Fall Practice Begins and CNS Speaks to the Media

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
No, I don't think the style points will be a factor, because the committee will be looking at the strength of the schedule and the quality of the game. Tha's more important than a fancy offense.
So you believe "style points" will not be a factor for any of the selection committee members?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I think they will try and settle in the scrimmages because this is a new Era with the playoff. Working your way into the playoff is a beauty contest. We simply cannot come out and perform like we did last year on offense.
We averaged 35+ ppg last year. What's the problem with that?

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
So you believe "style points" will not be a factor for any of the selection committee members?
You realize that we probably would have made the playoff last year even after the IB, right? No one cares in December if you had a sluggish game or two in September.

Its not how you start, it's how you finish.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
You realize that we probably would have made the playoff last year even after the IB, right? No one cares in December if you had a sluggish game or two in September.

Its not how you start, it's how you finish.
I think this is a concern people have with the committee though. We were ranked #3 in the BCS but that's not a 100% guarantee that the committee would have made us the #3 seed especially when that would have resulted in a direct rematch with a #2 seed Auburn.

They just might punish a team severely for a late loss when they Seed a Top 4. I could definitely see a scenario where a #3 or #4 ranked final poll team gets left out when they were #1 or #2 before suffering a final game loss. Kind of how the loser of the SECCG usually gets punished ala UGA in 2012 when Fla jumped them but were not the division winner in the East.

Style points could very well matter. It seems to hurt us anyway when we let off the gas in games. A&M made a big points run on us last year when we momentary eased up and the Auburn thing...well that happened after 21-7 late. It's getting to where you HAVE to just about clobber teams into submission to safely win and impress.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yeah, but it's really the first time we have seen coker for ourselves, and the fans are sorta divided into Team coker and Team Sims which leads to the "I've seen and heard enough to support that he is going to win the job" talk, and the speculation of the teams feeling toward the guys. If y'all had seen and been around aj when he was in high school you would have been like " this kid won't win over the team with his attitude" but he did. I really think it's unfair to speculate where coker stands with the team and how good Blake sims really is at this point without seeing them in a game running kiffins offense
Team Coker has done one day of practice. Team Sims has done five years in "the process".
Blake Sims will be our starting QB against West Virginia.
If not, I will be, not only surprised, but extremely disappointed.
sip

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Team Coker has done one day of practice. Team Sims has done five years in "the process".
Blake Sims will be our starting QB against West Virginia.
If not, I will be, not only surprised, but extremely disappointed.
sip
3 of those years BS was playing running back. Coker has more experience at QB than BS does. Sometimes you talk like we just found Coker outside a Walmart or something. Read what Jimbo and other highly respected NFL scouts have said about JC and his throwing ability. Its not something people on this board are just making up. Conversely, I haven't seen anyone say anything positive publicly about BS ability to play QB, except CNS which is expected. For some reason you seem emotionally invested into BS, which is kind of odd.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
3 of those years BS was playing running back. Coker has more experience at QB than BS does. Sometimes you talk like we just found Coker outside a Walmart or something. Read what Jimbo and other highly respected NFL scouts have said about JC and his throwing ability. Its not something people on this board are just making up...
And he should start because ? Come on! Coker should be our starting quarterback because...he's done what?
C'mon. Answer the question.
sip

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
And he should start because ? Come on! Coker should be our starting quarterback because...he's done what?
C'mon. Answer the question.
sip
Neither have "done" anything. This is about the 10th time we've gone through this diatribe. I'm talking about what highly respected college coaches, NFL coaches, and NFL scouts have had to say about JC throwing ability and overall physical ability. If you are just going to base your opinion on what either of them has "done" then maybe don't post about this topic until there is tangible evidence. I've seen enough of BS from A-day. That disaster was enough for me. So answer my question. Why should a career backup running back be the starting QB at Alabama?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.