Fall Practice Begins and CNS Speaks to the Media

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well, I guess I'll just have to say that you're wrong and I'm right, and we'll just see what happens.
Would you agree to just wait and see if I'm correct or not?
Deal?
sip
Wow, slow down, chief...

If CNS thinks Coker gives Bama the best chance to win, who do you think will start? Never mind, doesn't matter - if that's what Saban thinks, then Coker will start.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Originally Posted by CrimsonForce:
Neither have "done" anything. This is about the 10th time we've gone through this diatribe. I'm talking about what highly respected college coaches, NFL coaches, and NFL scouts have had to say about JC throwing ability and overall physical ability. If you are just going to base your opinion on what either of them has "done" then maybe don't post about this topic until there is tangible evidence. I've seen enough of BS from A-day. That disaster was enough for me.

Well, I guess I'll just have to say that you're wrong and I'm right, and we'll just see what happens.
Would you agree to just wait and see if I'm correct or not?
Deal?
sip
Force and Sip:
What I am not understanding is how both of you - among the more knowledgeable and perceptive - have missed that both Sims and Coker are placeholders for Bateman. He's our next quarterback. You guys are playing along with the Saban//REC diversion that has snookered most of the national media and opposition and, hopefully, our opposition.

Right?

:biggrin2:

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I know this has all been said and hashed over time and again, but I think the best QB starts period. That may or may not not be the first game, but the eventual starter. I believe if Sims wins out it will be big surprise even to the coaches. Reason? I don't believe there's any way CNS brings in Coker to be a backup with his perceived credentials (media, analysts, etc) when he knows Coker could start elsewhere for the next couple of years and probably have a good career. I can't imagine a good reason to bring him in to be a backup. That said, he has to win the job. I think everyone knows CNS is going with the best chance to win with all factors considered, and also that any disgruntled players will get over it or get straightened out by the team leadership.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
3 of those years BS was playing running back. Coker has more experience at QB than BS does. Sometimes you talk like we just found Coker outside a Walmart or something. Read what Jimbo and other highly respected NFL scouts have said about JC and his throwing ability. Its not something people on this board are just making up. Conversely, I haven't seen anyone say anything positive publicly about BS ability to play QB, except CNS which is expected. For some reason you seem emotionally invested into BS, which is kind of odd.
In my opinion, our starting QB will be the guy making smart decisions. All QB's at Bama have the raw physical athletic ability to play the position or they wouldn't be on the team. As in the past, CNS will chose the "game manager" to lead the team. The guy who will not make dumb mistakes and turn the ball over. We'll know what CNS's decision is and who our starting QB will be by Sept 20th when UF comes to town. RTR.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Physically, Evans doesn't look like a freshman. He looked a little tired. I just imagine things are a little different than in high school.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Josh Frazier may see more PT than expected with Ivory and Reed being suspended. People were saying on twitter that he is a solid 355, mostly muscle. I would like to see a player like Rashaan Evans get involved in some of the nickel and dime packages. We need more athletic linebackers to help cover these spread and HUNH offenses by using their speed and conditioning to be able to cover a lot of ground without getting winded. I heard he was practicing some with the outside linebackers. A big difference in scheme there. Upshaw a few years ago was 265 lbs and Rashaan is around 225. We are definitely getting quicker at the LB position.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
In my opinion, our starting QB will be the guy making smart decisions. All QB's at Bama have the raw physical athletic ability to play the position or they wouldn't be on the team. As in the past, CNS will chose the "game manager" to lead the team. The guy who will not make dumb mistakes and turn the ball over. We'll know what CNS's decision is and who our starting QB will be by Sept 20th when UF comes to town. RTR.
I've never said anything about a QB requiring "raw physical athletic ability" to play QB at Bama. I don't think there is any doubt that JC has a better arm and throws the ball better than BS. Does that make JC a better QB? Not necessarily. But does it give the staff more to work with and the ability to mold him into the QB they want him to be? I would say so. You almost have to have a QB who can make game changing plays with the way other teams play offense now. We are not going to be holding HUNH spread teams to 14 points or less. Those days are mostly over.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm more concerned about the OL than the QB. If we get good OL play, the QB's job is much easier. Leon Brown being hurt is good and bad - causes some shuffling but maybe some extra reps for young guys. Can we pass block better than last year ?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Marlon looks ripped in that first pic. He's been in the weight room somewhere!

Evans doesn't look like a TF.

We can debate the qb for this year (and I'm sure we will) but there is something about Cornwell that makes me think he could be one of our best ever at qb. I actually wonder if he had not come off of season ending surgery his sr. year that he might not be pushing everybody this fall.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have no clue who will start or who "should" start at QB at this point. To be honest from what little I'VE SEEN of both Coker and Sims there is a real chance we struggle at the qb position this season. Sims seems to have no issues with the practice environment but when there's a game like situation he (much like P. Sims) struggles. Coker on the other hand, from the limited tape I saw of him at Fla St and the recent practice video, has got some accuracy and timing issues. Neither qb, IMO, has been impressive enough for anybody to jump on either of their bandwagons.

Coker may have a ton of potential but has a lot of things to "put together" before that potential materializes. Sims seems to not be very comfortable in the pocket which isn't a very good sign either. We might very well be in the same boat LSU will more than likely be in this season. Weak at qb and will have to depend on a strong running game and stout defense. We've done it before...

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have no clue who will start or who "should" start at QB at this point. To be honest from what little I'VE SEEN of both Coker and Sims there is a real chance we struggle at the qb position this season. Sims seems to have no issues with the practice environment but when there's a game like situation he (much like P. Sims) struggles. Coker on the other hand, from the limited tape I saw of him at Fla St and the recent practice video, has got some accuracy and timing issues. Neither qb, IMO, has been impressive enough for anybody to jump on either of their bandwagons.

Coker may have a ton of potential but has a lot of things to "put together" before that potential materializes. Sims seems to not be very comfortable in the pocket which isn't a very good sign either. We might very well be in the same boat LSU will more than likely be in this season. Weak at qb and will have to depend on a strong running game and stout defense. We've done it before...
Hopefully it's not a "Spencer Pennington" type situation! But if Sims and Coker both struggle, I really think Bateman and even Cornwell are legitiment options.

Trying not to put too much in the short video of Coker we saw from day one, but his accuracy or lack of it was not reassuring.

The problem with relying on our run game is pretty obvious. If we don't have a decent passing threat, teams will dare us to throw as they stack the box.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Hopefully it's not a "Spencer Pennington" type situation! But if Sims and Coker both struggle, I really think Bateman and even Cornwell are legitiment options.

Trying not to put too much in the short video of Coker we saw from day one, but his accuracy or lack of it was not reassuring.

The problem with relying on our run game is pretty obvious. If we don't have a decent passing threat, teams will dare us to throw as they stack the box.
A tad early to be concerned with the passing game. First practice. I`ll hazard a guess and go out on a limb and state that I`ll bet AJ, GMac, etc. had days at practice where they weren`t the paragons of accuracy either.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A tad early to be concerned with the passing game. First practice. I`ll hazard a guess and go out on a limb and state that I`ll bet AJ, GMac, etc. had days at practice where they weren`t the paragons of accuracy either.
I agree. That comment was in response to Buzzards concern too.

But the problem we haven't had to deal with in a few years now is one that I'm concerned both Sims and Coker may have and that is accuracy issues.

Say what you want to say about Gmac and AJ, but they rarely overthrew guys and, therefore, we have seen very few INTs in the last few years.

Start overthrowing guys, especially in the middle of the field, and the INTs will go up.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Not that it would be good if he was considering it, but you have to think that Coker knew this was pretty much his first exposure to the fans. He knows the things that are being written about him and the expectations on him. HOpefully he settles in and was just a bit nervous, I mean he has a tremendous opportunity in front of him and maybe had some nerves.

I like Coker's potential but if Sims wins the job I'll be 100% behind him, in a way his running ability intrigues me. I just don't see the reason everyone has to jump into a camp, let's just trust the coaches to play whoever gives us teh best chance to win. We are basing our opinions off of tiny amounts of exposure, even for Sims.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
By no means do we have a Spencer Pennington situation, Cooper Batemen is way better than he was, Cornwell probably is too. But what I am expecting to see is the quarterbacks struggle for the first half of the season. Not because they aren't any good but just because they haven't really played. GMac really struggled on up until the South Carolina game but started improving steadily after that. If our OL gels we should be able to lean on our running game until they get some experience.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.