World War II Daily: DDay to VEDay

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I remember it being all over the news in B'ham when he died. I had forgotten about the CIA part of it until I checked out that wiki link.
I recently re-watched "A River Runs Through It." The part quoted below reminds me of the end of the movie where the dad asked Norman if there are any other details he can add about the death of his son. He says that every bone in his hand was broken. The dad asks, "Which one." Norman simply replies, "His right one." The dad then quietly walks upstairs.

According to members of a German television crew who were later trapped in the fort with Dave, Spann asked the prisoners who they were and why they joined the Taliban. They massed around him. 'Why are you here?' Spann asked one. 'To kill you,' came the reply as the man lunged at Spann's neck. Spann drew his pistol and shot the man dead. Dave shot another, then grabbed an AK-47 from an Alliance guard and opened fire. According to eyewitness accounts given to the German team, the Taliban fighters launched themselves at Spann, scrabbling at his flesh with their hands, kicking and beating him. Spann killed seven more with his pistol before he disappeared under the crus

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I recently re-watched "A River Runs Through It." The part quoted below reminds me of the end of the movie where the dad asked Norman if there are any other details he can add about the death of his son. He says that every bone in his hand was broken. The dad asks, "Which one." Norman simply replies, "His right one." The dad then quietly walks upstairs.
after reading his wiki entry, i feel horrible for his kids. his oldest two lost their mother not long after he died.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm thankful today for those, past and present, who have signed up to serve to defend this great nation. All of them have made sacrifices, and I'm thankful for their willingness to serve.

My uncle and both of my grandfathers served (both grandfathers served in WWII). Three great men, I'm proud of all of them.

On the left is my uncle, Charles Templeton, In the middle are my maternal grandparents, James F. and June Templeton (Grandma and Papaw). On the right is my paternal grandfather, G.W. Blackwood (Poppa G). All of my grandparents have passed on now, I miss them.

Attachments

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
When we returned from our "Taking Mom Home" tour, we stopped at the rest stop, on I-65, right after we left (thankfully!) 10RC.

Here are some pictures, that might be appropriate for this day.

I believe this one is from the Bryant Museum:

Thanks to all who have served.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.