Open Practice Report from Crimson Cover

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for that post. Interesting about OJ Howard. I've been watching some 2013 games on Youtube and was surprised that Howard made some key blocks on several plays that went for big yardage that I had missed during the season. One was Amari's end around against AU. He blocked one of AU' DB's 10 yards out of the play.

The knock on Coker's sailing the ball high is something I've noticed on what little film there is of him throwing the ball. I'm not up on QB throwing mechanics to know what he's doing that causes that but I hope Kiffen can work it out of him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Thanks for that post. Interesting about OJ Howard. I've been watching some 2013 games on Youtube and was surprised that Howard made some key blocks on several plays that went for big yardage that I had missed during the season. One was Amari's end around against AU. He blocked one of AU' DB's 10 yards out of the play.

The knock on Coker's sailing the ball high is something I've noticed on what little film there is of him throwing the ball. I'm not up on QB throwing mechanics to know what he's doing that causes that but I hope Kiffen can work it out of him.
I'm thinking if that's the only thing he's struggling with then he's doing aight. Sailing balls is normally a mechanical issue that can be fixed. Not sure if it can be fixed by the start of the season.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
If there is one thing that CLK is great at it's developing a QB. I trust he will get Coker ready. Some guys play better in games than practice anyway. Kind of how some guys are great in practice but look lost during live competition.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I'm thinking if that's the only thing he's struggling with then he's doing aight. Sailing balls is normally a mechanical issue that can be fixed. Not sure if it can be fixed by the start of the season.
Sailing balls can usually arise from nerves as well. I am sure that Coker is probably feeling alot of pressure right now. Too, it takes some adjusting to throwing with a line in front of you as opposed to pass skel drills with WRs only. Both Sims and Coker are going to need extensive reps and scrimmaging to work through the nervousness.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Sailing balls can usually arise from nerves as well. I am sure that Coker is probably feeling alot of pressure right now. Too, it takes some adjusting to throwing with a line in front of you as opposed to pass skel drills with WRs only. Both Sims and Coker are going to need extensive reps and scrimmaging to work through the nervousness.
In Coker's case, from every high throw I've seen, it is most certainly due to him turning away from a defender instead of standing tall in the pocket and following through properly. He's releasing quickly, then turning his body quickly to avoid the rush (whether real or perceived) and is thereby launching the ball too high instead of pointing down his target and following through properly. These issues CAN be fixed...but since it really is as much a mental thing as it is physical, the question is really can Coker get used to SEC defensive front rushes enough to follow through properly every time, even in the heat of a game? That remains to be seen, and his ability to start as our QB does as well.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I said it months ago and I'll say it again: expect a lot more turnovers out of Coker than we're used to. He'll make some plays with his legs that will hopefully make up for it though.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I said it months ago and I'll say it again: expect a lot more turnovers out of Coker than we're used to. He'll make some plays with his legs that will hopefully make up for it though.
My guess is we're not going to pass a lot this season. Whether it's Sims or Coker really doesn't matter. I don't believe either one will have the command of the passing game enough for us to pass a lot. I see more of a pass when we have to type game plan until one of the qb's get more comfortable and accurate in the pocket.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know there's legitimate concern about the qbs, but I really believe there's a qb on the squad that can sail this ship if for some reason Sims and Coker can not.

I know we don't want to think about it, but Bateman and Cornwell could actually play this year.

Bateman seems to be doing everything right and quietly progressing as a qb.

From the video of all the qbs early in camp, Cornwell has got the smoothest and maybe quickest release of any of them. If his knee gets stronger (I noticed he's not wearing a brace right now) and the guys in front of him struggle early to mid season, I wouldn't be shocked to see him play. I hope it doesn't come to that becaues it would probably mean we've dropped a couple of games, but I really wonder if Cornwell was 100% if we wouldn't be talking about him more right now.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I agree he will throw more INT's than AJ but if it's 'a lot more' then he won't be starting. As of right now I could see his regular season stats being something like 2,400 yrds passing 360 yrds Rushing 18-20 TD's passing 4-5 Rushing TD's 8-10 Ints. We could be very good with that production.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
My guess is we're not going to pass a lot this season. Whether it's Sims or Coker really doesn't matter. I don't believe either one will have the command of the passing game enough for us to pass a lot. I see more of a pass when we have to type game plan until one of the qb's get more comfortable and accurate in the pocket.
If Coker goes over 300 passes this year I'll be a bit surprised. I expect to see a lot of games with only 20-25 passes total, at least early.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I agree he will throw more INT's than AJ but if it's 'a lot more' then he won't be starting. As of right now I could see his regular season stats being something like 2,400 yrds passing 360 yrds Rushing 18-20 TD's passing 4-5 Rushing TD's 8-10 Ints. We could be very good with that production.
That would be good production. I expect a couple more INTs than that though.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I know there's legitimate concern about the qbs, but I really believe there's a qb on the squad that can sail this ship if for some reason Sims and Coker can not.

I know we don't want to think about it, but Bateman and Cornwell could actually play this year.

Bateman seems to be doing everything right and quietly progressing as a qb.

From the video of all the qbs early in camp, Cornwell has got the smoothest and maybe quickest release of any of them. If his knee gets stronger (I noticed he's not wearing a brace right now) and the guys in front of him struggle early to mid season, I wouldn't be shocked to see him play. I hope it doesn't come to that becaues it would probably mean we've dropped a couple of games, but I really wonder if Cornwell was 100% if we wouldn't be talking about him more right now.
I agree and I've felt for months that Cornwell is the best and most talented QB on our roster. The injury, depth chart, youth, and bringing Coker in probably means Redshirt unless a disaster happens. I do think Cornwell is our next Star QB. I could see him taking over in 2016 as a RS Soph with 3 to play similar to AJ's path.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
My only worry is having such an incredible corps of receivers, and not being able to stretch the field due to QB woes.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Agreed. I think if we can stay between 18-25 pass attempts we're in business. If we have to go over that then it probably means we're not doing too good.
Agreed - with our stable of backs, the only issue I could see would be if our OL is not up to snuff and we can't run down people's throats.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think we are going to see a lot of dink and dunk passing early or at least until CNS has confidence that one or the other are not going to tun the ball over. We generally win on a ball security offensive scheme and a ferocious defense. I suspect we'll see an offense more like we had in previous years when no one could stop us from running the ball even when they knew it was coming. Regardless of who is the QB, If the O-line doesn't play well, we will be a good and not great team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.