Rough NFL start for Cyrus

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Not sure if any of you noticed or not, but as of tonight, FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!

Starting today, we'll have football of some kind every weekend until February (thank God).

Anyways, Cyrus played RT for the Bills tonight,and my goodness. He got his lunch handed to him ALL NIGHT. Got his QB sacked a couple times, was routinely pushed into the backfield, and it looked as if he just had dead legs. Showed no fluidity in his lower body.

Photo below for an example..he's the one lineman being pushed backward.

There a ton of excuses I could legitimately make for Cyrus (1st game jitters..getting used to the NFL....could very well be playing with an injury...adjusting from LT to RT..etc.)

Here's hoping he can get it together and put together a hall of fame career.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Looked like Oklahoma game; he just needs to get 100%. Still looks slower than he did couple of years ago.
His head coach played his position, and a reporter asked him point blank how he felt about him and he cut the reporter off mid-sentence and said, "He has a lot of work ahead of him"

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
There were positives, they ran a lot to the right. He had trouble with the inside move. That picture doesn't necessarily tell us anything as that was probably a wide edge rusher in which Cyrus would give ground to protect the flank. Problem I see is the defenders hands, and Cyrus' stance. Looks like he is being setup for an inside move....again.

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I watched most of the game and Cris Collingsworth called him out for poor play several times.

I hope he's saving his money bc he won't finish his rookie contract with play like that.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I don't have a good answer for his struggles with pass blocking the past year, but they are undeniable. I hope he improves.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Does anyone know or recall how he was advised by the staff prior to his making a final decision to enter the draft? I ask that not knowing if, or in what way, such information is even available. I think it would be fascinating to be privy to some of those discussions. IMHO, in a high profile program like ours and with the type of talent coming through, it would and should be a major responsibility of the coaching staff to advise players. I know that they do, and it must be a very interesting part of their jobs.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Does anyone know or recall how he was advised by the staff prior to his making a final decision to enter the draft? I ask that not knowing if, or in what way, such information is even available. I think it would be fascinating to be privy to some of those discussions. IMHO, in a high profile program like ours and with the type of talent coming through, it would and should be a major responsibility of the coaching staff to advise players. I know that they do, and it must be a very interesting part of their jobs.
From what I remember his knee that was surgically repaired is a ticking time bomb. He only has so many more years he can play on it. He didn't want to use one of those years in college or risk another injury.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Typically if a guy gets a second round grade or better, the staff won't try to talk him out of it.

There's lots of talk about his knee, but the surgeon that did it said there's no more issue with his knee than any other that he's done so you wouldn't think that is it unless there is some residual stiffness he just has not worked out you.

I really think the guy just needs help with his technique and core strength, and honestly one more year in college probably wasn't going to help him any more than the coaching and training he will get at the pro level. I hope he get's it on the right track

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watched the game last night and agree with most of the comments. However, I don't think that his problem has anything to do with his knee or his strength. He was a stud on running plays - very explosive. He is just not quick enough to play tackle against fast-twitch defensive linemen. They ate him up in SEC play, and they ate him up last night. IMO, he needs to move to guard where he would likely do very well.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Cyrus simply got embarrassed last night. If it wasn't a defender blowing past him or through him it was him completely missing blocks and whiffing at air. One time he literally went to make a block and no one was there. :redface: Whatever the issue is if he doesn't make huge strides he won't be in the league long.

DothanTide

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 6, 2011
I thought he started to play better toward the end of the game(course, that's against some guys who may be out of the league in a couple of weeks, but still), but when he was absolutely ghastly in pass protection when he first came into the game. No leg bend, reaching, and failing get his punch in on the rusher's chest. Just terrible.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
He looked like he had stone legs. Just looks uncomfortable covering wide spaces. Wasn't his agility praised out of high school though? If so, they got it wrong. If not, how in the world was he a top five prospect?

I remember when we were angry because he committed to Auburn. When he decommitted to them they signed Greg Robinson and most of their fans were real bummed. And now Greg is the second overall pick of the 2014 Draft...which is exactly why I take recruiting rankings with a sizable grain of salt.

Last edited:

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Typically if a guy gets a second round grade or better, the staff won't try to talk him out of it.

There's lots of talk about his knee, but the surgeon that did it said there's no more issue with his knee than any other that he's done so you wouldn't think that is it unless there is some residual stiffness he just has not worked out you.

I really think the guy just needs help with his technique and core strength, and honestly one more year in college probably wasn't going to help him any more than the coaching and training he will get at the pro level. I hope he get's it on the right track
Agree with this. He probably was wise to get out and get what money he could. The way he is trending he may not have been drafted next year. Let's face it, he was not very consistent for us last year.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Maybe he wasn't quite as awesome a tackle as some thought he was. Personally I never saw him as the next Chris Samuels or Andre Smith as some did. He never seemed to improve from year to year. I agree with the concept that Chance really made him look better than he was. Even then he blew a LOT of assignments.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Rough start, but frankly anything otherwise would have been a surprised. He has struggled pretty badly throughout camp so far, and in fact he hasn't even been the best rookie OT on the squad (Seantrel Henderson gets that nod).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.