Open Practice Report from Crimson Cover

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I believe Coker will be just fine especially with all the weapons we have on our offense.
`Yes, I'm predicting that Coker will win the job and will have 24TDs/5 INTs with over 2600 passing yards
`

Hartley, those are AJ numbers. That may be too much to expect from a quarterback who hasn't thrown a meaningful pass since his senior year in high school. One thing is for sure: If we get that level of QB play, we will steamroll the country this year.

hartleyb

Scout Team
Jan 9, 2009
`

[/B]Hartley, those are AJ numbers. That may be too much to expect from a quarterback who hasn't thrown a meaningful pass since his senior year in high school. One thing is for sure: If we get that level of QB play, we will steamroll the country this year.
I hear you, I just believe that CLK will have defense so confuse it will open up our passing game. I truly believe that we have the best group of offensive weapons in CFB.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
No way they brought Coker in with strictly a backup role in mind. No way. That is a toxic situation waiting to happen if that is the case. Because Coker specifically transferred to be able to have a legit shot at starting. Not come in with the understanding that he was brought in to be insurance. And to have a legit shot at starting means the staff isn't sold on the guys they already have.
I agree that Coker was brought in to be given a legit shot. What I said was that whether Blake or Jake starts I believe our coaches wanted to know they had at least a little experience at the back up position whether it be Blake or Jake, if that makes sense.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I hear you, I just believe that CLK will have defense so confuse it will open up our passing game. I truly believe that we have the best group of offensive weapons in CFB.
We certainly have an amazing amount of skill players walking into the huddle on every snap. If the line can block a little and if the quarterback can control his nerves and see the field, this offense can be special. Two big question marks are standing in the way.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I gotta do it and I swore I wouldn't...BUT...I have to....
Has anyone even mentioned Blake as a possibility in this thread?
Coker's over throwing everybody in practice...no biggie, he'll transform into Namath in the games, right?
I just hope everyone knows, I'm not anti-Coker. I'm just dumbfounded that he was proclaimed as the starter before he even enrolled, and NOW, people are trying to make excuses for him over throwing passes.
Here's why he's over throwing passes---because he's not accurate with his passes.
Duh.
Is there even a possibility that he's not the guy?
Is there even a remote possibility that Blake may be the starter because he will make the fewest mistakes? Not to mention that he can take the ball down the field with his legs in a heartbeat.
If you compare the stats from last year, Blake kicked his butt. Google it.
Coker's big game was against Bethune-Cookman, and he barely completed 50% of his passes.
Blake, like it or not, was put in mop up games where Coach S. got ticked if we scored.
He still did better than Coker.
He's never even been given a chance to show what he can do.
I may be completely wrong, and if I am, so be it, but I still think our starting QB against West Virginia will be Blake Sims.
We'll just see. Meanwhile, let the unGodly admiration of Coker continue.
I've never seen anything like it. Ever. Not even close. Ridiculous.
sip
Sooo, you're saying Coker still has a chance???? ;-). J/K

RTR

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
No way they brought Coker in with strictly a backup role in mind. No way. That is a toxic situation waiting to happen if that is the case. Because Coker specifically transferred to be able to have a legit shot at starting. Not come in with the understanding that he was brought in to be insurance. And to have a legit shot at starting means the staff isn't sold on the guys they already have.
He graduated; not transferred

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He graduated; not transferred
Technically true and that is why he could transfer and play immediately.

However, if he was content to be a back up he could have stayed at FSU for the next two years, which is the remaining years of eligibilty he has left.

Translation: what he was told by CNS wasn't anything about coming in to compete for the backup role.

No, I don't think he was promised the starting job and he'll have to earn it, if he does start.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I've seen B Sims play both in games and at A-Day. Granted there has never been a game on the line when he played, so we're not sure of his mettle, but his body of work thus far has been less than inspiring. At this point, I'm more intrigued (excited?) by the unknown of Coker than by what I've actually seen of Sims. Having said that, let me add, with emphasis, I'm for the QB that gets us into the endzone enough to beat the opponent.

Tidefan1

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2013
I've seen B Sims play both in games and at A-Day. Granted there has never been a game on the line when he played, so we're not sure of his mettle, but his body of work thus far has been less than inspiring. At this point, I'm more intrigued (excited?) by the unknown of Coker than by what I've actually seen of Sims. Having said that, let me add, with emphasis, I'm for the QB that gets us into the endzone enough to beat the opponent.
Judging Blake Sims based on previous game performances is ridiculous. The only times he's ever played were in blowouts running a watered down version of the offense. Rarely has he even had the opportunity to throw a pass in a live game.

So my good friend, you base this analysis on what? I'm interested in knowing. Why is he going to be great?
Never said great, more like good enough. I've been reading as many articles as I can on him. Just to get a good "feel" of what's going on. One article from BOL reporter Trevor Hewett says

" The quarterback situation is one that I don't think we will have a definite answer on until West Virginia. There is no doubt that Jacob Coker has all of the physical tools, but watching him on Sunday you could see that there are definitely still some timing issues that need to be worked on."

Timing gets better with time. (Haha) But we still can't count out B Sims in this either. Will they make mistakes yes. I believe Sims will throw some INTs too. All in all, it's a waiting game for us. I'm more concerned over the OL right now than anything, heard there is no push against the DL. But we may have the best DL in college football.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I believe the bolded statement is the reason for the majority take that Coker>Sims.

That may not be fair to either of them, but it is what it is IMO.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The short version of it is simply that Sims is better than a lot of people realize, and Coker is less refined than a lot of people realize.

I watched Coker play last year, sure, he has talent but the name I keep bringing up is Mettenberger. Big strong guy, the type of build and arm strength that the pros look for, but he didn't exactly hit the ground running at LSU (12 TDs/7 INTs his first year as a starter), and it wasn't until his senior season that the he really started to realize his potential. Coker has tons of potential, but the simple fact is he's both less experienced, and has had less success in actual games than Blake Sims. Saban simply won't let Coker go out there and have a season like Mettenberger's 2012 season, potential or not, he won't allow it.

In back to back games, against Arkansas and Tennessee, Marshall had a combined 15 pass attempts. Despite assertions to the contrary, there's really not much Marshall can do that Sims can't. There's no question at all in my mind, that if Coker doesn't show consistency, Saban would prefer to go with Sims, and if needs be a run oriented offense, vs. allowing the passing game to be a liability. However, Saban also clearly would prefer to have a more traditional, balanced offense.

I think that's what this all comes down to. Saban likes what Sims can do, but as we saw in A-Day, if he's forced into a more traditional role he will struggle. Coker has the potential to run a more traditional offense, and that's why he was brought in. But, remember this, he has two years of eligibility. Winston is talking about staying after this upcoming season, meaning he might never have had a shot at starting. Sims only has one year of eligibility. So, it does not all hinge on Coker starting this year...

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Judging Blake Sims based on previous game performances is ridiculous. The only times he's ever played were in blowouts running a watered down version of the offense. Rarely has he even had the opportunity to throw a pass in a live game.
But on the other hand, the most recent memory many have of Sims is that during this year's spring game he was given plenty of opportunities to drop back in a protected/no contact pocket and throw to some wide open receivers with little to no success.

Rational thought is if you can't do it in an environment that is to your advantage, how can you do it in a live game when the defense can/will blitz and put you on your rear.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
But on the other hand, the most recent memory many have of Sims is that during this year's spring game he was given plenty of opportunities to drop back in a protected/no contact pocket and throw to some wide open receivers with little to no success.

Rational thought is if you can't do it in an environment that is to your advantage, how can you do it in a live game when the defense can/will blitz and put you on your rear.
Did you watch the same A-Day game I did? The DL was in every QB's lap in no time. Blake didn't scramble like he would in a game. I think Saban was even a little upset by that. Saban even said after the game they didn't do some of the stuff that Blake does well. Why does that matter if he couldn't even do a "basic" offense like Bama ran in April? Because that stuff would keep the defense honest. Just like with Nick Marshall or Manziel or Bo Wallace, a defense won't immediately crash the RB if they know Blake can run with it.

I believe Sims starts against WVU based on familiarity with the offense and teammates but Coker takes over the offense as the season progress. I just hope Blake has a role in the offense if Coker is the starter.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The short version of it is simply that Sims is better than a lot of people realize, and Coker is less refined than a lot of people realize.

I watched Coker play last year, sure, he has talent but the name I keep bringing up is Mettenberger. Big strong guy, the type of build and arm strength that the pros look for, but he didn't exactly hit the ground running at LSU (12 TDs/7 INTs his first year as a starter), and it wasn't until his senior season that the he really started to realize his potential. Coker has tons of potential, but the simple fact is he's both less experienced, and has had less success in actual games than Blake Sims. Saban simply won't let Coker go out there and have a season like Mettenberger's 2012 season, potential or not, he won't allow it.

In back to back games, against Arkansas and Tennessee, Marshall had a combined 15 pass attempts. There's no question at all in my mind, that if Coker doesn't show consistency, Saban would prefer to go with Sims, and if needs be a run oriented offense, vs. allowing the passing game to be a liability. However, Saban also clearly would prefer to have a more traditional, balanced offense.

I think that's what this all comes down to. Saban likes what Sims can do, but as we saw in A-Day, if he's forced into a more traditional role he will struggle. Coker has the potential to run a more traditional offense, and that's why he was brought in. But, remember this, he has two years of eligibility. Winston is talking about staying after this upcoming season, meaning he might never had had a shot at starting. Sims only has one year of eligibility. So, it does not all hinge on Coker starting this year...
And that's exactly what will happen, you can bank on it. We are not equipped or trained to switch to an offense like Auburn where we have a dominating offensive line (as they did last season) and are proficient at running an offense that doesn't really have to pass. Even Auburn (this season) will be moving away from that because their OL will not be as dominating and Gus knows he'll need to pass more. Maybe Sims gets in the real games and all of a sudden develops field vision. I don't know. I can only go by what I've seen and what I've seen I'd rather have Coker in there and develop him as he plays than have a senior who appears to be more of a runner than a passer.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Um, I'm not sure why this keeps being an issue, but:

Blake Sims has not yet been "the guy"

Jacob Coker has not been "the guy" at FSU, and obviously not here

Cooper Bateman has not yet been "the guy"

No starting experience at major D1 football among 'em. Some people favor Sims, some Coker, some even like the looks of Bateman.

My leanings? I have none. I'm for who wins out before game #1. I like them all. Sims is intriguing, and if he can run the entire offense, and make all the throws, more power to him. If Coker comes in and just takes over, good for him. If Bateman surprises us all, and wins out, woohoo! It's a healthy competition, and that's good for us, regardless of the outcome.

Some folks just need to cool their jets on their opinions, because they're just that: opinions.

We had some coaches named Mike, before Saban, that thought letting players start because of seniority was a good idea. And how did that turn out?

This Program, this Process...kids have to earn what they get. They go to work. This is no namby-pamby team of "Aw, give it to him because he's been here". That's a bunch of hooey.

The guys that need to start are the guys that prove in offseason, work-outs, practices, etc, that they are the guys that deserve to play. That is how it should be, and I am thankful that's the way it is at Bama.

OK, back to the useless debate and side-taking. :)

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
From all the reports, I can't help but to get excited about the defense. Sounds like they are returning to that hunger that Bama became know for under Saban. With the offense, really excited to see what they can accomplish this year. May be the best team of playmakers and talent we have ever fielded in one time. I know there's a lot of talk about the QBs but with the WRs, TEs and RBs we have, kinda hard to see how we aren't able to put together a solid corp that will mask any deficients at the QB level.

I'm more optimistic than I was simply because they as a team are showing that hunger thats needed to be successful.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I agree. Seems there is excuse-making in both the Blake and Jake camps.

I have no worries. The coaches will play the players who give the team the best shot at success. No use in us getting upset and having a mini-civil war over it. Personally, I hope any player who gets into the game this year has a stellar year, or a stellar game, or a stellar play.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Did you watch the same A-Day game I did? The DL was in every QB's lap in no time. Blake didn't scramble like he would in a game. I think Saban was even a little upset by that. Saban even said after the game they didn't do some of the stuff that Blake does well. Why does that matter if he couldn't even do a "basic" offense like Bama ran in April? Because that stuff would keep the defense honest. Just like with Nick Marshall or Manziel or Bo Wallace, a defense won't immediately crash the RB if they know Blake can run with it.

I believe Sims starts against WVU based on familiarity with the offense and teammates but Coker takes over the offense as the season progress. I just hope Blake has a role in the offense if Coker is the starter.
My point is, we are not going to suddenly become an Auburn type offense with a qb who is a "run first" and "throw second" type qb. That is not our identity.

If our qb can't complete basic passes occasionally, it'll be a long season.

Nobody doubts Sims can't run the spread option. The concern is when he would have to drop back and pass and the evidence we have seen is not reassuring.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.