Open Practice Report from Crimson Cover

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Honestly before he leaves Bama I think Cooper Bateman will be better than Sims or Coker. He just needs to be developed.
I doubt it. If Coker wins the job next season, Bateman would be the expected backup as a RS sophomore. Cornwell would be a RS freshman, and Barnett would be redshirted. The following spring would be the time for one of them to transfer, and I expect Bateman would be the only one. His decision would be based on where he finishes spring 2016 camp.
I don't see the problem. Playing a true freshmen at QB is just a horrible idea 99% of the time. Barnett is better off sitting that first year no matter what and I'm sure he knows that. Bateman, is actually well positioned, as he figured to get a pretty good shot at starting as a junior. That's the potential log jam year though. Next year, either Coker returns and is the heir apparent, or he has a great year, leaves and Alabama pushes an inexperienced guy out there.

Anyway, Bateman looks to be first in line as a junior, with Cornwell as redshirt sophomore, and Barnett as a redshirt freshman. Who ever happens to find themselves third in the depth chart (I assume no true freshman would jump any of them, but who knows?) probably will look at their options, but there's plenty of reasons for all of those guys to stick around until them. Blake Sims will be gone after this season, Coker after the next for sure, Morris is pretty much out of the picture, so it's really just those three...
I can't see Bateman beating out Blake Barnett. I think he eventually transfers.

Interesting that nobody is talking about David Cornwell. After his knee heals and he has a little time in the system I think there is a good chance for him to be better than any of the guys ahead of him right now.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Interesting that nobody is talking about David Cornwell. After his knee heals and he has a little time in the system I think there is a good chance for him to be better than any of the guys ahead of him right now.
It's going to be fun to watch. Seeing the young guys progress is part of the reason I enjoy college football more than the NFL.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If you are not anti Coker then don't say you will be disappointed if he plays, like you stated earlier in the thread. Everyone can have an opinion but still support whoever is playing.
I think a five year senior at the University of Alabama, who is the current starter, and has gone through five "fourth quarter programs", and patiently waited his hopeful turn without transferring, deserves at least one chance to start, way more so than a guy who has never worn a Crimson jersey, played for Florida State, as a back up last season, and has never really done anything since he's been in Tuscaloosa.
If I'm wrong in my opinion, then "the process" has gone to hell in a hand basket, because it all becomes, "WIN NOW".
Coach Saban doesn't adapt to that philosophy. You do.
If Jacob Coker runs on the field, as the starter, against West Virginia, I'll pull for him.
But I can tell ya something. If Blake Sims is the starting QB, you're gonna be ticked.
Don't tell me you'll support him because you won't.
You'll hope he fails.
Trust me.
sip

Last edited:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
We have the best head coach in all of football and possibly the best quarterback coach in college football. We have 5 very talented guys at the position so I see no reason to worry. This team will go as far as the offensive line will take it. Finding the best 5 there is my only concern.
Ultimately you have hit the nail on the head

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
If you are not anti Coker then don't say you will be disappointed if he plays, like you stated earlier in the thread. Everyone can have an opinion but still support whoever is playing.
I think a five year senior at the University of Alabama, who is the current starter, and has gone through five "fourth quarter programs", and patiently waited his hopeful turn without transferring, deserves at least one chance to start, way more so than a guy who has never worn a Crimson jersey, played for Florida State, as a back up last season, and has never really done anything since he's been in Tuscaloosa.
If I'm wrong in my opinion, then "the process" has gone to hell in a hand basket, because it all becomes, "WIN NOW".
If Jacob Coker runs on the field, as the starter, against West Virginia, I'll pull for him.
But I can tell ya something. If Blake Sims is the starting QB, you're gonna be ticked.
You'll hope he fails.
Trust me.
sip
Yeah, trust him, CF. He knows what you'll think.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
You'll hope he fails.
Trust me.
sip
You said you would stop posting about Coker, yet here you are, still posting about Coker. We get it. You don't want him on the team. GOT IT!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You'll hope he fails.
Trust me.
sip
Is this some kind of reverse physcology, sip?

in all seriousness I wouldn't be disappointed either way as long as we compete for 16 and spank the boogs this year. Roll Tide

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You'll hope he fails.
Trust me.
sip
So we shouldn't start Cam Robinson at left tackle because he hasn't been through 5 fourth quarter programs? Rashaan Evans, Humphrey, Tony Brown-none of those guys should play in order to give every other player on the depth chart a "chance" to play first? Your logic is flawed and you know it is. I've always said I would support whoever played. You are the one who said you would be disappointed to see Coker play. Don't try to spin that around on me...

Have you been paying attention to Bama football since CNS has been here? He has never said that playing time is determined by seniority. Juilio, Mark, Trent, Donta, Rolando, Carpenter, etc etc etc all those guys were true freshman or JUCO who came in and played immediately. Did you have an objection to those guys playing in front of people who had been riding the bench for 4 years? And you are sorely mistaken about what the process is about if you think it is about who starts on Saturday. The process is about taking an 18 year old high school kid and turning them into a 22 year old man who can represent themselves, their family, and their university in a positive way. The process is about being the best person you can be and making a positive impact on other people. It's about doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do. The process is about helping our players be successful in the classroom, in the community, and athletically. The process is about being rewarded via merit, not seniority or favoritism. It really has little to do with who starts on Saturday. The only way the process will have failed BS or any of the players is if they didn't take advantage of their opportunity and do what was asked of them. The process doesn't fail because a player doesn't get to play. 90% of the players will not play in the NFL and be done with sports after they leave Alabama. The process prepares them for the rest of their lives, not for Saturday...

Last edited:

hartleyb

Scout Team
Jan 9, 2009
So we shouldn't start Cam Robinson at left tackle because he hasn't been through 5 fourth quarter programs? Rashaan Evans, Humphrey, Tony Brown-none of those guys should play in order to give every other player on the depth chart a "chance" to play first? Your logic is flawed and you know it is. I've always said I would support whoever played. You are the one who said you would be disappointed to see Coker play. Don't try to spin that around on me...

Have you been paying attention to Bama football since CNS has been here? He has never said that playing time is determined by seniority. Juilio, Mark, Trent, Donta, Rolando, Carpenter, etc etc etc all those guys were true freshman or JUCO who came in and played immediately. Did you have an objection to those guys playing in front of people who had been riding the bench for 4 years? And you are sorely mistaken about what the process is about if you think it is about who starts on Saturday. The process is about taking an 18 year old high school kid and turning them into a 22 year old man who can represent themselves, their family, and their university in a positive way. The process is about being the best person you can be and making a positive impact on other people. It's about doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do. The process is about helping our players be successful in the classroom, in the community, and athletically. The process is about being rewarded via merit, not seniority or favoritism. It really has little to do with who starts on Saturday. The only way the process will have failed BS or any of the players is if they didn't take advantage of their opportunity and do what was asked of them. The process doesn't fail because a player doesn't get to play. 90% of the players will not play in the NFL and be done with sports after they leave Alabama. The process prepares them for the rest of their lives, not for Saturday...
CF, very good points! May the best QB win the starting job, period.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
I don't see how Coker is not going to be our game 1 starter. When Saban brings in a JUCO/2-Year player it is because we need immediate help at that position and he is expecting a big contribution from that incoming player. He saw QB as a glaring need and went and got someone.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

The only thing I've said about Coker is that he hasn't shown me anything yet. Neither has he shown you anything yet, or nobody on this board for that matter. He hasn't been on the field for goodness sakes.
I did not say I'll be disappointed if Coker plays. I said I'd be disappointed if Blake doesn't get at least one chance to start, because he has never had an opportunity to show what he can really do in a competitive game situation. I've also said, repeatedly, that if he screws it up and can't handle it that he can always be replaced.
Coach Saban has traditionally appreciated the efforts of players who have given their absolute all for an extended time period.
I think Blake is one of those players, and will start against West Virginia. That's not a knock against Coker, that's not saying Blake is better than Coker, that's not me not liking Coker, that's not me being anti-Coker. I'm simply saying that I think Blake will get a chance to start the West Virginia game. That's not proclaiming him as the year long starter. That's one game, one snap, one chance.
The only "ANTI's" in this thread are you and the the Pro-Cokers. You guys are 100% totally "Anti-Blake", have had nothing whatsoever to say good about him and have criticized him up, down, chewed him up, spit him out, and deemed him as an unworthy possibility as our QB.
I don't get riled up when someone disagrees with me on this board. But I'll defend a Bama player who's being ridiculed with every ounce of my energy, especially when the criticism is totally unfounded.
Blake's statistics both as a passer and runner surpass Cokers to this point in their college careers. Look it up.
At this point that fact is all anybody has to go on. Someone posted earlier, "Being 6'5 and 230 doesn't make you a good QB". So true.
As far as Cam Robinson starting etc., I think the best player should play, period, regardless of classification. But when we signed him I didn't run around doing cartwheels saying, "Cam Robinson's going to be our starting left tackle next year! Coach Saban wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't going to come in and play immediately!". Robinson earned the job by going through a full spring practice and beating the others out for the position.
That's different from a brand new QB who just started practice.
I'll say this again, If Coker's the starter I'll pull for him 100%, but I'll be surprised if Blake doesn't start against West Virginia.
sip

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The only thing I've said about Coker is that he hasn't shown me anything yet. Neither has he shown you anything yet, or nobody on this board for that matter. He hasn't been on the field for goodness sakes.
I did not say I'll be disappointed if Coker plays. I said I'd be disappointed if Blake doesn't get at least one chance to start, because he has never had an opportunity to show what he can really do in a competitive game situation. I've also said, repeatedly, that if he screws it up and can't handle it that he can always be replaced.
Coach Saban has traditionally appreciated the efforts of players who have given their absolute all for an extended time period.
I think Blake is one of those players, and will start against West Virginia. That's not a knock against Coker, that's not saying Blake is better than Coker, that's not me not liking Coker, that's not me being anti-Coker. I'm simply saying that I think Blake will get a chance to start the West Virginia game. That's not proclaiming him as the year long starter. That's one game, one snap, one chance.
The only "ANTI's" in this thread are you and the the Pro-Cokers. You guys are 100% totally "Anti-Blake", have had nothing whatsoever to say good about him and have criticized him up, down, chewed him up, spit him out, and deemed him as an unworthy possibility as our QB.
I don't get riled up when someone disagrees with me on this board. But I'll defend a Bama player who's being ridiculed with every ounce of my energy, especially when the criticism is totally unfounded.
Blake's statistics both as a passer and runner surpass Cokers to this point in their college careers. Look it up.
At this point that fact is all anybody has to go on. Someone posted earlier, "Being 6'5 and 230 doesn't make you a good QB". So true.
As far as Cam Robinson starting etc., I think the best player should play, period, regardless of classification. But when we signed him I didn't run around doing cartwheels saying, "Cam Robinson's going to be our starting left tackle next year! Coach Saban wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't going to come in and play immediately!". Robinson earned the job by going through a full spring practice and beating the others out for the position.
That's different from a brand new QB who just started practice.
I'll say this again, If Coker's the starter I'll pull for him 100%, but I'll be surprised if Blake doesn't start against West Virginia.
sip
I'm done discussing this topic with you. Everybody else can discuss it on here without a problem. I made several points in my previous post that you had no response to because they showed your flawed logic. And then you always reply and move the goal posts. You are the only one on this board getting worked up about this topic. Does everybody else have a problem or maybe just you? :eek:

Almost everything discussed on this board is opinion based. If there had to be proof to discuss something this board would not have much activity. Yet for some reason you demand proof for someone to have an opinion in this instance. Kinda odd...

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
You'll hope he fails.
Trust me.
sip
That's goofy, and you know it. If you can speak without the mysterious emotions-on-your-sleeves rhetoric, I would more enjoy your comments. I'm not copying/pasting all of your MANY past comments on this, but many of them are irrational diatribes, and many of them suggesting if you're pro-Coker, well then you're anti-Sims. That's ridiculous on its face! If you read my post from yesterday, you'll see that I'm in no particular camp. So it's absurd to me, with several weeks of practice remaining, that anyone can take ANY side (pro-Coker, pro-Sims, etc) with too much of a strong opinion. The Process dictates that the best player wins out. Saban has let young guys (which Coker is not a "young" guy, except for our system) either flat-out start, or get tons of meaningful playing time. So I'm not sure what your point was on the "process" comment. And of course, what do you think one of the goals of this Process would be? Succeeding on the field? "Winning Now"? Duh

Good grief. Please post about other topics and drop this one, if you can't leave the emotions out of it, because I just don't understand it. "I think we should just start all of our highest seniority guys against WVU. Whoever has been to the most "fourth quarter programs" should be our 24 starters." Yeah... Do you see how that sounds??

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm done discussing this topic with you. Everybody else can discuss it on here without a problem. I made several points in my previous post that you had no response to because they showed your flawed logic. And then you always reply and move the goal posts. You are the only one on this board getting worked up about this topic. Does everybody else have a problem or maybe just you? :eek:

Almost everything discussed on this board is opinion based. If there had to be proof to discuss something this board would not have much activity. Yet for some reason you demand proof for someone to have an opinion in this instance. Kinda odd...
There's no "problems" with anybody here as far as I'm concerned--just a very big difference of opinion in some cases. That doesn't mean everyone's not on the same page in just hoping the team performs at a championship level and brings home a title.
That also means I don't personally dislike someone because our opinions differ. Simply not the case.
I'm actually glad there's an occasional disagreement of opinions. If everyone was on the same page all the time the book would get pretty boring, don't ya think?
Have a good day and Roll Tide!
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.