Fall Practice Begins and CNS Speaks to the Media

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Team Coker has done one day of practice. Team Sims has done five years in "the process".
Blake Sims will be our starting QB against West Virginia.
If not, I will be, not only surprised, but extremely disappointed.
sip
If a true freshman is better than a Jr. or Sr. at their position, do you have a problem starting a true freshman?

If a transfer Jr. is better than a Sr. at their position, who do you want starting?

You seem to suggest that Sims deserves it.

I always want the better player on the field. Whoever that will be at qb, Sims or Coker or Bateman or Cornwell..just the better player.

Now, if it's truly a 50/50 race at the end of fall camp, I'm good with Sims getting the nod but only if one doesn't pull ahead of the other.

But unless one of those guys either blows the others away in fall camp or one falls on his face and virtually makes it obvious who's that much better, I imagine we'll see some of both Sims and Coker in the opener.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Neither have "done" anything. This is about the 10th time we've gone through this diatribe. I'm talking about what highly respected college coaches, NFL coaches, and NFL scouts have had to say about JC throwing ability and overall physical ability. If you are just going to base your opinion on what either of them has "done" then maybe don't post about this topic until there is tangible evidence. I've seen enough of BS from A-day. That disaster was enough for me.
Well, I guess I'll just have to say that you're wrong and I'm right, and we'll just see what happens.
Would you agree to just wait and see if I'm correct or not?
Deal?
sip

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Blake Sims may look good in practice but has not looked good in any game I've seen him in. It seems that no matter how long he has been in "The Process" the game has just not slowed down for him. I really believe that CNS and LK will put in some plays for Sims to run and I'm good with that. I just don't think Sims should start by default just because he's a 5th yr senior. The best player at the position should start no matter who that may be.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Well, I guess I'll just have to say that you're wrong and I'm right, and we'll just see what happens.
Would you agree to just wait and see if I'm correct or not?
Deal?
sip
I completely disagree with your assertion to start a player based on seniority, for the reasons several other have pointed out. And you're the one who brought this topic up again. I'm fine discussing it because I am not emotionally invested into either one. I don't get heated talking about it. You also didn't answer my question about why you think BS should start, other than he's been at Bama for five years. I answered your question...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Team Coker has done one day of practice. Team Sims has done five years in "the process".
Blake Sims will be our starting QB against West Virginia.
If not, I will be, not only surprised, but extremely disappointed.
sip
I wouldn't be shocked if Sims gets the first shot in the game. But I think we will see more of Coker over the whole game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And he should start because ? Come on! Coker should be our starting quarterback because...he's done what?
C'mon. Answer the question.
sip
And what has sims done besides having one big run against mizzou in 2012 and an underwhelming A day.
You act like loyalty outweighs talent and potential and that anything coker can do in the next 2 weeks won't matter because sims has been with us without a guarenteed .
I don't have an issue with Blake sims starting or reasons he should, but to say that coker shouldn't or you would be disappointed is silly.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I completely disagree with your assertion to start a player based on seniority, for the reasons several other have pointed out. And you're the one who brought this topic up again. I'm fine discussing it because I am not emotionally invested into either one. I don't get heated talking about it. You also didn't answer my question about why you think BS should start, other than he's been at Bama for five years. I answered your question...
I'll just say this. Blake Sims will be our starter for the West Virginia game, and he deserves it.
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
This infatuation with Coker amazes me.
I'm not going to to do another post until the West Virginia game is over.
If I have to eat crow, I will, but I'll take take the chance.
That's it.
Roll Tide, beat the Mountaineers!
sip

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
We averaged 35+ ppg last year. What's the problem with that?
I made my original comment while eating with the fam.

I need clarify and say I mean that we can't look like we did against VaTech against WVU. Sure we looked better offensively as the season went along. But I think this season the committee is going to be looking for dominating performances each week. Sorting out a QB battle on the field even in the first week is not going to do us any favors since coaches and media folks have already started trying to talk down the SEC.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
No one is going to care about a week 1 win against WVU if we take care of business the rest of the year. There is ZERO chance we miss the playoff because pollsters look back to a game in August and think the offense looked bad because we hadn't decided on a QB yet. No one is going to care. No one that matters anyway.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Been away for a while but this ULTIMATE QB debate seems a bit premature, but with the excitement of the season beginning in 4 weeks... and today kicking off practice here is my simple take....Coach Saban wants a QB controversy as much as I want an orange car....and Jacob Coker wasn't asked to come to Alabama just to make the competition stronger...You figure it anyway you wish... But I think it is pretty clear...IMO of course.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Why should a career backup QB from an ACC school be the starting QB at Alabama. Being able to throw a football through a brick wall does not make you a QB.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
And he should start because ? Come on! Coker should be our starting quarterback because...he's done what?
C'mon. Answer the question.
sip
The only thing we SHOULD do is let Fall Camp play out and trust CNS to choose the best option to be successful.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Why should a career backup QB from an ACC school be the starting QB at Alabama. Being able to throw a football through a brick wall does not make you a QB.
Why should we be excited about a career backup that has looked very underwhelming except for 1 game against a cupcake? Unless Blake's game is suddenly much better than it ever has been, we have reason to be concerned. I think the infatuation with Coker, as you call it, is really just hope that he is as advertised. Blake hasn't shown anything to this point that he can be the QB of championship level team. Maybe he has dramatically improved, but that's what we heard before A-day too, and we all saw him struggle mightily. Maybe we will prove us all wrong.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I'll just say this. Blake Sims will be our starter for the West Virginia game, and he deserves it.
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
This infatuation with Coker amazes me.
I'm not going to to do another post until the West Virginia game is over.
If I have to eat crow, I will, but I'll take take the chance.
That's it.
Roll Tide, beat the Mountaineers!
sip
Really Sip? That game is a long time off. You can't wait that long before you post again.

As far as the infatuation with Coker, it reminds me of Brian Burgdorf. People were all giddy about him too. I hope they both play well and the best one wins the job. From watching the videos from today, Coker was throwing it all over the place and Sims was looking tentative, but hitting the target. Sims looked to be throwing behind them a little. First practice, it will get better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.