at the 11:00 a.m. Michigan v. Illinois game.
    Last edited by BigEasyTider; August 1st, 2014 at 09:33 AM.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Each school gets 56 official visits per year as a general rule, though schools with a new head coach are allowed an additional 14 official visits (i.e. 70 total). You can also roll over to the next year up to 6 official visits, provided that they weren't used the year before (for example, you use only 50 this season, you can use 62 the following season).

As for the message board / coach complaining, I don't know what that is about, because the above is directly in the NCAA by-laws and has nothing to do with conference membership or affiliation. I suppose the actual complaint was the prevalence of unofficial visits in the SEC, which is legitimate, but frankly it's not our fault we as a conference routinely have fierce games played in incredibly entertaining venues in ideal weather conditions. Shouldn't be much of a surprise that fewer people are jumping the gun to go freeze at the 11:00 a.m. Michigan v. Illinois game.
    is there a limit to how many official visits a particular school is able to provide to a single prospect? in other words, if someone wanted to take all 5 of their official visits to UA, would they be able to do so or can only 1 be used on each prospect?
    "If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm." ~Vince Lombardi

"Anthony Grant could've beaten us tonight by 80," he said. "The fact that he beat us by 40 was a class act, and I appreciate that." ~ Toldeo head basketball coach Tod Kowalczyk after an 83 - 41 loss to Alabama on 1/3/11