Do we have a team or just players

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
That is my question going into fall camp. I know we have talent, we've recruited with the best if not flat out the best. We had way more talent than Auburn last year but they are the ones who went to Atlanta. As we enter fall camp the questions I have about this team are more about how they come together in the wake of having their superman cape ripped off by Auburn and stomped on by Oklahoma.

How will this team respond defensively after someone goes through them for a score? Will the offence respond with poise when we are behind? Will they let up with a lead or keep playing for 60 minutes? Are they going to be "one" in the locker room or a bunch of guys? The players always say the right things to the reporters and Saban doesn't always tell reporters the truth when he doesn't like how things are going. All of these things will be revealed in time. Let's hope for the best.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
That is my question going into fall camp. I know we have talent, we've recruited with the best if not flat out the best. We had way more talent than Auburn last year but they are the ones who went to Atlanta. As we enter fall camp the questions I have about this team are more about how they come together in the wake of having their superman cape ripped off by Auburn and stomped on by Oklahoma.

How will this team respond defensively after someone goes through them for a score? Will the offence respond with poise when we are behind? Will they let up with a lead or keep playing for 60 minutes? Are they going to be "one" in the locker room or a bunch of guys? The players always say the right things to the reporters and Saban doesn't always tell reporters the truth when he doesn't like how things are going. All of these things will be revealed in time. Let's hope for the best.
I'm hoping that the team is looking at every opponent on the schedule the same way the 2010 squad looked at Michigan State.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Um, are you depressed about anything else? :D

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Two observations:

1. I am happy to see Auburn in the top five. I hope that everyone fawns over them and tells them how great they are. I hope that the attention breeds a loss of focus and a feeling of entitlement. I think that they are more likely to fail with this attitude than coming from behind with a chip on their shoulder.

2. I read an interesting article recently on a psychological study of all star teams and why they often do not live up to expectations. Apparently an all star team often has a hard time gelling because of all of the impressive egos involved. Teams that are successful often have fewer star talents, letting the ones that are there step up and lead. One example that they gave was the Miami Heat, which succeeded in 2013 with two of their stars out hurt, while failing to win it all when they had all their talent in place. It may be that it is possible to have too much of a good thing with regard to talent as it is with many of the good things in life.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...I read an interesting article recently on a psychological study of all star teams and why they often do not live up to expectations. Apparently an all star team often has a hard time gelling because of all of the impressive egos involved. Teams that are successful often have fewer star talents, letting the ones that are there step up and lead...
Herb Brooks and Mike Eruzione say hi...

pbearbryant

Scout Team
Nov 2, 2007

Saban is the best in the business we were a couple of missed field goals away from playing for 3 NC in a row. No need to over analyze just sit back and watch the best coach the best. RTR

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I am more concerned about the fans than the football team. I am afraid some haven't fully bought into the process.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think the original question is valid. Coach Saban seemed to think last year's squad was missing something, and plenty of long time observers did as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.