Bengals Extend Dalton

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
NFL contracts are very different for all other professional sports. Normally around 20% of the contract is guaranteed and that is usually paid up front in a signing bonus. So the team can cut him if they want and not be on the hook for anymore money. When you hear about these $100 million contracts in the NFL, normally the player will see half of that if he is lucky. QBs being the primary exception. Darrell Revis signed a 5 year $96 million contract with the Buccaneers last year. He played one year and they cut him. Case in point.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm not sure Dalton is worth a $115 million contract! What has he done to deserve SuperBowl QB money?

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Dalton has won 30 games in his first 3 years and made the playoffs each year, something that's only been done twice before. He's improved his YPG, TDs and QB rating each year.

On the other hand, he's 0-3 in the playoffs with 1 TD and 6 picks. He's terrible against the blitz.

This is just the Bengals trying to keep up with everyone else. Dalton isn't a great QB, but he's about average, maybe a tick better and there are several teams who would love to have him.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
There are many worse callings than being a career NFL back up QB, if such is AJ's fate. Jeff Rutledge, for instance...

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I don't think it's bad for AJ at all. If he's worth keeping around, they'll keep him around.

Now, if you're saying 'well, there goes AJ's shot at being a rookie starter', then yeah....

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The best thing for AJ to do right now is to sit and learn. No way he's ready to step behind center of an NFL team and lead them. Best case scenario for AJ is what happened with Aaron Rodgers in GB. Rodgers was able to sit, learn the offense, get adjusted to being a professional and develop. It doesn't mean AJ will have the same success as Rodgers but no doubt would put him in a better position to succeed.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think this is good for AJ. With that kind of money, its unlikely that Dalton gets pulled early in the season in favor of AJ. That will give AJ plenty of time to adjust and learn the NFL game. Its rare that first years QBs are game ready, so I think AJ benefits here.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
The backup QB is the most popular player on the team. If AJ is patient enough, I have full confidence that Dalton will play his way out of Cincinnati. To me, and this may be unfair, but Dalton's a rich man version of Christian Ponder, the difference being Ponder never had a WR like AJ Green to throw to.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Dalton has won 30 games in his first 3 years and made the playoffs each year, something that's only been done twice before. He's improved his YPG, TDs and QB rating each year.

On the other hand, he's 0-3 in the playoffs with 1 TD and 6 picks. He's terrible against the blitz.

This is just the Bengals trying to keep up with everyone else. Dalton isn't a great QB, but he's about average, maybe a tick better and there are several teams who would love to have him.
As much as I want AJ to have a shot, I'm a huge Andy Dalton fan. He's a great young man who grew up in Katy and played for Katy HS. His story on how he became the starting QB is also one that should be discussed with all kids who play sports but may not start. Never give up. He was the back up QB on the B team his freshman year. Because of injuries, he was the starter on the sophomore team the next year and after that, he was competing for and splitting time on varsity his junior year. His senior year he led the Tigers to the state finals losing to South Lake Carroll.

He comes from a great family who are strong Christians and he's a tremendous role model. AJ needs to learn from Andy how to handle himself a little bit and "humble" himself a little as well so that when Andy steps aside (voluntarily or not), AJ can assume the reigns.

For those who don't know about Katy, they are a football powerhouse. They are the "Alabama" of Houston area football. They believe every year that they will be playing for a state championship.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
Dalton's a rich man version of Christian Ponder
huh?

Dalton 30-18 in 3 years and made playoffs all 3 seasons....(only 2 current teams have made playoffs 4+ straight years)

3000+ yards all 3 years (only peyton and sCam have done that in first 3 years)

80+ QBR rating every season

NEVER missed a start

FIRST qb in history to throw for 3000+ yd in each of first 3 seasons and make the playoffs each year

..... christian ponder? really

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
According to the article, little of the money is guaranteed (not only for Dalton but also for most NFL QBs) so if he doesn't perform there's little to no financial burden on the Bengals for moving to someone else. Of course, the economist in me argues that a sunk cost (which a guaranteed contract essentially is) should be irrelevant to rational decision-making on the margin, but we've all seen how irrationally decisions can tend to be made in real life.

One other interesting line in this:
Around The League has long had a theory that Dalton is the prime meridian of NFL quarterbacks. If your quarterback is ranked "After Dalton," you need to a find new one.
Hardly a ringing endorsement...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
As much as I want AJ to have a shot, I'm a huge Andy Dalton fan. He's a great young man who grew up in Katy and played for Katy HS. His story on how he became the starting QB is also one that should be discussed with all kids who play sports but may not start. Never give up. He was the back up QB on the B team his freshman year. Because of injuries, he was the starter on the sophomore team the next year and after that, he was competing for and splitting time on varsity his junior year. His senior year he led the Tigers to the state finals losing to South Lake Carroll.

He comes from a great family who are strong Christians and he's a tremendous role model. AJ needs to learn from Andy how to handle himself a little bit and "humble" himself a little as well so that when Andy steps aside (voluntarily or not), AJ can assume the reigns.

For those who don't know about Katy, they are a football powerhouse. They are the "Alabama" of Houston area football. They believe every year that they will be playing for a state championship.
Dalton just needs to keep his helmet on. You need to wear sun glasses when looking at that red hair.

Whatever happened to that Katy running back that Alabama was recruiting at Katy HS a few years ago. I think he signed with Stanford but I haven't heard about him. I just can't remember his name.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
If anyone thinks that Dalton's contract is good for AJ, you don't know much about the NFL. Teams don't like to admit they made mistakes that big. AJ will not see the field anytime soon. I don't know the guaranteed money in the contract, but I am sure there is a chunk, which means they will stick with Dalton for awhile. .

I think Dalton is a fine person, I followed his career at TCU, but I don't understand his contract. It really is shocking. His stats over the last three years has him17th in completion percentage, 21st in yards/att, 9th in TDs, and 23rd in QBR. His postseason QBR is one of the worst in NFL history. Not the kind of stats to warrant the 4th biggest contract in the NFL. His team may make it to the playoffs every year, but it is because the Bengals are loaded with talent, not because of the QB. That's why I thought the Bengals would be a great fit for AJ, but this contract pretty much shut that door, especially coupled with a shoulder injury.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
NFL contracts are very different for all other professional sports. Normally around 20% of the contract is guaranteed and that is usually paid up front in a signing bonus. So the team can cut him if they want and not be on the hook for anymore money. When you hear about these $100 million contracts in the NFL, normally the player will see half of that if he is lucky. QBs being the primary exception. Darrell Revis signed a 5 year $96 million contract with the Buccaneers last year. He played one year and they cut him. Case in point.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Actually no. His deal is similar to that 49ers QB, Colin. the money guaranteed is very little, meaning the contract is based on his performance on the field. I think you failed to see the bigger picture of the team in general. Dalton is ranked in the bottom tiers of the QBs and AJ is a upgrade over him, the question is when will he see the field this season.
If anyone thinks that Dalton's contract is good for AJ, you don't know much about the NFL. Teams don't like to admit they made mistakes that big. AJ will not see the field anytime soon. I don't know the guaranteed money in the contract, but I am sure there is a chunk, which means they will stick with Dalton for awhile. .

I think Dalton is a fine person, I followed his career at TCU, but I don't understand his contract. It really is shocking. His stats over the last three years has him17th in completion percentage, 21st in yards/att, 9th in TDs, and 23rd in QBR. His postseason QBR is one of the worst in NFL history. Not the kind of stats to warrant the 4th biggest contract in the NFL. His team may make it to the playoffs every year, but it is because the Bengals are loaded with talent, not because of the QB. That's why I thought the Bengals would be a great fit for AJ, but this contract pretty much shut that door, especially coupled with a shoulder injury.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.