World War II Daily: DDay to VEDay

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: WWII: European Theater daily - 1944 (was Normandy Daily)

Interesting that the Dutch named their party a "movement," instead of calling it a "party." I think it was that from the beginning, even before the NAAZI takeover. ("Beweging" is the same word as "Bewegung" in German, both meaning "movement. The root is "weg" or "way." In fact, it's pronounced as "wayg." So, to set something into motion, you "be way" it. German is very literal... :D)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

May 7, 1945: General Alfred Jodl signs the unconditional surrender of all German forces to the Allies, to take effect the day after (11:01 PM on May 8), at Eisenhower's headquarters near Rheims, France. British, French, Soviet and American representatives are all present. The Soviets witness the surrender at Rheims, but do not recognize the surrender until another document is signed in the Soviet-conquered territory. German occupation forces in Norway also surrender.

Allied military operations come to an end almost immediately after the surrender is signed. Eisenhower signals Combined Chiefs of Staff: “The mission of this Allied Force was fulfilled at 0241, local time, May 7th, 1945.”

US 9th Air Force fighters fly sweeps and demonstrations over POW camps.

Operations Manna and Chowhound continue as RAF Bomber Command utilizes Lancaster bombers (Manna) and US 8th Air Force uses 220 B-17 bombers (Chowhound) to drop food supplies to Dutch civilians.

US 7th Army troops capture Hungarian Prime Minister Szalasi.

French forces begin moving into La Rochelle overnight to take surrender of the German garrison.

Soviet troops of the 1st Belorussian Front reach the Elbe river north and south-east of Magdeburg. In Silesia, the German garrison of Breslau surrenders to the Soviet 1st Ukrainian Front after an 82 day siege. In Czechoslovakia, fighting continues north of Olmutz and in the town itself. On the Frische Nehring, in East Prussia, the remaining German forces continue to hold out near the village of Vogelsang.

German SS troops attack Czechoslovakian resistance fighters outside of Prague; the resistance fighters are saved by the unexpected assistance from 1st Division of Russian Liberation Army, which previously fought on the side of the Germans. Meanwhile, in the city, German Field Marshal Ferdinand Schörner orders his troops to begin evacuating the city, while he will soon depart by plane to southern Germany himself; the plane will crash en route, but he would survive the ordeal.

Pictured: The schoolhouse in Reims, France used by Eisenhower as the Supreme Headquarters of the Allied Expeditionary Forces (SHAEF). This is also where the first German surrender was signed on May 7, 1945

ColGen Alfred Jodl signing the documents of Germany’s surrender, Reims, France, May 7, 1945. His aide, Maj Wilhelm Oxenius, is on the left and Kriegsmarine Admiral Hans-Georg Von Friedeburg is on the right

German instrument of surrender, page 1 of 2

German instrument of surrender, page 2 of 2 (note signatures of Jodl, Smith, Sousloparov, and Sevez)

Map depicting the final campaign in Germany, April 19 - May 7, 1945

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

As I've done this more and more I've grown a bit more adept at finding details about the war that I find interesting, and my posts have therefore gotten more detailed. Because of this, I've set up a page on FB where I'll start over posting these posts, along with new details, interesting tidbits and pictures I find. The page is live now, so anyone interested in seeing more of these posts outlining the battle to free Europe from the tyranny of the Nazis, go ahead and 'like' it now so you'll be notified when the new posts start there around the first of June.

https://www.facebook.com/WW2daily

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

It was nice that your last installment hit on a Friday. Party down tonight CA. THanks for all of these posts here and on FB. They've been great.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

If that was a modern photo, half the women under 25 would be making a duck face and most would be making poor attempts at gang signals with their hands instead of V.

Happy VE-Day!

Times Square, May 8, 1945:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

That's a special photo, everyone is looking at the camera. I'm guessing they were all watching the electronic news crawl when someone in the building got the pic.

Great job on everything, Crimsonaudio, I have looked forward to these posts every day for the past year. The daily reminders of courage, selflessness, and sacrifice have provided quite a juxtaposition against many current events.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

It was nice that your last installment hit on a Friday. Party down tonight CA. THanks for all of these posts here and on FB. They've been great.
It's pretty neat that VE-Day was a Tuesday - 48 weeks to the day after D-Day.

Not sure if I'll continue for the next few days or not, some interesting stuff happens post VE-Day in Europe, so we'll see...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

If that was a modern photo, half the women under 25 would be making a duck face and most would be making poor attempts at gang signals with their hands instead of V.
heh, i was just about to post that if this picture were taken today, at least one person would be clutching their pearls about the folks in the crowd flashing "gang" signs.

i wonder what the 1945 version of the duck face is?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

I went on my 7th grader daughter's field trip to see a play at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. They did a group photo. A few kids were making goofy hand gestures. One kid on the back row was flashing the shocker. I called out to him and told him to stop. He seemed shocked I called him out. A teacher gave me the stink eye. The teacher obviously was oblivious to the gesture.

heh, i was just about to post that if this picture were taken today, at least one person would be clutching their pearls about the folks in the crowd flashing "gang" signs.

i wonder what the 1945 version of the duck face is?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I went on my 7th grader daughter's field trip to see a play at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. They did a group photo. A few kids were making goofy hand gestures. One kid on the back row was flashing the shocker. I called out to him and told him to stop. He seemed shocked I called him out. A teacher gave me the stink eye. The teacher obviously was oblivious to the gesture.
i remember when i worked as staff at camp horne (mid 80s), a couple of the kids were doing some handshake thing that at the end involved mimicking a lady part. no knowledge whatsover of what they were doing. the look on the scoutmaster's face was priceless as it was parent's night.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

May 8, 1945: It’s Tuesday - today marks 48 weeks (336 days) since the D-Day Invasion at Normandy and the beginning of the liberation of Europe, which is now complete.

Britain marks VE (Victory in Europe) Day with scenes of great public celebration and services of thanksgiving. In France, the German garrisons in coastal strongholds finally surrender. In Berlin, Marshal Zhukov accepts the German surrender, which is to take effect on May 11. The German troops in Czechoslovakia also surrender.

Field Marshal Robert Ritter von Greim, Head of the Luftwaffe since Hitler's dismissal of Hermann Göring in the last days of the collapsing German Reich, is captured by American troops in Austria.

Soviet troops liberat Theresienstadt Concentration Camp; about 30,000 prisoners are present at the camp at the time.

A special medical commission of Soviet 1st Belorussian Front (headed by Lieutenant Colonel Faust Shkaravsky) performs an autopsy on the two bodies retrieved near the Chancellery in Berlin - one of which is suspected to be that of Adolf Hitler's. He notes that a part of the skull on one of the bodies is missing, but the cause of death of that person is most likely cyanide poisoning.

In the United States, President Truman warns Americans that the war is only half won.

Every gun present at Okinawa, Japan (including naval guns) fires one round at noon at the Japanese in celebration of VE-Day.

Pictured: Churchill waving to crowds at Whitehall, London, England, United Kingdom on the day he announced the war with Germany had been won, May 8, 1945

Two million people gathered in Times Square to celebrate the end of World War II, May 8, 1945

Georgi Zhukov signing the German surrender document, Karlshorst, Berlin, Germany, May 8, 1945

Men of the US Army 77th Infantry Division at Okinawa, Japan listening to radio reports for the German surrender, May 8, 1945

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

CA, thanks again for doing this. It has been enjoyable to read. And I know it was a lot of work.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

It's really been my pleasure - I'm glad some people enjoyed it and maybe learned a thing or two.

I had thought I would continue today and for a few more days, but instead of it being just a bunch of data, it feels more complete stopping on VE-Day. The telling of this story deserves a solid ending, imo, and I cannot think of a better one than VE-Day.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

If there was ever a need for the "LIKE" button, well, obvious and unanimous choice.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

My dad sent me this link today, though some of you might enjoy it - some truly awesome footage! It's an Academy Award-nominated documentary, showing the 21st Bombing Command and its role in the bombing of Japan and the Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO). The P-51 strafing runs are incredible!

https://archive.org/details/TheLastBomb1945

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American

My dad sent me this link today, though some of you might enjoy it - some truly awesome footage! It's an Academy Award-nominated documentary, showing the 21st Bombing Command and its role in the bombing of Japan and the Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO). The P-51 strafing runs are incredible!

https://archive.org/details/TheLastBomb1945
Watched every minute, thanks, never saw this before, salute to your pop and yourself

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Memorial Day coming soon , seventy years since the end of the shooting war of WW2, my opinion that this is the best long-running thread since I have been visiting Tidefans, hoping someone who missed it earlier will find it . . . I had to give it a bump, folks.

Let’s keep it near the top at least past Memorial Day.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Memorial Day weekend - a weekend of reflection for me. Those who know me know I'm an avid smoker / griller - I refuse to do either on Memorial Day weekend. Nor do I buy stuff on sale. It's a weekend to remember the sacrifice of those who have given all for all of us.

My wife's uncle, killed in the battle for Iwo Jima, February 24, 1945.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.