Link: Beautiful story about chocolate...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Really puts things into perspective. We take for granted that chocolate bars are available at every grocery store and Walmart checkout line, yet the folks harvesting the ingredients to make it have lived decades without ever tasting it. Unreal.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Mike Kouandjio had a little doubt about the legitimacy of it. (That's where he's from originally) If he follows up, I'll post it. If those guys were acting, they're damned good...

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
That was very cool. What seems like a simple thing, buying a chocolate bar, can mean so much to others in far way places.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Mike Kouandjio had a little doubt about the legitimacy of it. (That's where he's from originally) If he follows up, I'll post it. If those guys were acting, they're damned good...

I had a friend in college from the Ivory Coast who had relatives who were cocoa farmers. He told me back then - over a decade ago - that his relatives thought they made wine from the beans. I sort of always thought he was at least half-joking when he said it.

I guess not. :)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's tough to watch, a little bit. As much as I enjoy seeing them taste chocolate for the first time, and as engaging as they are (I'd LOVE to hang with these guys for a few weeks), it saddens me that they live as they must. That said, based on this video, I'm sure they're any less happy (heck, quite possibly happier) than many I know here with great (relative) wealth...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Think American Indians....very happy until white man come with trinkets....and fire sticks....and fire water. :(
What was the old joke?

Indian man fish and hunt all day, come home and make love to woman all night. Woman cook, clean and raise kids. Medicine man free. White man comes along and thinks he can improve on that?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There was a fairly recent study done on Bushmen in South Africa, a fair number of whom still pursue a strictly hunter/gatherer existence. They spent for less time in "making a living," so to speak and had much more leisure time than "civilized" societies. The ones putting in the most hours - you guessed it, Americans...

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
You guys are nuts! "uncomplicated" life without all the modern conveniences sounds romantic until you gotta live without hot water, air conditioning and TP for a few weeks. I'll gladly keep my western life, thank you very much! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.